Let's make it an interview #3

"That was a good story, Troll. The kind that we should remind ourselves.

Although I am afraid my answer to your question won’t be as touching as your story. Both my parents fell with the Scourge. Still, mother, being the persistent woman she is, couldn’t manage to stay dead. Who knows where is she now? Discharged from the Forsaken army years ago, even before the fall of Windrunner, on the run. Maybe Northrend? The cold keeps the corpse fresh after all.

But if there is one thing that I know, she was never, and will never be proud of me since the day she realized I am hopeless to continue to legacy of her lineage, unable to become a Farstrider. A woman of bow and war, couldn’t manage to shape her only daughter bring more glory to her name." Bell waves a dismissive hand, her expression is unbothered. "After a century or two, one gives up on trying to please everyone. Even her parents. She visits when she needs me, I don’t.

Maybe my father would be proud. I heard his beloved first wife was a Priestess as well. Never get to know him that well, too old and too bitter since the day I started to understand the world, consumed by his work, his studies, and his grief that never went away."

Question: A Bronze Dragon owes you a favor, agreed to travel you through time. When and where would you go? And to do what?

1 Like

Taking her time to answer, her recording crystal humming faintly, she takes a deep breath.

"As we know, time is a fragile weave and our one true timeline must be preserved at all material and physical cost. Only recently do we allow ourselves the privilege of bending and reversing events unfavorable to individual entities and now even the Bronze are known for tampering with what they once so rigidly preserved.

Thus we now have mag’har of another world and age displaced into our reality. With their timeline unrelated to known causality, their presence only truly changes what history is yet becoming by their actions. Meanwhile, much has been done toward preserving our reality including travel into possible futures and complicit involvement in some of the greatest atrocities known to this world with all lives that could have been saved consigned to statistics of history by necessity in preserving those who live in the present."

The very notion seems to upset her and she takes a moment to breathe, long fingers flexing anxiously.

"Meddling is risking all of creation and reaching beyond is a rare event with respect to necessary chronological sequences. Such a daunting task must ever be handled with all due caution and unwavering profound respect for life, humility toward history and acceptance of one’s own limitations.

So what could I possibly do? My heart aches for those lost, whether at Shattrath, Silvermoon, Theramore or Teldrassil but to act to undo them leaves a universe unknown to us and a world we’ve never known. If they could be saved without catastrophic consequence to the present, would they not have been saved at another’s hand already; their lives necessary to our age?

It is a difficult matter to answer what lies in this question and without conditions favouring consequence, it is irresponsible to even consider and disrespect shown to the fallen, thinking that unmaking their sacrifice is worth unwinding the reality for which they died.

Truly, there is little that I could hope to change. Even if I would reach another chronological dead end at the edge of an alternate history to pluck a different crop from Draenor or even Argus, saving them from the inexorable crushing treads of fate. Nothing that I can accomplish is worth destroying all that we know and claiming otherwise is terrifying short sighted arrogance borne of fruitless and dangerous ambitions.

So, leaving the agony of such choices behind; what else can be done? Can I travel and see what was and will be? The path that was holds many mysteries, still and acting the observer and learning directly would be a wondrous gift. Imagine seeing the first fumbling steps of prehistory as the first bold eredar reached out to grasp the Arcane to begin the sequence that shaped the greatest of civilizations. Imagine observing the hour of one’s species first using tools of creation in such a way."

A faint smile finds its way to her lips as she continues.

"There are other events, of course that I would see by curiousity and necessity to settle contention and conjecture of many historians alongside political disputes of note. Thus armed, I could aid many in the present if I knew that it wouldn’t harm the future.

Ah yes, the future. Dare I even speculate? Each year is another crisis on this world. Would I be allowed to see the next? I doubt it geatly, leaving one soul trying to warn the mulitudes. Knowing the pivotal moment toward our next disaster, could I stop myself from intervening? Could I stay my hand seeing the Prophet’s murderer approach him? Could I stay silent, my warning dying on my lips when seeing the next warchief speak a lie to plunge the world into chaos? I cannot trust myself with this but I would wish to see the distant age when all these struggles are behind us; an Azeroth at peace in a brighter day, building what could be were its people not reduced to barbarism by necessity. I would wish to see this world, then. No matter how distant and whether or not my people yet have a place in it."

Question:

Who taught you your best skills and how did they go about it? What sort of mentor did you have?

2 Likes

"Depends on which skills. If it’s who trained me to be a demon hunter, it’s easy. Was a team effort. Handling warglaives, fel, moving and thinking like a hunter on a basic level was just a couple of months. And the change into what I am now was gradual, after the initial ritual.

But the real, on field training happened when I was already a demon hunter in full. Any soldier worth their weight can tell you that. Knowing how to bend magic to your will and doing a few flips while swinging with a blade is easy. Doing it in tandem, effortlessly and purposefully is what makes a real Hunter. And there ain’t no training or mutations in the world that can teach that. Only prepare you for learning by yourself."

