Gay night elf marriage is now part of lore SPOILERS

It is a general “issue”.
My approach is, if homosexual relationships or even raw sex, does not offer something to the game lore or desired feeling, no need to include it. But I don’t know how gay people, feel about that. Do they need to see gay couples, in a Medieval theme game? I am curious.

PS: an example from movies/TV shows. I didn’t liked at all, the gay sex element in GOT. I didn’t even like so much straight sex scenes. It distracts me from the main theme.

WoW is not a single narrative book or movie though. It’s a game, specifically a open world rpg. So it will have minor characters with little to no importance to central narrative that just serves to fill out the world and make it seem alive and inhabited by people.

So a few characters being in a relationship then is not an issue for me. It’s world-building filler.

They should have weddings in wintergrasp and silvermoon then for some world-fixing instead of building.

Silvermoon is lost to time and space. Stuck in TBC purgatory.

1 Like

This thread is very useful. Every time it gets bumped, I have more homophobic trash to put on ignore. Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t believe that there are so many homophobic people. The fact that we all have a friend, cousin, brother or even father, with that sexual orientation, make it impossible (imo) to hate/despite homosexuals. I believe some people are just not ready to accept aesthetically, two men being intimate with each other. Especially the older generations.

Maybe it is homophobia. But in a much less harmful way.

Well, I mean, if you mean just gratuitous sex scenes, then I agree, they have no place in the game, relationships, be they straight or gay, are not all about the sex though, because in a world with powerful people in charge of nations vying for power it is only natural, that just like in our world, relationships would be built based upon such things. I mean consider the recent short story on Blizz’s website about Lor’themar and Thalyssra becoming a ‘thing’ No sex scene at all, they kiss, once at the end, but it is apparent through the story that they have both fallen for each other. This actually adds to the game. Why? Because it explains in even deeper terms the close relationship between the Shal’dorei and the Sin’dorei, because their leaders are in love.

Likewise, the two fella’s in Ardenweald who are husbands are in love. So what, they’re not rogering each other on screen, it is just referred to as a matter of fact thing, which maybe it is on the planet Fyzandi (Because lets remember, in life they were not Night Elves at all and never have been, because they have likely never ever even seen Azeroth, just Fyzandi and then the Shadowlands). The references about their relationship are much -less- intrusive and awkward than the terrible Tyrande and Malfurion scenes in Legion, which were just…ugh… I mean I’m straight, and I know I hated that whole scenario and found it cringeworthy.

Also, WoW isn’t exactly Medieval to be honest, it doesn’t actually fit any time period, but I know what you mean. Thing is, even in Medieval times, there was -plenty- of that thing going on. :stuck_out_tongue:

To be honest they focussed too much on the sex scenes in GoT in general, gay or straight, the books aren’t really like that. Yes everyone is at it like knives, using sex as a political means to an ends, but George R R Martin doesn’t go into graphic detail, you just know that ‘things happen’. Some times he does give some details like “Both of these people like what is happening” or “One of these people definitely does -not- like what is happening” (Not in those exact words obviously) but there isn’t as much obsession with it, as there is in the television series. But then I suppose that is just the difference between books and TV. TV requires a visual element, whereas with books you make your own pictures in your head from description. I mean most adults can read a book and go “Oh yes, two people are having sex, oddly, I know what having sex looks like, and feels like, I get the idea, two people are having sex”. Which is why when authors try to go into graphic detail in books, they generally get lampooned. I’m pretty sure there is actually a mocking award given to the worst written sex scenes in literature each year.

It’s also why despite desperate people buying 50 Shades of Grey, it is actually regarded by most people in literature as absolute teenage virgin style writing about someone who -thinks- they know what sex is like, but has never actually had it. (Fun fact, it was originally called ‘Master of the Universe’ and was a Twilight Fanfic :laughing: Genuinely not making that up)

Fortunately, with the two Fyzandians, we never see them getting it on.

