Ion take my levels!

Pls make it so#lvl60

i still have a suspition that those who say “its just a number” would prefer if wow was lobby based dungeon/raid symulator without any leveling.

becuase they dont give any f…s about leveling they just want endgame without any involvement

I agree.

Some fine tuning here or there but being level 60/70 again would be great. As long as the levelling isn’t significantly reduced in time to max. I’d expect a fair amount as it’s lower levels.

I also think level scaling in all zones would be great, but instead of it scaling to your exact level have some mobs lower, elites higher and so on. That way you still get that sense of ‘power’ progression.

E.g starting zones and the likes could only scale to a max of lets say for arguments sake 20. Where as Northrend etc can scale upto max level so you always have places to level even if you dislike the new zones.

Whilst that may seem weird at first I think it’d be an excellent opportunity for people to complete zones they’ve never experienced, or finish zones they have yet to.

Rep would obviously take a hit but at least the world would feel more alive and you never feel hindered in Leveling progress.

1 Like

Well, i do think it is just a number and i don’t really do dungeons/raids unless i really have to, i am mostly open world adventurer type and leveling alts is one of my main things of fun. But you have to understand that when people say “it’s just the number” they really are just talking about level number, not your power, your journey, your content, your leveling time and so on.

Just to clarify, i don’t support level squish but that is because i think it would definately change more than just the number. Number they can change, with other things they have to have separate talks with us. I am worried that they will sell this as “just number will be different” but on the end we log in and notice they have changed/broke/removed other things too on the same go.

2 Likes

Removing levels is a bandaid, not a proper fix. The problem will return.

I’ve been out of this thread for a while and I can’t possibly reply to all of you, but the basic gist of it is this…

I urge you to read my posts in this other thread -particulary Post #11- which adresses the actual issue and why a level squish won’t do anything.

I doubt new players are looking forward to grinding through 120 levels to play with their friends, therefore I think the level reduction is necessary.
It will however only work if it is supported by a better leveling experience.
The big challenge is to keep players committed to the process.

It would need to be shorter than today and not reliant on Heirlooms or XP boost.
The leveling experience should be a boiled down introduction to the world and the class selected.
It should be a group of key quests and storylines to bring the player from the beginning to the current expansion storyline.

Until Ion says what he means by smooth leveling… we cant give him any real feedback on something we know nothing about until it comes ‘and we hate/love’ it or he says what exactly it is he means, asking us what we would feel about a lvl squish and then not say why and what is stupid

Or you know throw Ion out of the game

1 Like

Despite all of the different opinions I think we all agree on one thing. Levelling needs a rework.

Be that through a squish, which I, and others, think won’t do a thing to change the quality of levelling. And people who complain like:

This is an RPG, lengthy progression has historically always been a part of it. It used to take just as long in the first 6 years of WoW, just there are a lot more numbers now.

THIS is the problem. Nothing happens while you progress, and your progression doesn’t feel like progression, because of previous squishes and linear progression that now gives you now difference in the feeling of power between 30 and 50, or 60 and 80.

While 120 levels are definitely currently too many, with a more engaging levelling process I think it would be okay, people would actually enjoy levelling their alts again.

Or if it be through a rework of levelling content, as Razien discussed:

My personal opinion is that numbers are irrelevant, any changes apart from an overhaul and rework of the system would only be temporary.
Level squish: Keep adding levels and we’ll be here again in a few years time.
Make levelling more engaging again: While this is my preferred option as levelling in and of itself is just zzzzz (even with more ‘frequent’ rewards, it would still be not great)

The best option is to end it at 120, and create a new expansion progression system.
This could be, for example, a prestige rating where you gain an amount per dungeon/raid/area explored/quest completed/reputation status gained in an area, and you have to have a certain prestige before you can start doing later quests, dungeons or raids in the story. Could also work with a new stat that’s on gear in a certain continent that improves your abilities in that continent, which is how you would gain power over previous expansions (i.e. Seafaring for Kul Tiras/Zandalar, Fel Resilience for the Broken Isles)
This is a very rough idea that I developed on the spot, but continuing to level in the way we are, everyone I’ve seen on a thread like this agrees that something needs to change.

yeah class design is so unbelieveably bad its actually insane. i hope they realize this and is undoing the last 2-3 expansions of class changes

7 talents split across 60 levels would make classes feel like 20x better while leveling getting abilities sooner so your not pressing 1 button for 10 levels

It’s not the number off levels that feels as to much/long to me.
If only gaining those levels would feel more progressive and organic.
But the more levels you have, the more you need to spread out that character progression.
or end up with way to many abilities, and that again with so many classes /specs around makes it feel bland and not class specific to me.