Question: You can permanently bring a person into the present from whatever point in the past you wish, without changing the timeline. Who would it be and from what point in time?

1 Like

Sargeras pre-corruption.
Sargeras is one of only few beings with the means to unify azaroth and beyond.

And right now we need a unifier.
Before the alliance and horde come to blows again.

Question:
Do you believe we would be beter off with azaroth the titan was dead?

1 Like

“The Azeroth titan? Honestly, don’t know. They don’t tell people like me nothing about the matters of the Titans. Not that I’d be arrogant to try and claim I have any real sort of understanding of that, mind. Is it because of the Azeroth titan that the planet’s been bleeding Azerite that we’ve been blowing each other up with? If that’s the case I’ll take a very healthy bandaged-up titan over a wounded and bleeding or a dead one. Who knows what they’ll cook up with its body.”

Question: What is your greatest daily struggle?

1 Like

“Now? I suppose it be resistin the urge to do bad things.”

Rush looks down at the thick palms of his hands. “Banditry pays. It be awful, despicable, but it pays. In my days in the Horde army, I fought far more orcs and other trolls than I ever did humans or dwarves. Bandits be everywhere, and every time we got them, we found enough loot to buy a fortress.”

He looks up again, almost shy to speak. “Axe me the question, I tell you no lie: I never stole in my whole life. But I know how to, now. I’ve busted enough bandits and highway robbers…enough to know that they make way more money than I ever will. His gaze drifts toward the window. “Loa, protect me from my own actions.”

Question: if you retired - if you could retire in such a world beset by the craft of war - then where would you go to escape it all?

2 Likes

“Oh, I’d travel back to the wandering isle. I’d love to spend the rest of my days in the land I grew up in, not only to be with family and old friends, but to feel a sense of normality again. The horde is a wonderful place, with lots of cities and cultures to visit, but we pandaren are still strangers in a strange land. Some of us might fit in more then others,but I’ve always felt that the others races of the horde share a stronger sense of unity and bond with each other then they do with us. I am ever grateful for their hospitality, but my heart will one day long for home.”

Question: Do you feel like your race is an integral and ingrained part of your faction? Or do you feel like an outsider looking in?

"This world is our home and the factions, such as they are, remain a political necessity. Through this bond, this union of nations, I do find common cause and spirit in no small part from shared faith and history of suffering horde predations.

Despite this, my people are outsiders still. Exiles for many millennia, it will take more than a few years to establish ourselves not just in local culture and custom but in our own hearts as well. Many yet long for lost Argus in a deeply felt sense at odds with reality; a nostalgic pining that while useful in preserving the old ways remains an obstacle toward ever truly treating Azeroth as their home.

Personally, as an outsider, culturally and geographically lest we forget Azuremyst isles remote location especially now, I have a luxury of exploring and asking questions natives may not necessarily ask themselves. In this, my status is a gain and not a loss. One day, though, I wish to be cherished neighbour more than honoured guest."

Question:

Perhaps a loaded subject but what great social change would you enact on a given culture within your faction if you had the influence?

1 Like

Question: Perhaps a loaded subject but what great social change would you enact on a given culture within your faction if you had the influence?

"Oof, this is a big one. Narrowing it down a lot, there’s probably one major problem on the list: Humans in many cities are still superstitious about magic, as if to make up for the existence of Dalaran. This keeps them from integrating it into their lives, which could make everything so much easier.

"Imagine if there was a druid or a shaman at every farm in the greater kingdom of Stormwind. They’d never fear blight or drought again, harvests would be richer than ever, and maybe the various evil cults of the world would have fewer desperate recruits. Though honestly, general magical education might also help with that. ‘Demons and You: How the two should never mix.’

“The point is that, while some Humans - like the entire city of Dalaran’s Human population - clearly don’t need this, when you talk to people in Elwynn or Duskwood, they really don’t know the things many Thalassian Elves would consider basics. Stuff you teach to children. I think they’d be a lot better off with more knowledge of, and access to, the people and forces that can improve their lives.”

Question: Leaving aside questions of Anduin’s personal qualifications, should the Alliance listen so much to the Human king? Does the Horde have the right idea in moving to council rule?