OK, well that’s kind of a healthy attitude to take, sure, no one should hate or despise homosexuals, love is love after all, but you raise a good point, by the state of society now, just about everyone will at least -know- someone who is Homosexual, I mean none of my extended family are, although I do have an FTM Trans cousin, but I honestly couldn’t say how many homosexual friends I have, I know I have at least 2 Lesbian friends as they told everybody on facebook that they just got engaged, which is lovely, but how many gay friends in general? I’ve no idea, I don’t keep count, I mean I know some of my friends are gay for sure,

Thing is, and kind of like you say, I don’t want to see two men having sex, but -equally- I don’t want to see a man and a woman having sex, despite being straight. The reason is, if there is Sex going on, I want to be -having- it, not watching two other people have it on a screen.

I think there is a generational remove yeah. I’m Generation X, being 46, and to me Gay is normal, it’s not my cup of tea, but it is like, “Yeah, don’t care”. Even my mother at 67 is completely not homophobic, and was just raving the other day about a TV show shown in the UK called ‘It’s a Sin’ which was apparently brilliant, and all about the tribulations of gay people during the rise of AIDS, which oddly would have been exactly the same time I was turning old enough for hanky panky to start to appear on the horizon.

Maybe she is unusual in her attitude, and just very tolerant, but I think you’re looking at the generation -before- hers to really hit the ones who are -mostly- Homophobic, although having said that, I don’t even remember -her- dad being homophobic, or racist either. Trans wasn’t really a thing whilst he was alive so eh, who knows,

It might simply be that if you are brought up by tolerant people, you’re likely to pass that tolerance on to your kids, and them to their kids. I mean racism and homophobia are ‘learned’ behaviour, they’re not our default setting.

6 Likes

First off, Brigante, I love you. And I heard a youtube video, with your voice, and now I read all your posts in your voice, and love you even more. <3

Second off, I was just scrolling along and then realised this had over 2000 posts. Holy cow!
I’m trans, hooray, also pan. (That’s like Bi, but also including identity. Your kitchen utencils are still not safe however, I love to cook and I’m not good at it.)

The gay deer and unicorn are not shoving anything in your faces, if anything, it’s quite subtle, also beautiful.

Those saying that gay people are unnatural, are assuming that love only exists to procreate, I’d hate to see you in a relationship if you only see your SO as a tool to make kids.

7 Likes

If you haven’t seen it “it’s a sin” is a very worthwhile watch even if you’re not watching it just because of “gay representation” or whatever. It’s just a well put together piece of media.

I remember when me and my wife sat down to watch Dallas Buyer’s Club on one of our movie nights. What I thought it was going to be like and what is was actually like were very different. It’s very easy to dismiss many “gay stories” as being full of queens and cliches and all that, but there are some very hard-hitting perspectives to share that can be enjoyed even if one is not gay, in the same way we can enjoy a drama about someone overcoming a death in their family, or some other kind of tragedy, even if we haven’t experienced it ourselves.

I’ll always take a compliment, thank you! Which video was it, the Grommash one?

Ehh, whilst I am Het myself, I have a lot of Gay and Lesbian friends, who I adore deeply, I don’t know how many, I don’t keep a score card, and a Cousin who is FTM Trans, I am probably sickeningly ‘woke’ to those who don’t like being decent to other human beings.

Yeah, I went Ardenweald on Brigante because, well, Farstrider Ranger, so I have seen it, and honestly, it is referenced once or twice, but it is far less obnoxious than the Tyrande and Malfurion stuff in Legion, and certainly not ‘shoved in your face’ as much as that quest chain, which is just awkward as hell.

If I told the woman most dear to me in my life that, she would kick me in the, well, not a pleasant place for a man to be kicked let us say…

Purely haven’t seen it because it was zoom call table top RPG night’s those nights when it was on, my mother raves about it, so I may well watch it on catch up.
I know when it was -set-, which was kind of the time I was growing into the idea of sex being a ‘thing’ as opposed to ‘Ewww, Girls smell and are stupid’.
It was a mad time to be alive, to be honest.
the Adverts on TV didn’t help much, a big black monolith smashing down onto the ground “Don’t die of Ignorance”.

