I'm concerned by the amount of High Elves

Alternatively, they could’ve solved this issue years ago by just adding High Elves and Blood Elves in TBC as the opposing factions for Alliance and Horde lol, and we wouldn’t have the issue we have atm (I don’t particularly consider this an issue even really, I think its extremely weird behaviour to hyperfocus on other people’s race they enjoy rping but its w/e)

12 Likes

Shaming people for a race that they choose to play is bad, but there’s nothing wrong with talking about how one of the most populous roleplaying communities on the server no longer exists, and how the current popularity of high elves may be connected to that.

7 Likes

And the answer stays the same, because people like RPing them and feel drawn to them in the same way as you are drawn to the Darkfallen and I am to the Night Elves.

It doesn’t have to be anything more or there doesn’t need to be any deeper meaning…

2 Likes

This is only your fantasy. And not the universal truth. You are biased towards high elves and against the undead, that’s all. The Forsaken include many undead subraces from various ghouls, banshees and ghosts to a Dota Pudge. Just like there are other friendly non-Forsaken undead in the world. But you refuse to accept this, that’s why you’re so angry when you see me and my love for the undead

I’m gonna come out and say that I like the Void Elves. I think their inclusion was fine and their themes are interesting. They need a lot more attention than what they’ve got, but their existence doesn’t need to be a scapegoat for the others’ problems!

6 Likes

My undefined relative in deity, I used to main a San’layn.

I’m “angry” at you because you’re thick.

3 Likes

I’ve seen multiple reasons that could explain this. For one, Alliance is much larger. If you just want to do some casual RP, you’ll find way more opportunities in SW than anywhere else.

Secondly, many blood elf players weren’t really Horde players and many of people RPing other Horde races felt the same about blood elves. This lead to belves and rest of the Horde being quite separate in RP, so when high elves were made available, there wasn’t as much holding people back as with other races.

And some were simply playing blood elves only because high elves were unavailable.

1 Like

It really is such a huge injustice that their lore is as deep as a puddle. The potential is there and just giving them some more void-y customisations and their own architecture would’ve been a great first step.

6 Likes

I think this is a very core point to the appeal of high elves. They’re the closest thing WoW has to the classic fantasy elf – blood elves are close too, but with extra steps and grit. The high elf lodges and so on are so quintessential elf fantasy so there’s a very definitive appeal.

12 Likes

It’s sad that some people think that Blood elves don’t belong in the Horde and such. I guess this is the answer. These people don’t care about the race’s traits, history or vibe. They just see a pretty thin elf and go “oh they’re so cute! not like the ugly orcs or trolls or other hordies”. For such people the Alliance would be a better fit because it’s just as cute and bubbly and holy and i can go on but you got the point

It’s only when you stop treating belves or the vulpera as pretty harmless cuties you’ll see more and be more accurate in your perception of the factions and what they stand for

Its funny, because I feel the same goes for Night Elves and the Alliance.

You have Night Elf fans and Alliance fans, but they are not the same. For example, I feel no connection to the Alliance at all, but I play in the Alliance because Night Elves are chugged into their faction

5 Likes

Precisely this, really. The majority population of Earth finds Elves appealing in the Asur/Tolkien Elf way and it shouldn’t really surprise people overall that people seek that out when trying to roleplay a fantasy Elf. I think it’s odd and this forum thread is, very obviously, targeted to try and create an issue over a problem that doesn’t actually exist. Horde and Alliance RP populations have been decimated by the combination of BfA and Shadowlands, I don’t think its a secret Illuminati high elf psyop by the WoW High Elf rpers to destroy the Horde and WoW RP.

11 Likes

There’s also the whole thing of being allied to humans and dwarves. Blood elves these days are pretty much high elves anyway, but as a blood elf you’re going to stand alongside undead, orcs, trolls and goblins, which just isn’t something that classic fantasy elf fans enjoy.

Also, in general classic fantasy elf story is about getting weaker. Meanwhile, blood elves have only grown in power since TBC. Back in the Lor’themar short story, they couldn’t afford not obeying Sylvanas, otherwise Scourge would overwhelm them in Ghostlands. In Shadowlands, they solo San’layn Scourge army and now have close alliance with huge city of other elves.

2 Likes

Wait… it’s not?

I’ll destroy the documents. Ahem.

8 Likes

Silvermoon was on death’s door and an utter ghost town for a long time before high elf customisation happened; the blood elf community dwindled long before this and - i’d argue - it started to get noticable in WoD.

10 Likes

Though yeah, decline was noticeable way before the customisation was introduced. And all the hype-sayers were going on that “Dragonflight will save blood elf RP”, but in reality it is more dead than in Shadowlands, which is truly an achievement on its own.

2 Likes

delaying their new character models to 6.1 (Remember that???) really did a number on them

1 Like

WoD was diabolical for retention, it’s when Blizzard completely stopped showing subscription numbers too iirc. It was either then or v. Late Cataclysm.

Another gunshot was the sexism and harassment drama at Blizzard, that drove a fair few people away to private servers.

2 Likes

I think ultimately it is just far more fair to say that every race-community and both factions in this game took substantial hits in WoD, BfA and then Slands; even Legion to some extent killed the game for some people. RP as a hobby is suffering right now on this game really, you can see it in how much less active the forums, Argent Archives and how city-bound roleplay now is outside of very sparse campaigns.

4 Likes

Depends on what perspective you’re looking in from. I think it’s a massive problem.

Void elves have been done dirty

1 Like