GM banned a world buff dispeller for 6 months because of his streamer getting dispelled

I think the fact that the ban was reversed says that it’s not a bannable offence.

3 Likes

Way to go, taking it out of context. I never said that anything that pisses ppl off should be bannable. That’s jus tsilly. I said PvP is fine. What do you mean about AH? A friend of mine got banned for rigging the AH (he claims at least), but I think that was during MoP.

Like the other guy, u took it out of context. I said PvP is fine. Also, strong disagree on the reason to PvP. I think it is mostly done to dominate the other player, not to piss them off. EDIT: or for honor ofc.

Flash news - lots of ppl roll on PvP servers to grief the opposition. Your whole idea that “You actually have to be better than the other person for World PVP” is naive and has no bearing on what wPvP actually is like on PvP servers. Stuff like zerging people with uneven numbers, attacking a person while they have a mob on them and so on is your typical wPvP business, and you absolutely don’t need to “be better”. wPvP has never been a realistic bar for PvP skill to begin with.

1 Like

You’d be surprised at the counter measures alliance on firemaw and probably other servers take to get into BWL with world buffs. Plenty of things you can do. It’s become a game of cat and mouse where the mouse gets really salty when it loses of course.

I’m aware, hense why I said:

Your idea of “better” is a lot different to mine. I didn’t say you have to be more mechanically skilled or knowledgeable, I said better. You have to outplay and kill that person, whether by yourself or with better numbers of players.

Dispelling requires nothing. You ress, you dispell, you die, you repeat.

I’m aware, I left Firemaw and came to Bloodfang, it’s the same here. There’s a dwarf priest in BB dispelling every single tuesday and wednesday, from 7am to around 8pm.

I assume it’s the same for the Alliance.

The reality is that it’s simply griefing. The only enjoyment anybody gets from dispelling is, as you said, the knowledge of the salty mouse.

(I personally refer to avoiding others with my world buffs as Anne Frank simulator. No doubt somebody would find that offensive, though)

1 Like

I agree on every point. Just because it’s not bannable doesn’t mean it’s not griefing.

3 Likes

If it’s the terminology you’re arguing then yes, I would also call it griefing.

I disagree that the only enjoyment someone gets out of dispelling is knowing that the other person gets salty though, personally I love navigating a world where someone wants to take my buffs. It adds an element of danger that for better or worse creates some fun and frustrating memories which is what I want from my time in classic.

2nd degree fun, if you will.

So there we go, another prime example of the “non-existent” (denied by streamers) #streamerprivliges.

What we have seen so far:

-streamer testing prio
-streamer griefing bannable offense
-streamer only early beta test servers (SL)

Whats next?

-streamer only items/mounts?
-streamer only raids/dungeons?
-streamer only buffs?

2 Likes

how is it different to someone ganking someone and continuing to do so “just for the lulz” but that ok?

By your logic, 99% of the PVP server population are griefers. That’s the sole reason PVP servers are vastly populated. To “grief” the opposing faction by undermining their progress. You basically roll on a pvp server in order to be a “griefer”, using your logic.
The line that I wouldn’t cross though, and I hope other normal people wouldn’t either, is griefing your own faction, which in my opinion SHOULD be a bannable offence.

1 Like

That varies on the reason you PVP. Some PVP for fun, but if your version of PVP is corpsecamping and actively stopping somebody from playing the game, then yes; you are a griefer by definition.

Again: not bannable and I would never support people being banned when they were abiding by the rules. But just be honest with yourself, please.

Actually, I joined on a PVP server to fight for resources; because I like a little competition. I like being on my toes while I travel incase people decide to attack me.

1 Like

The fact that they overturned the suspension tells me that they’re saying it’s not a bannable offense.
Still, fire that GM. This is 100% textbook abuse of power and SHOULD NOT be tolerated.

5 Likes

Fair enough, makes sense I guess. Let’s leave it at that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Brb, making a Twitch account.

3 Likes

Certaintly, I just wanted it black on white in written form stating such if possible so we can make sure something like this or similar doesn’t happen again in the future.

Good. Now fire that GM.
This is 100% textbook abuse of power and SHOULD NOT under ANY circumstances be tolerated.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say a person “outplayed” me just because she stumbled upon me while I was fighting a mob, for example. There rly isn’t a lot of “outplaying” going on in wPvP at all, for the most part. Most wPvP matches are heavily skewed from the beginning, and while skill can matter in a wPvP match, most times the outcome is decided from the beginning by the starting conditions.

Again, so what? It’s not really different than just Fireblasting a low HP character or ganking a low level. This sort of stuff happens in a PvP server, and it’s one of the main reasons why I’d rather play PvE.

From my PoV, wPvP isn’t just about killing the other character - sometimes, inconveniencing them is a win of its own. Stuff like ruining pulls, stealing resources, etc. If you’re not prepared to fight at all levels, you shouldn’t roll on a PvP server, period. There’s no such a thing as honor in wPvP (well, outside the actual HK points, but you get the idea).

1 Like

Hunting people will Wbuffs, or attempting to get to the raid instance with your wbuffs isn’t quite the same as ganking a leveller or a farmer. Knowing people’s travel routes is important, as well as knowing their guild.

On my server, we had a guild who all had their mages logged off in the exact same spot. The immediately logged back on and instantly blew up half a raid group with sappers and novas, as that group passed the spot where they were logged.

That level of co-ordination takes much more effort than having a priest logged into Booty Bay and dispelling DMT buffs 24/7.

Yeah, and if you spend your days just camping low level / low health players; you are a griefer.

Opinion is irrelevant on that matter; if your joy in this game comes from causing “grief”, you are a griefer.

Which is why I’m firmly against dispellers getting banned. I don’t believe any form of griefing should be bannable, as long as it resides within the game’s limitations.

1 Like

Not entirely. Griefing is when you do it for no benefit and entirely just because you want the target to be pissed off. - that is griefing.