Grind leveling

Hey guys, I’ve been thinking of leveling a new alt and I want to try just mob grinding my way to 60 as it’s something I’ve never done I almost always quest/dungeon. However I want to do this while grinding mobs that drop high value items like Large Venom Sac, Elemental Earth and flame sacs. So I was looking to the community to perhaps put together a viable guide of what mobs to grind and where from 1-60.

Any help appreciated! :slight_smile:

My gm grinded most of his hunter’s levels, stocking up on elemental earths. I believe the earliest you can get them is from the lvl33-34 elementals near Dalaran.

Whilst you’re low twenties, you could try grinding the swamp elementals in Ashenvale and Wetlands? They drop a ton of low level herbs. Whilst the majority are obviously worthless, Swiftthistle usually fetches a nice price.

Aside from the swiftthistle, I can’t think of any teens/twenties mobs that drop high value items; aside from completely RNG twink drops.

So, im a lvl 40 hunter (this is my main) and have made about 600g. I have grinded as the list below. With that said i have done alot of quests aswell. If you just farm i bet you can earn alot more. Herbs from lvl 35+ zones can also make you a fortune.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

Lvl 10-20 - Light Feather from plainstriders and harpies in The Barrens.
Lvl 20-30 - Large Venom Sac, Spider Silk, Large Fang from spiders in Stonethalon and Hillsbrad.
Lvl 35-40 - Small Flame Sac, Wicked Claw, Large Fang from Dreaming Whelps in Swamp of sorrows.
40-45 - Elemental Earth, Solid Stone, Deeprock Salt from Eumbling Exiles in Arathi Highlands (less ppl here then Badlands).

4 Likes

Warlock, hunter and mage can really grind almost non stop. Except for mage you want melee mobs only so they don’t cast or shoot at you while you channel blizzard.

Thank you, this is a great list! :slight_smile: I’m a little nervous about going to the barrens as Alliance but no pain no gain :D.

Darkshore has plainstriders.

2 Likes

And Owlbeasts just east of Auberdine also drop the Light Feathers at a surprising rate and don’t have mixed spawns.

2 Likes

Sounds like a challenge. I’d do the last couple levels in Azshara farming Naga. There’s usually not many people there and there’s plenty of spawns. They can drop Edgemasters and you can get golden pearls from the shells they drop.

1 Like

Just an update so far it’s going quite well. I started a Night Elf Hunter and got to level 10 in Teldrassil before a friend offered to boost me in DM to get the cruel barbs, did a few runs and nothing great dropped although I got the Defias Chest and reached level 13.

From this point I moved to Darkshore and started grinding Plainstriders and Owlbeasts until level 17 for Light Feathers.

Once I hit 17 I moved to Northern Barrens and grinded Harpys till level 21 for Light Feathers. I only got ganked once the entire time I was there so it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.

I’m currently level 21 and have moved to Thelgen Rock in Wetlands for the Large Venom Sacs only farmed for 30 minutes so far and have gotten 3 Large Venom Sacs, will farm some more tomorrow.

I was able to sell stacks of Light Feathers for around 6g 90s-8g 50s depending on time, day and competition. I just checked Large Venom Sacs and they are going for 7g each.

So far at level 21 I’ve accumulated 121g. Not doing so bad!

3 Likes

…I think I might just link this post to everybody that cries about not being able to afford respec costs.

1 Like

I’m doing a bit of this on my hunter alt. Grinded spiders through hillsbrad for the venom sacs, now starting in Badlands, earth elementals.

1 Like

Good to hear! Would also like to know if you find any good spots lvl 30-35, because i didnt… :smile:

Update: the competition for Elemental Earth is not worth it right now on my server, therefore i searched for another spot. I went to Hinterlands and farmed Mangy Silvermanes for Tender Wolf Meat (35% drop rate) and Razorbeak Gryphon for Long Elegant Feathers (31% drop rate). Now, there is alot of these mobs and no competition what so ever, and my server is pretty crowded. The feathers i just sold at AH for about 35s each and with the meat i cooked Tender Wolf Steak and sold on AH for almost 1g each. However i just grinded this spot for 25% of a lvl (at 42) and managed to get 40 Wolf Meat and 20 feathers = almost 60g in total including greys and greens.

Pretty decent spot if you have cooking and not in the mood to fight for Elementals in Badlands or Arathi. Suggest you are atleast lvl 42 before doing this since some mobs around the area are lvl 46. And you can probably stay here for a good five lvls :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll let you know when I reach 30-35 but what comes to mind instantly would be going to Northern STV to kill Kurzen Medicine men for Jungle Remedy although I haven’t checked AH price yet. Another good spot may be Thousand Needles in The Shimmering Flats killing the Salt Flats Scavenger for Light Feathers and the Scorpids for Large Venom Sacs.

