[ Important? ] Building a better AD

Very good idea IMO - if the argument for RP realms getting the short end of the stick being the small population / the larger need of customer support, clustering that population into one server is a very good compromise

Here’s the thread about it if anyone’s interested

8 Likes

The future is bright, especially for RP communities outside of the major hubs!

I’d like to invite everyone to a Khaz Modan tavern night on the 11th, 8 PM RT! (in Kharanos).

6 Likes

I’ve been wondering - when I started playing on AD (around 200 years ago) there was an RP policy page that you could visit that had all sorts of rules like no OOCing in spatial channels and so on

Now you can’t access that page and it seems the only rule that’s listed is the RP name policy

So is that stuff no longer in effect? Why? If not, why is the page gone / can it be brought back?

It’s kind of crazy to think that on an RP realm the only rule may well be “have a name that doesn’t have poggers in it”

Would appreciate some clarification from the blue posters if they know or otherwise basically anyone who can answer this one

I feel like that if this policy is discontinued, bringing it back would be a very good step in the right direction. People on RP servers want to see RP rather than just slightly nicer names

26 Likes

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Roleplaying_policy

Role Play-Specific Verbal/Physical Harassment

This category includes:

• Players that specifically target Role Players for verbal/physical abuse (not limited to offensive language)

If a player is found to be targeting Role Players with the specific intent to harass, he/she may:

• Be temporarily suspended from the game

Out of Character (OOC) Discussion and Use of General Chat

Detailed below is the language policy enforced on the Role Play realms. Use of the /ignore command is also highly encouraged.

• The General Chat Channel should only be used for finding Story Lines (SLs), finding Party Groups and various other discussions pertaining to Base Story Line (BSL), game-related topics, and continuity
  • The General Chat Channel should NOT be used for any “Off-topic,” Non-Story Line or non game-related discussion
  • Absolutely no out of character (OOC) or Non-Fantasy related dialogue should take place in the /Say, /Yell, or Party Chat Channels
  • Guild Chat will not be policed for any fantasy related violations
  • All normal harassment rules still apply

Examples of appropriate conversation in the General Chat Channel:

• “Would anyone like to join a Rogue Specific SL?”
  • “What happened to the Well of Eternity?”

Examples of inappropriate conversation in the General Chat Channel:

• “Did you see that new movie?”
  • “My sister just bought a new car.”

If a player is found violating any of these rules, he/she may:

• Be given a warning
  • Be temporary suspended from the game

Non-Medieval/Fantasy Character Names

This category includes:

• Any Non-Medieval or Non-Fantasy names (i.e. Microwave, Nuclearotron, Softwareman)
  • All normal naming rules and the specific Roleplay naming rules.

If a player is found to have such a name, he/she may:

• Be assigned a randomly generated temporary name, to be changed via email
  • Be given the appropriate additional penalty if the name violates standard naming rules

Important

• This policy is in addition to the policies currently being enforced on all realms.
  • Repeatedly violating any area of the Role Play realm policy, as well as any area of the Terms of Use, will often result in temporary suspension from the game. The same sanction could apply for extreme cases.

In playing this game, you will encounter thousands of other players who share different experiences and come from vastly different character backgrounds than your own. Remember to be respectful of those around you. Help us to make this the most immersive Role Play Community in the history of the MMORPG!

For context.

I think some of them are a little bit archaic, such as General Chat channel not being used for OOC, whilst in reality it’s perfect for that.

But /say, /yell, /e should absolutely be used for IC conversations only.

27 Likes

Bring it back, bros

It’s time

20 Likes

Not using party for OOC chatter is also a little far-fetched, I think, but there’s a lot of promise in a ruleset like this for making reports against griefers more actionable.

6 Likes

Was this once the moderation blizzard did? I am ashamed that I never looked it up.

yeah it would be cool to have blizzard outline atleast some basic dos and donts regarding rp, and honestly the way things seem to be going since big pez made this forum post i wouldnt be surprised if that happens

8 Likes

Would a Twitter ground swell on this work?

1 Like

Spatial channels should be 100% IC at all times. General, Trade and LocalDefense alas, people need to be able to talk about stuff too.

I think the old RP realm policies are a bit outdated, but are a very big leap in the right direction. It would be nice if Blizzard considered looking back at these rules and implement them with some slight alterations to the non-spatial channel rulings

13 Likes

Yeah, on my old server there briefly was a guild called “Lasor attack pewpew”.

The GMs changed it to “Sword attack klangklang”. And that is what the guild was named from there on.

I kid u not

2 Likes

Bring back the rules!
Do not be fools!
Blizzard must enforce,
Fix it at the source!

16 Likes

I think this is a pretty good idea - Twitter is like the most effective Blizzard feedback tool

I’ve tweeted something out (@rotgarde if you wanna peep it)

13 Likes

And tweeted I have:

https://twitter.com/BigNiceDK/status/1282335954032877573
https://twitter.com/BigNiceDK/status/1282337022590562306

9 Likes

https://twitter.com/medurb1/status/1282338774886821888
Me hope dis help!

8 Likes

As embarrassing as Goldshire and explicit profiles are, I’d much rather they were loud and visible than cleverly hidden within a system that makes them hard to avoid. The more gated you make something, the more barriers you put up, the more they’ll be within our own communities. Hiding. Scouting. You’ll be roleplaying with them. :slight_smile:

I think they should be banned from the World of Warcraft instead

15 Likes

I think a lot of it is perceived acceptance. If Goldshire with its explicit profiles is allowed to remain, it can be easily viewed by someone as an acceptable action. You’ll see mimicry with the explicit descriptions of orbs, but also links to certain nsfw websites. Whereas, if Goldshire mob was actively getting nuked with appropriate bans, I believe we would also see a lot of people shift their thinking.

Similar to how in 2014 most guilds would have “Do your ERP in private” in their guild rules, these days a specific “No ERP” rule is a lot more common.

Granted there’s still outliers, but that’s why we want a better Argent Dawn, right?

14 Likes

Stop encouraging inadvertent tolerance for bad acts.

4 Likes

Or Blizzard could stop beating around the bush and ban them. We don’t have to accept something bad.

The time to act is always now.

3 Likes