Ion take my levels!

Demon Hunter is the the answer to life the universe and everything.
what level should they start at ?

They’d have to incorporate DH into whatever was deemed to be Legion/End of WoD levelling and DK into Burning Crusade.

wow Punyelf… I bet nothing goes over your head your reflexes are too fast you would catch it :grin:

I take questions at face value, just in case :yum:

1 Like

Even if they squished/altered the amount of levels that wouldn’t change a thing. The problem is much more complex. The way you gain abilities, your strength growing, the enemies you face, the challenge and the reward from that challenge.

2 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

I said in the past multiple times that we definitely need a level squish, it gets to the point that it looks ridiculous, no matter how fast it is.

Especially from a new player perspective, if they know that they have to go through so many levels thats a lot demotivating.

However, level squish should be done correctly. Like, it’s not only how fast you reach the end level, but how fun is the process of getting there.

Of course level squish can help with the problem of having no huge gaps, like having a new ability more often or talent.

But how about the speed? Does speed necessarily means it’s fun? Certainly not, but you can’t have it take forever either.

So you will have to find a balance between speed and fun, rework maybe some areas, especially now that the timelines are such a mess in WoW if you think about it. You start in Cataclysm, you go back in time in Outland or Northrend, then you jump to Cataclysm again or MoP depends which continent you choose to go first.

There is lot that needs to be fixed regarding leveling, and it’s not all about levels.

Maybe World Quests while leveling? Or World Bosses for leveling characters that drop decent gear that they won’t replace easily while leveling and maybe grant an exp buff bonus as a reward?

Some sort of invasions like we have now in BFA.

1 Like

7 talent choices -> min 8 levels.
everything else is cosmetic design.

I don’t think we need a level squish but even then that alone wouldn’t solve the boring quest chains, the redundant quests or side quests that sometimes are hard to distinguish from actual storylines, the inconsistency in quests between expansions, the rewards that nowadays don’t compete with heirlooms, the way you interact with NPCs and the annoying talking head dialogs that cover the screen while in action, the cutscenes that you are forced to see over and over again without a built-in option in-game to disable it and many other things that just destroy the experience, at least for me.

More to the point, I don’t think that new spells or talents should be the reward for a new level because it seems like it wouldn’t scale well so I think that a better way to do this is by adding some special perk on rewards you get from quests that make your leveling experience better and more fun, it can be an active/ passive ability on gear where each quest reward would give you a different kind of perk depends on the item, maybe even depending on the quest, class and/or spec, I think that they should encourage people to use rewards they get from quests and maybe then heirlooms can be changed to be an addition to leveling gear and not as a replacement, so say you get a chest piece from a quest, you can then use heirloom item for said chest to upgrade it to give you the extra experience buff and maybe more but the point is the item that you got from the quest sticks with you for as long as you want (again, strictly for leveling) until you find another chest with a different perk that you like more and replace it.

In addition, I’d want to see a system where items you get from quests can be improved by professions so say I got a gun from a quest and I’ve picked up engineering, could be awesome if I could use it to modify the gun and I don’t mean adding a scope to it but upgrade the same item to a better quality or something.

I’d love to have a character history for quests that I’ve done and maybe even see quests that I haven’t done in an area, I know we have Wholly, this isn’t the point, I want for something like this to be built-in.

I’d love to click on NPCs and read about their background whether it’s a friendly or an hostile one in a dungeon or the open world, maybe it’s something they can add to the journal.

I want a world where things I do have an impact on my character, I want the world to feel more integrated and cohesive so I think that revamping the questing experience is more important than a level squish but maybe it goes hand in hand and it might be required.

We already have that. Heart of Azeroth.

At least we should in 8.2.

Current HoA is pretry useless once you unlock your traits =\

I saw a feedback about not increasing ilvl per expansion but give an other progression path each expansion but i don’t think it would work… Feels pretty Bad to lose what you worked for a whole expansion to start the next progression path =\

May I ask how many new players you know of who have actually said this?

I’m still pretty much a new player, despite having played since WoD (I’ve had to take plenty of fairly lengthy breaks) and I don’t get demotivated by this at all.

If anything, it motivates me because I know there are lots of things to do! But that’s just my opinion of course.

Not being funny but not everyone finds them boring.

We already get rewards from quests, and sometimes the gear rewards from levelling quests get upgraded as you accept them so they are better than the original reward. That’s a perk right there. What other perks did you have in mind?

Interesting idea as long as it doesn’t detract from the lore/storyline.

Now we’ve had so many expansions there are some things in the quests that could do with a tweak!

For instance, when you start off at level 1 on alliance side and go to Stormwind, it’s always King Alduin they refer to. This doesn’t make sense once you get to Draenor (or is it before, I don’t play Alliance now so forgive me if this is wrong) because it’s his father who is at your Garrison and who dies in Legion.

It’s something I think should be sorted out (although I’m not sure how) and there are probably others. Don’t get me wrong, it doesn’t spoil the experience it’s just a bit odd and may confuse new players.