Mojojo here!

Another update - Currently level 25 I’ve had some good success farming in Thelgen Rock and Large Venom Sacs are a literal gold mine. On my server AQ only opened this week and at first they was slow sellers but I imagine after everyone has had a taste of Viscidus that they are now scrambling to the AH to buy from me ^^.

I’ve just moved on to farming whelps in Wetlands but Small Flame sacs are only selling for 1g 60s currently so I may move back to Thelgen Rock.

Currently level 25 - 405g accumulated

2 Likes

Wow! Whats is that, like 75g/level? Pretty insane if you ask me. Are you doing any quests or purely grinding?

Im soon lvl 47 and have made around 950g, but you will surely have alot more if you keep going. Im doing about 85% quests and 15% grinding right now tho. Really dont know where to grind atm also🤔

I’m purely grinding! I haven’t done a quest since I left Teldrassil and don’t intend to do any on the way to 60. I can’t rave enough about Thelgen Rock as the respawn rate is extremely fast so I never really had any downtime (would have been hard on any other class though) and could manage to get a lot of Large Venom Sacs relatively fast although I also had a bit of luck and found Feet of the Lynx which is a bis level 19 twink item, sold them for 25g. Also there is plenty of tin veins that spawn inside as well as the quest veins which helps with leveling mining. On my server there is almost no one listing coarse stone which I get from Tin veins on the AH so I have been selling them for 3-5g a stack.

I have herb and mining so I’ve been selling copper bars, tin ore, rough stone and coarse stone as well as swiftthistle, bruiseweed and wild steelbloom (all sell above 10g a stack) which I pick up on my way to my grind spots. Also Linen Cloth and Wool Cloth that I got in abundance from grinding Harpys. Because we are in P5 and the boosting meta is in full swing there is not a great supply of these materials in the AH so I’ve been able to profit from those guys that got boosted to 60 and suddenly want to level up professions as well as players who are changing professions to engineering to use sappers for Viscidus (I know my guild has asked for everyone to change to Engi as we was low on players who could sapper). Making bank from other players laziness sure feels good! :slight_smile:

On top of that I try to get full value out of everything including selling green item drops that have “of the monkey/eagle/bear” for 2-5g rather than vendoring them. As well as playing the auction house a little for example yesterday I saw only 3 stacks of Copper bars listed for 50s each I bought them out and relisted them for 3g 50s and since I was the only one selling they all sold.

Perhaps at 47 you could go to Feralas and grind on the Hatecrest Naga at Isle of Dread just south of Feathermoon Stronghold for Big-mouth Clam which might contain a Golden Pearl which is selling for 80g-90g currently on my server although you’ll have to check your servers AH price to see if it’s worth it.

Come back when you are at level 45, now its easy but its very slow

I’m really thinking about doing this myself on new server! How long are you spending grinding per day? What is your /played currently? Just curious :grin: also are you having any contest at the zones or are you alone all the time?

1 Like

So far my played is 1 day 8 hours at level 27 not very fast compared to boosting but I’m not really going for speed more just to relax, listen to some tunes, shoot some stuff and get rich while doing it! :smiley: How long I play depends if I need to raid prep, work, be social with mates and what not so I just log and grind when I can whether that’s 30 minutes or 6 hours.

I’ve done most of it early hours of the morning and have played some during the day too obviously theres more competition during the day though :slight_smile: but as for that competition:

Grinding in Darkshore - No competition had the zone to myself

Grinding Harpys in The Barrens - Some competition from Horde questing there and also high level mages farming it too although I was only ganked once the entire time I was there. There are that many harpys that even with other players I never had any downtime.

Grinding Thelgen Rock, Wetlands - A lot of competition during the day almost none in the early morning although again the respawn rates are high enough that I was always killing with no downtime. At most I’ve had about 4-5 other players in the cave with me and I still did quite well (track beast is a wonderful thing ^^) there was only one time there was too many players there so I went out to farm the red whelps and herb which is still nice gold!

1 Like

Just flew to Feralas, will try the nagas for abit :grin:
Yeah i also got feat of the lynx! And about five more blues in total. Two within five mins from the pirates in tanaris.
Im also a herbalist, and alchemy. I really dont know why and for what, but 20 wild steelblooms goes for around 20g on my server. Super easy flower to farm in stv/hillsbrad and very little to no competition. Almost got five stacks while questing there = 100g😁