Honest debate on LFD

Whilst being annoyed at first with the announcement that LFD will not be in game I cooled off after that and now I’m trying to understand with an open mind the other side’s perspective

Here’s my take on things:

• The argument that is it becomes a lobby game is stupid because you’re already standing in one spot spamming a chat or /w people waiting to respond looking for a group
    If anything you’re better off doing dailies or farming if you’re a dps than doing nothing else and just looking at said chat

-Dungeon Teleportation: Are we really that delusional that we think that two people flying to a stone and summoning the rest is that much different than just teleporting to the dungeon? For the life of me I don’t understand why people make such a fuss about this. Num locking a direction , saying OMW to stone or 123 isn’t “immersive gameplay”.
If anything it opens up more dungeons for the lower levels. Starting mid BC , leveling multiple alliance chars around the lvl 20 mark I have seen 0 groups for WC of SFK for example and I’m sure hordies aren’t spamming DM either.

-LFD kills this cancerous “reserve item” meta and the soon to be as bad “link achiev for invite” and let us not forget the godfather of awful Gearscore

-people overplay it’s importance: This is a tool extremely helpful for casual players. After phase one gear from HC’s becomes obsolete and two types of badges mean people farming Ulduar and onwards won’t touch it for more than the daily. Casuals and alts on the other hand would thrive on LFD since its a good way to catch up and a terrific way to level up. IT DOES NOT AFFECT ENDGAME AS MUCH AS PEOPLE THINK IT DOES.

• the argument that you have no control on who you invite: that silly as well since most of the time you invite the first person who says INV and you find out whether he’s good or bad. LFD could also be realm only and that would solve the no repercussions. Kinda against it because dead realms need LFD the most and I’m pretty sure everybody is blowing the so called social aspect out of proportion whilst not being able to name 10 players that they’ve played with outside their guild.

-Someone leaves your hc dungeon? Good luck finding a player willing to help you finish your normal Halls of Lightning with two bosses left. Oh what’s that? A new player just popped in in a couple of mins? Isn’t that great.

-The only legit counter argument to lfd is people dying and not knowing where the dungeon portal is to run back. That’s it.

-EVERY player cheering that LFG isn’t in game on the premise it preserves the game’s integrity whilst paying a sub for a game that has a lvl 70 PAID BOOST is a hypocrite.

So please, someone, make me understand where I’m wrong and how LFD not being is game is the right move . No trolling, I seriously want counter points , change my mind.

24 Likes

I honestly don’t mind not having the dungeon teleportation, my main gripe is that people should stop pushing for the absence of a system in favor of an arbitrary, tedious and inefficient alternative. The current tool in TBCC is absolutely atrocious and barely anyone uses it for that reason, it’s less efficient than spamming LFG chat which in itself is inefficient. I cannot imagine that anyone is happy with having to spend 30-45 minutes to get a group together.

I’m willing to forego things like the automatic teleportation in all honestly, as long as we get the QoL change that we can get into groups without having to spam a chat or check an add-on in the hopes that we reply to someone before the group fills out. If the situation in TBCC is any indication 1,5 months into the expansion most people will be raidlogging and there will a big lack of tanks and healers, and those playing will use the opportunity to sell their services at a premium.

4 Likes

I agree with what you said and am willing to the same compromise IF it would apply only to Wrath normal and heroic dungeons. I feel like BC dungeons and Classic ones are done a milion times over by now and could use the TP to the dungeon.

3 Likes

I see no reason why they wouldn’t incorporate RDF (with the teleport) for at least the trivial content such as Vanilla and Burning Crusade, finding a group to do a dungeon is virtually impossible and using Blizzard their own LFD tool only shows people boosting for gold.

Meanwhile the lead Dev is playing season of mastery and wants to port things they changed over from there to Wrath Classic, only cements the feeling for me that they are out of touch with people that want Wrath.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I think Blizzard wants to remove LFD mainly because of feedback from hardcore streamers who are very biased because they can get easy groups any day/time of the week. I can’t see any other reason why they would do this since any poll that I’ve seen says at least 70% of people are in favor of LFD for Wrath classic.

8 Likes

The main reason for not having LFD is the dev team not playing tbc, making them completely oblivious to how 5 man content in tbc works. They also fundamentally misunderstand what 5 man content in wotlk even does.

The game would not become a lobby game, because there is more than just 5 man content. If they shard, you can even farm herbs in northrend, but I don’t think that will happen.

The dungeon teleport isn’t just better than the tedious alternative of flying there with autofly. The teleport is integral to making dungeons spammable, which is actually fun (at least to me). I play a tank and spam 5 man heroics because I actually like doing it. Without the teleport, that doesn’t work, because there is an artifical break of 15-20 minutes every time, so I can only do half as many dungeons as with the teleport. Not having the teleport is just blizzard shoving something into the game that gets in between me and the content I want to play.

I don’t think anyone will ever ask you for an achievement to join a 5 man heroic dungeon. That would be peak classic andy behavior, but I seriously doubt it.

5 man dungeons are also important to get heirlooms, and from T9 on to get epic gems. There will literally always be a reason to play 5 man, and there will always be a reason to SPAM 5 man.

I completely agree that nobody in tbc has any control over who gets into your group. You ALWAYS invite the first tank that wants to join, and for dps you might only not invite someone if you want a specific item that that other player might also need.

