General RP Chat #52: *A flash of light did nothing*

Post 601, go!

Flipping through the old dream stories I’m despairing that the older ones can’t even be googled if I search their titles verbatim from memory. I wanted to adapt some into writing!

Also, Blizzard mods destroyed a thread for trolling, making me lose a delightful poem.

Is it just me who barely does any content and still spends most of their gaming time on WoW?
Like, the game itself to me is so, so secondary. I was playing BfA all the time, even back when it was utter, unplayable crap, because I was just RPing.

And believe me, I do despise the entire expansion to its core even though I play it. That’s just because it obliterated my entire friend list, pretty much, and most of the people I used to RP with all the time are just no longer around. Which is sad af.

Since the Azshara patch I have been forced to accept the fct that my poor laptop just cannot keep up. That kind of sapped my desire to play for the time being. Might get a new laptop at some point and maybe that’ll ignite the spark again.

Roleplaying a lot, yes. I haven’t found the time to quest very far. It’s nice being busy with stories but it’ll be tricky to catch up when I’m not.

So, how are we finding Classic?

1 Like

I like it but I also hate it, but I also love it

1 Like

I haven’t tried it. Because I’m a filthy casual that can’t handle tough as nails vigimo gameez

So I’m here to put an end to the “Draenei = Eredar” thing with a simple explanation.
Their culture has departed so far from their ancient past that they are no longer who they once were. It’s like calling an Italian roman, a Turk greek, or an Englishman German.
Do consider the effects of time and the lore we are given. :smile:

5 Likes

Yes, their culture changed

True, but an Italian, a Roman, a Turk , a Greek, an Englishman and a German is a Human ! Like how a “Black”, a “White”, a “Red”, or “Yellow” one is a Human even tho’ their look ,skin color and culture and even language are different
The Draenei suddenly not changed their biology when left Argus, nor the Lightforged. True, the Man’ari are changed a lot, due the Fel and Demonic influence, and some of them became Demons, but not all.
Good example for this the Orcs
Is a Mag’har an Orc? Yes. Yes they are
Are the “greenskins” who drank Mannoroth’s blood and got tainted by Fel are Orcs? Yes
Even the Red Orcs/Fel orcs are Orcs
Like how we call the Kaldorei, Shal’dorei, Quel’dorei, Sin’dorei Elves. They are Elves. And they changed way more that the Draenei, the “exiled Ones” changed after they left Argus or the Lightforged
Eredar is the race name, all the others are as you said, names of the groups with different culture
We not really stopped calling Germans Humans after the II. World War or their victims left behind the Human racial name, yet they (not all, especially not the populace - let’s not drag that one in to this) did some nasty things, like the Man’ari “unnatural” Eredars in the service of the Legion.

Actually, what effects? The Draenei changed their culture to be a Light-centered “cult” and started worship the Naaru and adopted some of their technology. And the Man’ari became mostly red skinned (not all, Archimonde for example) or grew wings. The Lightforged gained cool metal tattoos.
How many generations was born and raised since they left Argus?
We don’t know
But we DO know, lots of the Draenei/Lightforged are from Argus, from pre-Sargeras era (enough NPC around, like that mushroom vendor on Draenor, etc) and they not changed (the ghosts and even the language of the pre-Sargeras times Eredar are quite a proof of this) and looks like the new generation of Draenei kids running around

Presonally I think its a great source of RP how one tries to distance himself from the deeds of his people to a point even trying to proove, we are not related, please don’t mind the Man’ari who was the son on our ‘Draenei’ Prophet - OR try to reconnect with his past he had to left behind when was forced to flee his planet and desperatly tries to clean the Eredar name that once was respected in the Great Dark Beyond but was befouled the man’ari

You’re making a bad-faith argument based more around personal belief than the subtext supplied to us by the setting and the lore of it. Can a Draenei call themself an Eredar? Yes. Can people call Draenei Eredar? Yes.

Should they? No.
Is it a quality story to include reclaiming the word Eredar as a major focal point of your character as an excuse to use the contrarian version of an established race name?
No, it’s a lame excuse to feel special.

Anyhow to go further into this: Etymology isn’t as simple as “We call everyone human.” A name of a species varies from language to language. The Draenei, do not actively identify themselves as Eredar, nor their tongue as Eredun, they identify as the Exiled Ones, they speak the Exiled Tongue.

4 Likes

Please remember, as you type your upcoming response right now, that brevity is the soul of wit.

4 Likes

So your

as valid as mine

Its insulting, yes, and untill a Draenei alows it should not be done

So the whole description “The draenei (meaning Exiled Ones in their own tongue) are a faction of uncorrupted eredar who fled their homeworld of Argus to escape the corruption of the demonic Burning Legion” is just a little something you willingly ignore because… it not really fitting your views?

By the way, if someone wants to call his or her Draenei an Eredar, it is in totally in her/his right, as you said:

So don’t really see your point makeing the whole

Nor the reason why you feel you should correct some Dreanei players, nor any provided informations that condradicts mines

Fella, my guy.
I’m a man with opinions.
My opinion is that it is stupid, I’m not a dictator. You’re free to roleplay the son of Deathwing if you want. You can go outside and take up any number of substance abuses, or go and vote for a really whacky political party. No skin off my nose, you’re free to do it.

And I’m still gonna tell people they’re doing something stupid if they do something stupid like everything above.

1 Like

In your oppinion, “stupid”, but I see your point, and agree with you on some things about this topic
Lets agree you defend one side, I will the other :beer:
Since - wich is funny - we are both right :beers:

:smirk: :smirk: :smirk:

1 Like

that was a lovely little argument about something now wasn’t it

No right minded draenei would call themselves eredar nor want to “reclaim” it from the man’ari but you’re free to play a wrong headed draenei. That is all I’ll say.

I haven’t yet tried classic and I’m not sure that I want to. Is there even RP?

4 Likes

I have checked out the expected-to-be RP spots for Classic (Park, Cathedral Square and here and there in Teldrassil), and have seen a singular group of two people rp-ing it up so far, no one else. I have actually seen a couple of people rocking a finished TRP Profile out leveling in the world though, so it is very likely that a lot of them are just prioritizing leveling over roleplaying right now.

Personally I would recommend trying a bare minimum of classic if you’re on the fence, maybe to the first or second class quest, as I personally feel like those show off a majority of the flavour that is gained through playing Classic.

There was a minor event today, the opening of a bar in Dwarven District… Think it was mostly a ‘Start up rp!! Come one come all!’ and then after people split up a bit

I had several new dreams but the subject matter might get me flagged on these new forums with its ban bots…