Has World of Warcraft become Pay2Win?

We all have different goalposts that is very true, we set the prize for ourselves and the journey is an obstacle to overcome.

It’s just when the obstacle can be lifted with a purchase, I don’t really see that as inspiring gameplay that has replayability or immersion (for the right reasons anyway).

I mean, £300-£400 does really sound steep to many of us, to others it’s very little.

From another perspective, you have a 100hr grind ahead of you, that £300-£400 suddenly becomes quite cheap in comparison, even if you do cheat yourself, people clearly do. Games are very addicting and people often get more immersed into them than is probably healthy, WoW is exceptional at this too.

Where is the bis gear?

If money is no object it’s entirely possible to go to any server in the game, purchase what you need from tokens and move it back to a realm of your choosing. I think you could find what you needed pretty quickly.

Ashvane Coral is not available for purchase in a conventional sense but it’s completely possible to purchase a boost and have them stack classes for an improved chance if your pockets go that deep.

You are absolutely correct man.

I mean if you have enough money, you can buy blizzard and make IT guy click up all bis gear for your char in the database.

Totally p2w!

Yessir!! That was my first comment in the thread, obviously very extreme but in that respect, every game is P2W.

You can litterally buy advantage, be that gold to minimize time spent farming, extra rolls on loot via boosting and some other stuff including completion and more - fast-track avenues which are not available to everybody depending on how extreme you want to go with the spending.

Kindish,i mean there are Stores in other mmo games that take that part,but over hear since the game has a big player base and competitive wise it’s handled by the players.
Really not so sure what so hard to grasp its like in those mobile games where you buy gem’s/ruby for your money and you trade it in game for skip/better army (what ever) the middle man in this case is the WoW Token/Gold.

1 Like

By that logic no multiplayer game that ever existed has ever incorporated ‘winning’ into it, since they’re all continuous rinse and repeat kinda stuff.

I have a bad news for you
Thats the case

So should we then just abolish ‘win’ from the gaming lexicon? Or just from common used words in general, since if you really stretch definitions, you could say that winning in the strictest sense doesn’t actually exist at all in anything.

So you say that Limit didn’t won world first race ? because you can’t win in wow ?
People are in arenas don’t win? always draft ?

Maybe that’s the definition you first heard, doesn’t make it so, but whatever.

As I said, the definition of P2W now seems to be opinion.

And so what if WoW is P2W ? How does it affect your game ?

BTW, paying a sub has never been a criteria for P2W, you’ve made that up to try and support your claim.

1 Like

Yes
They won a race, not WoW
Try as you want, you can’t win WoW, you can win in aspects of the game, like Arena, or some race, but not WoW
But since nobody forces you to compete, nor any meaningfull reward that imortalize you… those winings are basically yes, meeningless on the long run
Name the last person who won in the Arena… if you care about maybe you could
But mostly nobody cares who won in what in the given aspects in the game
Thus p2w is a bit nonexistant
Pay to achive what YOU consider important? Yes, deffinitly
But not ‘Pay to Win WoW’

WoW has always been P2W! In the past , ppl bought accounts with fully geared toons for real cash. Now is the same with the tokens. The only difference is that Activision gets all the money and not some random guy who sells accs.

It is the definition that first came out when it all started becoming more prevalent … back around the early 2010’s.

But you are, technically, correct yes… the best form of correct.

What belongs under the aforementioned definition which is set in stone, is a matter of opinion.

Since the definition is as simple as: “Being able to buy advantages for real money”

Then buying boosts with gold which can be purchased with real money, is in a sense buying an advantage for real money… if you hold that opinion.

It is not really my opinion though. I am limiting it to being able to buy gear which can indeed give you a competitive edge, for gold which can be purchased with real money, mostly tied to PvP too.

Buying boosts to me is like… buying extra small advantage packages in a single player game.

100% agree,i dont know why people look at it when someone claims it is from a bad point of view or as the kids say “get triggered”

The definition of ‘win’ isn’t some kind of absolute “endpoint”.

Would you be more comfortable with the term “pay to gain momentary winning advantage” then?

To win WoW means you are becoming owner of game.

Nobody forces professional athletes to compete also,its their desire and choice.

I don’t really understand why some get upset because others buy a boost. That doesn’t make me want to spend money on a boost. Nor does it affect me that they had the money to spend on getting boosted.

Admit it people. You can buy tokens convert into gold and then buy mythic raid, m+, arena, RBGs, level boosts.
Either you get the boost in your item from other players or directly from blizzard (those that played other game know this bad word “Shop”) does not change the fact that for a certain amount of money you can buy much better gear than the others.

Yes that’s right. You might succeed in little battles time to time - but just like desk top D&D the scenario’s are never ending. Well…for now at least.

1 Like