Realm only would be horrible. I play on a lowpop realm (about 2k characters on my faction), and 5 man content is unplayable. Unless you guilt trip a tank in your guild into tanking for you, which is incredibly toxic behavior. No wonder tanks raidlog, when they are pressured into doing things they don’t want every time they log on.

The only social interaction you are missing out on with the LDF tool is that you whisper your spec and accept the invite. I genuinely do not understand why people think that missing out on that is the downfall of WoW. I think people hate on LFD because it’s an easy scapegoat, to be honest.

The run to the dungeon i usually very simple, and at least someone in your group will probably know. It would be kind of funny to have a group disband because nobody can find the entrance, though. I wouldn’t even be mad.

The people cheering the LFD removal are also the same people who play a game where boosting has replaced leveling, and where the entire economy is based on buying gold from a russian and using it to buy consumables (giving the gold back to the russian right away), and buying gear from it. Useful LFD experience rewards and the teleport to the dungeon would make legit lowlevel dungeons an actual alternative to buying a boost.
Besides, the people cheering on the LFD removal are usually the ones who just make up insane claims that they can’t substantiate. They also sound like they never actually used the LFD tool.

Yo yeah, you don’t understand why removing LFD is the right move because it isn’t the right move. It’s a really bad move, and the people calling the shots for classic should go play on a private server for like two months so they can figure out how the game actually works.

5 Likes

Also, neutered versions as a compromise won’t work. Replacing a functioning system with a trash system because someone wanted to go for some in between solution to appease as many people as possible would just leave us with said trash system.

Blizzard is currently arguing in favor of an in between trash system.

3 Likes

Can we please get somebody in here that doesn’t agree with us , with some solid points?

I’ve been called part of a loud minority for advocating for LFD, please , members of the majority , enlighten us

I haven’t played WoW in years, I just created a char a couple of months ago and it is SO hard to find a group for dungeons.
And very, very annoying: hurting my eyes in a chat room waiting to find a group instead of doing stuff in the game is not my idea of fun

And the argument is: it takes out the social aspect…are you kidding me? is whispering “inv me, DPS” considered socializing?! And sorry, I am 40 and new player, I do not have any friends in game and the only direction for me is to quit it without LFD

1 Like

imagine this situation:

come back from work, let’s get a beer and play a little wow and then stand around for 30+ minutes in chat room looking for a group…ALT+F4

3 Likes

Even this isn’t a legit argument. If the classic Andys actually do crave social interaction from dungeons, being the hero and explaining how to get in is a really good way to force some communication…

If they want to group with their friends and not use LFG they can still do it too. Just feels so elitist and casual unfriendly to not have it in at this point.

1 Like

people dying in a dungeon and not finding the entrance applies to those who got a summon too and those players tend to be the ones getting ported in the first place. anyone against lfd because of this reason (not finding entrances) would be against wl summons and summonig stones. since i havent seen many (if any) players asking for the removal of summoning stones and wl summons, the anti rdf argument of people not knowing the way has no credibility.

1 Like

At least the summoning stones are outside many dongeons. I never experienced this using the summoning stones, only with LFD - I might have been victim of RNG :wink:
And it happened many times - running in and out of the dungeons in Auchindoun is classic for me.
And again I know anecdotic proff only. I did not think of making screenies of every time it happened :wink:

1 Like

What I dislike is not the LFD per se, but the consequences it had on the expansion that started with 3.2.

The reason is that all the previnous WotLK raid content became obsolete with ICC being the only relevant raid, that’s because HC dungeon gave triumph emblem and people where full geared with 232 gear ready to enter ICC10 man.

The main reason I like classic is that instead of having raids with multiple difficulties you keep doing all the raids even for a small gain (like the extra badges from Grull/Mag).

I would welcome LFD if it is brought with this hypothetical changes.

Only 2 tiles on badges ( 1 from HC and 1 from raids)

Less items you can buy with the HC badges as the expansion progress (if you want to buy tier pieces you need the raid ones not the HC ones).

The main reason I enjoy classic is that I play the expansion and not the patch unlike retail that is now completely seasonal.

I’m happy for rdf to not give as many badges / gear.

I just want to be able to play dungeons easily without all the elitist nonsense.

…I also want to be able to level a paladin as prot/ret and tank /spam the new dungeon I unlocked.

Feels really good to hit level 21 and queue for sfk until you get your new blue… then go back to questing.

Frankly the solution to this would require no ilvl increases between tiers and introduce an approach of vertical progression.

Such solution is unfortunately too radical for WoW.

Dont act surprised. Anti-LFD arguments are that weak and fizzle out easily. Ion stubbornness and opportunistic orbiters is the only reason this is an issue.

And that is because the only solid argument against having LFD from launch is #NoChanges. And if you say this #N word in the forums you’re called names from here to Twisting Nether :wink:
I do so anyway. LFD - I don’t really care about it, but it was in Wrath, it should be in Wrath Classic, but NOT at launch.

Or a slower one like between naxx and ulduar

“They don’t share my opinions so their arguments are weak”

With crossrealm LFD, if i have fun with someone during a dungeons. This fun/social won’t last after the dungeons because we won’t be able to play together anymore.

It’s a reason why a lot of players aren’t even trying to socialize anymore.

1 Like