Introducing the World of Warcraft Community Council

Lol even in surveys they take a sample of people .even if they hire a million people they can’t process feedback of all community .
That is why they will take people in council for one year term .so it will probably be new faces in the council on rotational basis

I suppose one could say anyone that actually has game standards it would be indefensible, but to those that just buy and preorder no matter how many ‘bad things’ are in the game and talk all kinds about how everything is so wonderful that even increased maintenance downtimes(The longest out of any online company for a game I have played) it might be ‘defensible’.

Are the EU classic servers down atm ?

No, because that would be judgmental towards those who think differently.
They have game standards too, they just happen to not align with yours. Doesn’t mean they have none.

I mean; look at it this way; you’re condemning Blizzard for getting the needed downtime wrong. What if they had been faster than what they had predicted (something that also regularly happens)? You’d probably be alright with that? Even though the same thing would be happening; their estimation was wrong.

No, just NA. Extended twice so far from what I have read. My friend says it might be up around 3 PM their time, even though there’s no patch for it. Retail is expected up at 5 PM their time(full 8 hr maint windows) because of course that has a decent sized patch update.

Feels like the NA gets to beta test for even maintenance.

i can see why they are annoyed there is no need to affect classic if just restarts unless it has something to do with the new mode coming soon ?

1 Like

No since that’d be in their window of estimation wouldn’t it? Not 4+ hours outside of their expected window? It’s like saying I guess I should be upset that the Delivery person/Internet person arrived in their window instead of telling me (after the window has already passed) That they’re running late and will be there up to 2 hours later… Then doing it again after that window is up.

It also seems like you missed a lot of the previous posts about all the other positions jobs are not being done correctly in.

Seems off because the new mode is a bit later? 16th/17th or something and it also doesn’t relate to TBC either.

1 Like

I knew soon but i havent kept up to date but it would be nice to know why servers that are not retail are being kept offline.

1 Like

Well they usually don’t say it like that. They usually say the downtime will be from X to Y.

I did. I have not read the entire thread.

Yes, that’s one of my complaints. They never talk about any of the issues they’re having and why, there’s basically just been a zero-sum game of communication and now it seems like they’re trying to push off a lot of what used to be CM duties now onto more players for free.

I get how that can be frustrating to some. But on the other hand; it takes away a bit of the magic, so to speak, if we’re informed about every little thing.

‘the on site engineers ran into some hardware problems which added to the downtime. Now they ran so late it will be even longer because those people have a right to go to lunch. They will continue the work after that. Etc.’ We don’t really need to know all that stuff. These things are not magically done; real people perform these maintenances and sometimes stuff happens.

And a live environment is always going to be different than a much more contained PTR environment.

1 Like

I think we should, especially for game servers that are not even seeing an update. It also helps put accountability on the correct area. If a said group of techs for server maintenance continually are running into issues that they can’t solve in a timely manner I would definitely be looking at that particular team wondering why compared to all the teams are various companies that they’re struggling.

Also, staggered breaks/lunches are far more ideal for something like this though honestly with more of a desk-job where you can freely eat as you like it’s a lot easier to pull off.

I’m both questioning why they always run into issues(at least the NA team it seems like more than EU server team) so frequently while having such long downtime for maintenance and patches compared to many other online RPGs out there.

1 Like

I don’t think the initiative is anything like the CM duties though.

A Community Manager is a Blizzard Entertainment employee that monitors the World of Warcraft forums, acting as a liaison between the players and the developers, along with other community-related responsibilities.

The Community Council would be a role for people to put forward ideas/initiatives etc, the people who will be eventually selected will have no direct impact on posters or monitoring of posts. The closest I would say would be the liaison for the specific areas they are representing.

1. you don’t know that.
  2. software is being run on these servers for the first time. It’s never going to be completely the same as the PTR experience.

Sure. Maybe they were. Maybe some guy spilled his milk onto a server rack.

As for the first question; any ‘weird behaviour’ in the live environment will have been caught and fixed by the NA team, so the EU team already either a) has the improved code/hardware or b) has a way to quickly fix the issue because they know what to expect.

The second I can’t answer, but are you sure they’re so much longer?
Do you have numbers to back up the claim? I don’t currently play many online games besides WoW (a spot of SWTOR every now and then), so I can’t prove or disprove your claim. I’m just curious where you got the numbers.

Multiple demographics. All demographics.

We here on the forum, plus the Reddit crowd and the MMOC mob, are rarer than Mythic raiders or Gladiators. We are the chattering classes, the people who enjoy, or at least feel comfortable, yammering on on a forum. Whatever our areas of interest in the game, we are representative of a tiny, tiny sliver of players.

If Blizzard actually wanted to get a representative sample of player viewpoints, they would be putting this on the launcher, at logins, and in emails to people who have unsubbed in the past 6 months.

A self-selected sample is no sample.

4 Likes

I do, there’s no patch. No update pushed for any of the classic servers atm.

Incorrect, as I already stated for Classic there was not a patch. No update.

Well I know things like Runescape their downtime is extremely short, usually 5 minutes for regular and 30 minutes to an hour for patches with them sometimes being extended to 2 hours. Never seen a non-patch maintenance there last long at all.

Guild wars 2 actually has a system where they can push their updates client side so their stuff rarely ever goes down at all.

Elder Scrolls online is usually 3-4 hours for patches with sometimes being less.

1 Like

Unfortunately, The technology they use was made by them and they have a patent on it and nobody else is allowed to use it. Shame to think of a system that makes an mmo work without downtime can’t be used as a company refuses to share it.

1 Like

I agree, but is there nobody on the forums from these demographics? I mean I would love to see theorycrafters, PVP players, Raiders, Open World enthusiasts, Roleplayers etc.

Maybe if advertised on a wider scale? But I am almost certain it will be on Reddit at least by now.

This I would agree with, especially on the launcher for those that don’t visit the forums.

1 Like

Who’s talking about classic? I’m certainly not.

Oh you really can’t compare WoW to ‘that’.
That’s like comparing ‘making fries’ and ‘making a 3 course dinner’ and expecting the 2 things to take the same amount of time.

Guild wars rarely has updates anyway.

Which sounds exactly the same as WoW.

1 Like

My original post was… The whole point of downtime was, lol. I mentioned how it’s weird how Classic has to go down when it doesn’t need a patch and it’s maintenance has been extended twice(from it’s original 2 hours, already an hour longer than their usual estimations)

Average WoW maint for patches is around 8 hours(Before extensions) and they frequently do get extended over in the US at least.

Also:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates Idk they seem to have updates enough.