I'm concerned by the amount of High Elves

I find it funny how some of us, OOCly see green, and think “thats Fel magic”. And so the same logic must apply ingame aswell(it doesn’t)

I kinda respect the fact that the OP posted this spicy topic, attracted most forum regulars into debating amongst themselves, and just dipped out without another response.

18 Likes

It was just an excuse to bash something they don’t like.

1 Like

It´s pretty much a remnant of old lore where Fel was simply a darker, corrupted version of Arcane rather than opposite cosmic force. With that in mind, ordinary blood elves not realizing that they got some wonky Arcane in those crystals isn´t that big of a stretch.

6 Likes

True. I want to hear OP’s response after all the replies answering their question from both sides of the argument.

What do they think now?

OP is a fed

9 Likes

A what? What is that?

Federal agent.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I never cared much for the Horde or the Alliance and my enthusiasm for the setting always came from specific playable races. Primarily blood elves due to their pragmatic and defiant nature as well as the likes of the draenei and night elves.

It’s been a real shame to come back to the game periodically and see the dwindling number of blood elves. It was years ago, though I remember how Silvermoon was so very vibrant and bursting with activity as well as the surrounding areas. I don’t doubt that there’s still people who breathe some life into the place but compared to how much easier it is to simply stumble across roleplay over on the Alliance side of the fence I’m not surprised that so many people have chosen to jump ship.

It doesn’t help that the void elves are essentially what a lot of people who found themselves drawn to blood elves desired. Depending on one’s perspective, the use of the void is either incredibly reckless or a cautious exploration of a valuable and necessary tool required to ensure that a dire threat can be countered in the future.

As for high elves, I’m not surprised to see the number of people roleplaying them shoot up with the arrival of void elves. They’ve always been a large part of the Alliance and arguably should have just been added to the game outright.

I have a void elf and a high elf myself, both of which I have managed to find roleplay on much more readily than whenever I dust off my blood elves - and trying to roleplay my blood elves is in itself a difficult feat. The destruction of Teldrassil was not exactly viewed favourably by my characters.

1 Like

he said the thing!

12 Likes

I am, unfortunately, not allowed to kill imprison Sunreavers as a Blood Elf. Well, not legally at least.

“Rule of Cool” arguably proposes that no matter the numerical facts of a given population, they must appear in force the moment the story demands it. Void Elves, a supposedly small group, show up in the dozens during BfA. You can either roll with the lore and suspend your disbelief, or accept that Blizzard’s consistency begins and ends with their knack for being inconsistent.

Now, pretty much every playable race has a “we were decimated and scattered” chapter in their past. Some more than others, but there are curiously few who are entirely absent that particular trope.

Blood/High Elves are sort of interesting however, because while the writers generally keep the actual data vague and obscure, the losses incurred in Quel’Thalas have been pretty consistently referenced over the years.

Arthas and his Scourge killed around 90 % of the population, and from those remaining ten, another ten struck out as High Elven exiles. So that’s around 1 % of the original Thalassian population, the rest are either Blood Elves or dead. We don’t have any estimate on Void Elves; the original reveal painted them as a “crack team” of Void nerds, but since then they’ve shown up in greater force by far. The “do Void Elves turn other elves?” discussion is an interesting one, but I digress before I go that far off a tangent.

All of this to say, that while High Elves all but certainly have enough unrelated individuals to keep a sustainable population going, they really aren’t doing too hot numerically. I would consider them prime candidates for an endangered species list if they were animals, in large part because of how drastically they’ve been reduced in number in just a few years.

Oh they will probably bounce back, I don’t expect the writers to take the High Elves behind the shed and pull a Med’an on them. A large part of what does set them apart from being lankier humans with freaky eyebrows however, is their harrowing past, their burdened present, and the uncertain future ahead of them.

Now, wicked tongues will say that I am entirely too late in this thread to justify a wall of text, but I invoke the Gandalf defense.

2 Likes

After a certain point most of the conflicts between the various elven races simply ceased to make much sense. It was very jarring to see the night elves decline the aid of the nightborne but reluctantly accept the aid of the void elves…

A lot of aspects of the faction war have felt very forced and contrived for years, though - which is largely why I’m hoping to see more flexibility as to who can play what and where.

As for the headache of racial populations, if the writers ever lean more heavily into high elf fan-service then for all we know the game could suddenly reveal that there’s been a secret group of high elves living in seclusion. Stranger things have been written than that.

5 Likes

Highvale elves, they abandoned the Arcane, they have their own town (village?), but ingame its just a single hunter lodge, they maintain their own roost of dragonhawks (the only one outside of Silvermoon too iirc!). And best part, they are mostly out of faction conflicts except local ones, such as against the trolls and Forsaken in the Hinterlands.

1 Like

I mean… there’s not much to say. I knew the High Elf community was extremely toxic and that this thread would be blown out of proportion, which was a mistake on my part by posting in the first place.

The thread is a question. It’s asking why not just play a Blood Elf when it seems more convenient for Thalassian RP, and of course, the Helf community took this as an insult or gaslighting.

My response? I’m glad at least some people were civil and I understand both sides from the points that were made. Players not representing an entire population, etc.

1 Like

I have a hunch that there’s probably a decent amount of people lurking in the shadows just waiting to leap at the opportunity to get involved with a fresh attempt at getting a blood elf focused guild up and running.

The best way to achieve what you want to see is to seize the opportunity with your own two hands. That’s what worked for me back in the days of The Sunwarders and The Sanguine Eye.

2 Likes

Silence, Fed

3 Likes

“U disagree with me, so u r toxic”

Whew

7 Likes

To be fair we can’t use this as an excuse in all honesty. It just sounds like laziness if anything.

Why is there no RP in Silvermoon or Horde Hubs? It’s because people aren’t Rp’ing there. So you not RP’ing there is contributing to that detriment. You know?

Also I can confirm the Sunspear are active and RP’ing in Silvermoon as you probably know as well so there is people Rp’ing there just not in the quantity that we prefer.

I can agree with this statement though.

Most people just want to RP High Elves rather than Blood Elves and as much as a shame that can be for the Horde community, it is personal style and preference. (And blizz for bringing them to Alliance the bigger popular faction for RP because of how easily-accessible it can be.)

Dread hits it on the head although eye colour is different. acshually :nerd_face: :point_up:

For OP it’s just honestly people prefer to play a different faction / setting rather than strictly Horde (or Alliance).

Alliance is more populated and more opportunity to find a group of people you want to play with. Just stand around in Stormwind you’ll have multiple attempts of recruitment per every 3-4 hours.

Though personally I think Alliance is way more secluded for types of RP. This is of personal experience of trying to interact on multiple different alliance characters, having played Alliance been there for some time in earlier years and had playabout characters in recent years.

A good ol’ fashion arguement I will give out is that Alliance has more population but it’s really not different from Horde. One tour around Stormwind you will see most people are AFK waiting to be approached or waiting for other opportunities if they’re not already conversing with their chosen person of interaction. You won’t find many open dialogue here or there.

Alliance offers more variety however with guilds, zones of RP;

• Everyone dogs on Duskwood but it is honestly one of the most open communities I have ever seen they genuinely don’t care who or what you are they will interact with you in some form or another.

• Redridge Mountains (Not as active nowadays but you can still find a few groups around outside of the seasonal Redridge Games)

• Westfall.

It also has RP in multiple cities something the Horde struggles with more than ever nowadays;

• Stormwind
  • Ironforge

So just from them points alone you can see why people would prefer to play the High Elf to Blood Elf. It’s more RP-friendly.