I still don’t think a level squish is really necessary but looking at the talents, as others have said, and possibly tidying up some of the quests so the lore/story flows better from the point of view of levelling new characters would be fine.

scaling will never go away - because it lets people play together regardless on which level they are.

so if you think that level squish = remove of scaling forget about it.

they were speaking solely about level squish - they didnt speak about remodel of talents , they didnt speak about speed of leveling .

their idea is that its solely number of levels that is the problem when we established besides the point by now in this thread that its not about it being 120 level its about lenght/speed of leveling , lack of talents and few other things but 120 itself is not problem for people. its becuase leveling is uninteresting at this point.

Just a level squish, meh. A level squish with meaningful levelling and more talents and more spells overall, yes.

easiest would in a way be to make all areas in to bfa era or expac after that era, though the ammount of work needed might not be viable to do, or make it so people actualy do understand they are time jumping when they go to new areas instead of just ending up there.

Level squish is definitely needed…

If they do it properly and don’t screw it up.
Otherwise nah I’ll keep em.

thats my point . they should present playerbase with few alternative visions and see how people will react.

just removing levels for sake or removal without complete overhaul of whole process is pointless. it will still be the same boring 60-80 hours of leveling just streatched in 60 level instead 120.

imagine the feeling during levleing you had in 7.3.5 in 60-80 bracket - thats how it would feel if they kept the speed but squished only levels.

It doesnt solve the problem of a dull leveling experience to squish levels. Making leveling faster is also not in blizzards interest because of boots so its unlike thats gonna happen. In the dev q&a Ion stated the exact problems that seperate leveling now from how it was in classic but despite that blizzard refuses to change up the talent systems, bring back glyphs, heirlooms, spell ranks, class teachers, longer travel times. I know a lot of this feels nice because its easy and accessable but its less immersive in the long run, like sharding for example. J

ust having 60 levels again instead of 120 is not gonna bring back the feeling of steady and meaningful character progression that we had in vanilla/bc/wrath. Its also not gonna solve the issues of forced raid progression.
For example the BdA gear invalidated the Uldir gear by more than just itemlevel, there was more stamina on bda gear than Uldir gear on the same itemlevel, then there is the extra line of azerite taits. So a 370 bda azerite piece is better than a 385 uldir piece. It does not feel rewarding considering I had to kill mythrax for my 385 azerite shoulders and then a worldquest reward outranks it cause blizzard says so.

He said leveling would be shorter, so it won’t be the same hours, but I can understand why it won’t be half the time, since some milestones have to be a bit apart, like the time it takes to get your first mount to the time you start flying. But of course a shorter leveling experience will be the result of cutting levels.

I hear this a lot and it doesn’t make sense to me. If you were sick, woulnd’t you take the meds just because you might experience side effects? Most people take the meds and then deal with side effects when and if the arise.

Of course doing something has always the potential for unintended consequences, that doesn’t mean doing nothing is a good option. You figure a solution, plan for what you think it can happen and deal with what you fail to anticipate. That’s why community feedback is important. It broadens the discussion and gives them different perspectives, which is turns helps with planning.

Suggesting to go back to the old talent trees have always been there. However I don’t suggest a return to the old outdated misery that were called talent trees. I want to promote fresh and new things. The old talent trees was a bunch of passives which neither were fun or engaging and very limiting at the end game scene… even more limiting then the current system. Sure one could say hybrids existed, but more often then not they performed way worse.

The current talents still need alot of ironing out, since some of them are useless or underperforming. The major issues with the current system’s really that going from one talent row to the next takes ~15 levels, which is incredibly boring.

In the old system however you could go 20+ level without any single change to your gameplay since the big talents always came at 11, 21 and 31 points. Then don’t tell me about the surging power spikes… 3% dmg or 1% crit here and there isn’t significant enought to make you feel a sense of progression. At least unlocking the talents in the new tree are really noticeable for most specs.

What i proposed are a mastery system with proper choices. If you get a mastery point every 5th level starting at level 10. You whould end up with 23 points to spend at 120 on top of the current talent system. Then if the next expansion whould increase level cap to 130, you whould earn two more points making the total 25.

The mastery system whould allow you to spend points at the skills themselves. the two first points whould be simple, +dmg, -resource cost or increased durations etc. However a 3rd and 5th point whould modify the skill, adding new effects, for example:

Pistol shot;
The 3rd mastery point unlocks Ricochet; Your Pistol shot now Ricochet to a 2nd nearby enemy dealing 50% of the damage and applies slow.
The 5th point whould add Rapid Reload; Your successful Pistol shots reduces the cooldown of between the eyes by 2 sec.

Ofcourse this is just an example, ample testing and balancing whould be needed just as any other skill modifiers. However the point I’m making is that a mastery system could change skill priority lists way more then a simple talent system whould be able to. Heck the mastery system could even have a great affect on what sort of talents you want to combine with it.

In a sense it’s kind of similar to Azerite just that this system are not bound to gear. It’s simply a feature that always are aviable to you regardless of what gear you wearing and can be changed while in a rested state(by book or at an inn).