I transferred to a so called dead server - and I am reborn :)

I think I did, and it looks like I actually did :slight_smile:

About two days ago I hit level51. It was a miracle I was able to level via two dungeons and several dungeon quests. But my questing experience was miserable. There are numerous quests in Blasted Lands, Un’Goro, Tanaris, Felwood, Western Plaguelands that stayed in my questlog for days, without being able to complete it.

And so I decided to give it a try again yesterday. Went to Felwood in order to kill 12 wolves and 12 bears. Simple enough task, so I can deplete my rested experience. Found a rather desolate place, and started doing my quest.

2 minutes later, a level 60 came. Ganked me. OK, perhaps it was an isolated case. 5 minutes run from graveyard, 5 minutes wasted time.
Then I ressed, and another came. Ganked. 5 minutes run. Ganked again - this time by a group of 3 level 60s. Then I persisted. When I got ganked about 10 times, after two hours of playing and just 9 wolves and 10 bears killed, I made my decision - I have to abandon Zandalari Tribe at all cost.

But transferring to another server is a difficult decision. I sat down and thought deeply. What have I achieved since the server launched? I have made a guild, yes… But it was a rough experience. I’ve got close with only two people, even thought I’m very talky. As for the rest… well… they either don’t talk, or just come there and then leave…

Then I thought about my overall experience. The crowds. The ganks. The inability to level. I remembered that I had some good time in Hillsbrad. Every time I went there, there was a PVP group which invited me, yes. And when I joined these groups, my PVP Honor started to grow exponentially…

Just like it’s on retail’s Southshore vs Tarren Mill PVP Brawl. The same.
And then it hit me. I wasn’t playing Classic.
I was playing retail in Classic’s shoes.

Then I made the analogy. I am living in a big city IRL, and it’s starting to get on my nerves. The traffic jam, overpopulation, the dirty air… Why I am here? For the job, of course, but I long to live in a quiet village.

I needed the same in Classic. I needed to leave the big city and join the small village.

Talked on Discord to Dragonfang people and transferred.
And suddenly … I was reborn.

I was told to avoid this server like hell, because it’s dead. What I found there wasn’t a dead server, though. It was more like a small private server. It’s not that I have a huge experience with private servers, as I prefer to support the game I love monetarily, but anyway… this is what it looked like to me.

Orgrimmar wasn’t overcrowded. There were people here and there - not that many, but … there were. They were talking and playing. The zones were calm. I went to Feralas to do several quests. Occasionally, several Alliance players passed by me. They didn’t attack - just like me, they were focused on questing. At long last my quest log started to get empty, I did some quests that were long overdue. I even completed a difficult quest in Western Plaguelands, IN A PARTY!!! I found a person who did the same thing like me. And he helped me, and I helped him.

World PVP? It happens. Tarren Mill vs Southshore exists, but as an event. Then I noticed on Discord that people are actually playing … HIDE AND SEEK!!! Such thing would never happen on an overcrowded server…

Yes, perhaps I will have problems when I hit level 60, I won’t be able to find parties for big raids, but I don’t intend to do 40-grp raids anyway. Dungeons, yes, Stratholme is a must. Occasional battleground, if they come…

Got into a guild. It is called “You think you do”, and my custom rank is “But you don’t”. What a sheer irony.

I think I do… and it looks like I actually did.

I’m living in the small village in World of Warcraft. And it fits my needs. I don’t know how long the small village will stay the same - Dragonfang is definitely growing, and it’s getting full of refugees coming from other realms. Hopefully, they say that it has no chance to get as big as the mega-servers on day 1 from when the game was released, but as long as it suits my needs as a small community, I am going to stay there.

World PVP works. The game works. PVP servers work. But they work only if they are like a small town, not the big city. That’s it. The game was never supposed to host thousands of people at the same time.

I am glad I found my place. I feel like a farmer who left the capital for good, went to the village, and then found a cozy house and a small yard to work on from now on.

It feels like home.

69 Likes

Hello,

keep your attitude sir. Not just this game, but whole world needs people like you.

But for many its easier to be salty and offended :slight_smile:

Live long and prosper

4 Likes

I have the same experience as you. I was playing in a huge server, and recently moved to Dragonfang. Never been happier since I started playing the game. Found a nice guild and I’m raiding Ony/MC every week, lots of nice people and felt really welcomed.

It’s the exact type of server I was looking for, close and small community, where people help and know each others.

5 Likes

Shut up all of you, Dragonfang is a DEAD server. You will throw away your progress moving there.

On a serious note, gz.

6 Likes

This is the most important thing. The anonymity of the big server is a big turnoff. The fact that people don’t know each others mean they will act rudely regardless of whether there is LFR or not. LFR is just a tool. Random group addons - too. Random groups exist on the big servers even without addons, and they are as toxic as those on retail.

On the smaller servers it’s different. People know each others and there are consequences.

5 Likes

This was such a great read man, I know a lot of people are scared with how Dragonfang is tiny in comparison to the bigger servers but the community cohesion more than makes up for it in my opinion, glad to see that you moved and it was the best decision for you!

2 Likes

I agree 100%. Our whole guild moved to Dragonfang and we were reborn. People could farm herbs and ores, do quests and we still have decent PvP. World bosses are also a possibility now for us. I’m happy with the move.

Hope the server stays balanced as it is right now and yeah…you got that feeling of a private server community. People are very much more engaged in the community of the server.

3 Likes

Good server, shame about the lack of ghost mushrooms.

6 Likes

There aren’t any Ghost Mushrooms on the AH though.

3 Likes

My guild recently relocated from Flamelash to Bloodfang. The improvement is so massive. Finally I can pvp on a 50/50 ratio server, it’s so amazing. I went from raid logging and camping in the capitals to actually exploring with friends again.

Can recommend.

3 Likes

Leave the server everyone. No ghost mushrooms

5 Likes

Glad we transferred to Dramafang, good community, pvp and lots of herbs. Being able to leave my faction capital without severe punishment is also a pleasant experience.

2 Likes

Best decision i ever made a couple months ago to leave Shazzrah. The server has a great community and i feel like i’ve been here since the start.

1 Like

This was actually a good read and even made me consider transferring from Dreadmist which isn’t really that overcrowded.

1 Like

As someone who’s been assisting people in deciding between our server or another with objective insight, and someone who’s been fighting all the idiots who kept yelling “dead”, it makes me happy to read such things. Now go out there and farm ghost mushrooms so others can join as well.

4 Likes

Looks like you’re gonna have to come on over then

Firemaw refugee here, it was getting used to, but i like it, being able to do something instead of being camped at every fp by min/maxer guilds. the smaller community has its charm :slight_smile: dont regret the move.

1 Like

I recently did similar, rerolled as an alliance on judgement and it’s a similar experience, I’m only level 11 ATM but it’s been good so far! I hope it continues to be like this and I’m sure the server will grow in the same way with people transfering over but they won’t reach the population of the full servers!

2 Likes

Wow, after all the tragedy that flooded the forums this was such a soulful read that it almost made me cry lol :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nailed it!