Hey i,m a fan off the old game.
Give me loooooong levelling times :smiley:
But it needs to feel organic, give me something to work towards, and feel rewarding.

If reducing the number of levels, but increasing the time spend at those levels helps towards that goal.

Yes pls Ion, take my levels.

At this point unless blizz fully rework old quests dungeons etc give them some changes increasing leveling time and reducing levels will result in the same complaints we have done this content again and again and again we need some variety a living world maybe where differant quests appear i know im asking too much in this cause its not gonna ever happen

leveling in WoW feels like a chore rather than something fun to do. especially the first X levels where X is equal to the previous expansion’s cap. It’s no wonder some people shortcut when they make a new toon on a new server. Start a DK, level him to 70, start a Demon hunter, level it to 120, it is the fastest way. The reason they make it a grind is so lazy rich people buy leveling boosts, it’s a smart business move, at least up until you start losing victims, no I mean customers because they get bored with this crap and quit the game.
So by all means Ion, chop off half my levels, set me back to 60 and we can start over, I would be a fan of that. Obviously they would have to rework where all the classes start at (DK, DH, Allied races) but that’s all good right?
actually they need to rework the whole game, like… Outland/northrend starts at level 20 to 25, MoP level 25 to 30, Draenor at 30 to 40, legion at 40 to 50 and BFA at 50 to 60.

I wonder if in all off this, that shelved idea off pristine servers could be used.
Same worlds, but with some different rules.
When you level, you need to visit trainers for new ability’s.
Those ability’s again, have different ranks.

Loot drops are far less frequent, but there will be best in slots to work towards. ( also during levelling, so no lootbags for sperg running a dungeon)
And the only rng on them, will be a low drop rate.

Make exp gained from, running dungeons over and over and over and over and over again less interesting.
But the the exp gained, from doing quest inside the dungeons stays up high.
And you need to run, around the world gathering those quests.

This will feel way more organic and less bland, inconvenient indeed :slight_smile: but will feel far more rewarding.
Levelling time during old contend, speeded up. But levelling time in the current and last expansion slowed down.
Let people enjoy, that feeling off progression a little longer, then a couple off hours, at the start off an expansion.
Investing helps with, bonding to your charactor/class.
Last one, the world while levelling should be a tad more difficult.
And rares unkillable on your own ( no tag sharing unless your grouped up)
Well unkillable alone, unless your on a class likeBM hunter, and have some real skills.
Imo, this could make levelling way more natural, fun, interesting and rewarding.

Now chop off some that ever growing level number, so the above would be condensed even more.

I know this will never happen, but one can dream right :smiley:

2 Likes

I love this.

I’ve never heard of ‘pristine’ servers, but you’ve just basically fully agreed with me and Razien (see linked post above).

Returning levelling to be more progressive through class trainers and quests (druid forms for example). Give spells ranks, so you can’t empower an ability until you visit a class trainer.
Making loot more scarce so it feels more rewarding when you get it.
Make mobs more challenging so you feel more accomplished for killing them and it isn’t a walkover, including rares needs more than 1 person.
And dungeon quests… I remember Classic Westfall, levelling through the whole zone then finally getting the quest to take out Van Cleef and it was just like, oh crap. I finally have to go kill this guy who’s been causing ALL the problems in this zone that I’ve dealt with so far. Putting quests in dungeons for ease and convenience of xp gain killed that.

Basically, like I said, levelling needs to be reworked. Many people just aren’t levelling characters, because of how bad the situation is, despite the lure of allied races and such. More people won’t endure it for long, meh endgame and zzzzz levelling makes a overall disappointing game, that used to be a behemoth in the industry.

Blizz are cutting staff, where as if they really wanted to improve the game they would invest in the game and improve all these things that people are complaining about (within reason, obviously). Then maybe they’ll see their sub numbers return to something like it looked like before the calamity of 4 years ago that we won’t talk about. They need to invest to fix some of this stuff. Sorry for the rant.

I love how you expect wow to be online in a few years ;D

Jesus christ there’s too many of these threads that are about the exact same aspect of this topic going on right now to actually properly keep track of.

2 Likes