You were kind of like “I’m a young teenager, tell me facts! I’ve just got interested in girls! What ignorance? Ignorance of what? Is having sex going to kill me?”

Between that and the “protect and survive” screenings, it was a bloody mental time to grow up as a kid.

Definitely on my ‘To Watch’ list though.

2 Likes

Dear lord. It’s as if the charactes are mounting eachother infront of your nose. All they do is tell you once maybe twice that they are partners. Can we get a lock here already Blizz?

3 Likes

Only in goldshire

Said the druid…
:deer:

2 Likes

There’s more than one? <3 Yes, the Grommas one!

Ever find that the people who hate “woke” people, are the same people who say everyone always gets offended too easily? Meanwhile they’re being offended by gay people existing. XD

It’s unpleasant for women to be kicked their too, the location has a lot of nerve endings and well… let’s just not kick people shall we? =D

I wish I had you as a Btag friend, you’re very sound, I don’t understand anyone who’d find you “sickening”, you’re a very awesome person, and I have always loved reading your forum posts!

1 Like

He is i love him and count him as a very good friend .

Next time the thread is bumped after its been a dead a few weeks check out who it is and there alts :wink:

3 Likes

Super jealous!

And yeah, Ii was worried I’d be posting on a long dead post when I did, Then noticed it was still active. O=

I see it’s been dead a few times.

1 Like

Ahah, thought it might be. I enjoyed working on that one, though as I say, I just did the VA for that, the actual words are someone elses. Good writing though, really flowed and as a result was easier to record. The only other youtube stuff up currently is a piece I did as a chapter of ‘Tales of the Free Cities’ for a game called ‘Guild Ball’ by Steamforged Games, again, good fun, but they were doing an introduction to the various guilds, one at a time, so I only recorded for ‘The Masons’ chapter.

Then there is one of me drinking a glass of Cava champagne mixed with a tub of glitter as a bet at a New Years Party. Not VA work, also not a bet I would advise anyone to take! :smiley:

Constantly. I love some of the terms they come out with. “Snowflake” “What, so you’re saying I am unique, one of a kind and special, gee, thanks”
“SJW” “Wow, so you are saying I am a person who likes people, and people like me, that I believe in fairness and equity for all, and I am prepared to stand up for those ideals? That’s so cool! You make me sound like Captain America or something!”

“Woke”
“So like, the opposite of ‘asleep’ then? Depends which time you use the word, oh, you mean ‘aware’? Yes thanks, I am both Sentient and Sapient so can definitely be described as such”

Those sorts really hate it when you use logic and linguistics to pull apart what they think are insults.

I think it is a 4chan thing.

Yes, lets not…I more meant what girlface’s reaction would be if I referred to her as a baby machine. She’s a fiery one. A Surfing biker chick who sings lead in a rock band and can drink more than a Royal Marine. I think a hoof to the pods would be her response :stuck_out_tongue:

Join up on the Discord, I don’t generally put my Btag on the forums, but if you do that I can sling it your way via a private message. Check out the ‘Hear Ye, Hear Ye’ Forumers are Summoned’ Thread which is on the first page, and check out the most recent link. Actually a lot of very sound people on there.

Be damned easier if the forums had a way to DM people, but ehhh, it is what it is…

2 Likes

I have a bad enough time with it getting under my fingernails, but under my tongue? No thank you!

Never enough social justice rogues or mages!

If it’s the opposite of asleep, I am very far from woke. *Yawn*

Sounds like a fun life! I can drink more than a Royal Marine too though… but then I keel over and die. I suspect your friend does it without that part!

A friend and message feature on the forums would make a ton of sense, I’m genuinely surprised that it’s not a thing as is!

1 Like

I can’t seem to find that thread anymore. Can you post the Discord link?

I believe this is the thread and I that comment has the most recent link :slightly_smiling_face::

2 Likes