1 Like

My answer is: no. Any Human king is… well Human. Whats their lifespan? 100 years top and after their seventies/eighties they are err… not useless , not completly, but pretty much yeah.
What a Human lack is perspective.
Its easy to wage wars and r*pe the enviroment when you will not be there to see and suffer the long term consequences… and you know it
Not to mention the fact, they are actually incapable of forming a strong and unified race. Even the Clan based Orc savages managed to work together as a Race and stayed together, while humanity’s default state is to be fragmented in to several small and rivalising “kingdoms”.
Even now, what left of Azeroth’s Humans are not ruled by the Human King… there is no such thing as the Human King… there is a Human King. Several actually. Greymane of Gilneas, Anduin of Stormwind, Danath of Stromgarde, the Council of Six of Dalaran… the Lord Admiral of Kul tiras, and you even could count in Calia Menethil of Lordareon. Not to mention the Noble Houses.
Its a mess
Humans are not like Elves or Dwarves… more like Trolls, every tribe of Humans doing whatever they want.
So no, a Human king is not fitting to lead the Alliance… and no sane individual should expect such ancient creatures like Valen or Tyrande to listen to a Human and put the fate of their race in his hand and governed by his decision.
So yes, the Horde got that right… tho’ Talanji wise decision to remain independent as an ally I think set up a route, where the Blood elves of Quel’Thalas, the Nightborne of Suramar, the Vulpera Caravans (already part of the coalition of Voldunai) and the Taurens of highmountain and Mulgore should be considered independent, soverign kingdoms/empires like Zandalar, but working as allies, not bound by some blood oath to some warmonger’s wet dream of blood, honor and glory… and the council of the leaders decide, not one individual.
Funny… the Horde became a real Alliance of races of mutual goal… while the Alliance became like the Horde was and now kept together only by oaths and shaky promises and fear of the world outside of the human borders and of course, the future

Question: would you leave Azeroth? Lets assume either by the Fel Hammer, the Vindicaar, or just thanks to some artifact like the Sargerite Keystone or individuals like Matron Mother Malevolence, who are capable to tear a portal to the far away world… you would have the opportunity to leave this planet and the wars and all. Either alone, or either with companions, or even enough people from your or another race to from a healthy and strong colony and start from square one!
Would you do it? If yes, alone? With others? whom?

1 Like

That would depend entirely on the destination in question!

As a Warlock, I know that there are many magnificent and wonderful worlds out there, but I also know that there exist some decidedly un-fun places that I haven’t the least desire to ever visit.

Although the idea of traveling to another world to found my own kingdom does sound appealing. Unfortunately it would be very difficult to find suitable subjects.

I suspect that us Ren’Dorei may be sterile due to the sheer amount of void energies we’ve been exposed to, so we’d never be able to form a colony.
Taking some uncorrupted blood elves from Quel’thalas would be one solution, although it’d take a long while to suitably populate the place, and then there’s still all the void prejudice.
It would be easy to summon a plethora of demons to form a dukedom, alas; I have enough experience with demons to know that they are a bother to deal with, including the seemingly obedient ones. That, and the fact they make poor farmers, tax payers and are chronically unable to form a civil society.

Question: Who is your most feared enemy? Why?

“The Old Gods. I have encountered those exposed to their manipulation and I can safely say that I would rather see myself dismembered, burned and what have you than turn into an empty husk. Once your mind is no longer yours, what can you do?”

Question: Who is the last person you killed? How and why did it happen?

1 Like

"That is the funny thing about war if any one thing about war could be funny; in craving it and striving for this objectionable outlet for aggression that is so often applied to lay claim to land and titles we must necessarily reduce our fellow sentients to objects to be traded for this material gain.

In this, the enemy is denied worth and purpose, becoming more a force of nature to be weathered. Personhood as such is actively denied and the enemy is rendered down into unhinking, unfeeling beings without a place in this world.

Paradoxically, we see it necessary to attribute these unthinking nonperson actors a malevolence and fundamental unifying drive. They are then not nothing, not a wild and mindless storm but the “enemy”; the universal opposition with an unflinching purpose to do nothing but destroy.

Both mindsets let us simply label our foe, be they the horde or the alliance with all old hatreds applied and directed. The individual is then no longer a person whether you believe them a nothing to overcome in detachment or stoked to a blaze of indignant fury as you think of nothing but your enemy’s end and their crimes of malice against you.

When the fighting is done, we are conditioned already to not regard our former foe a person, thus is it easy to fight them anew and so much easier the less they resemble you. Culturally or physically. Qualifiers of personhood beyond sentience is more a philosophical question than one of wartime psychology.

Ah… oh, but what person did I…? Well, as needs must, a tentacled cultist outside the seat of knowledge. Such places demand defending regardless of ones philosophy or political inclinations."

Question:

Imagine being given authority of a patch of land by blood, merit or the luck of the draw. What would be the first three laws you apply to your land?

2 Likes

1, Any Undead (Vulpera Death Knights exluded), Orc, Goblin or Gnome will be executed. No question asked. Undead need no explanation, Orc brought nothing just death and destruction to Azeroth, the Goblins gladly destroy the land for profit and gnomes (especially a mechanical kind) are creepy like Fel!
2. Speaking of Fel, as long as they are obey the Laws, Man’ari, Naga and Demons are welcomed to my territory. If the events during the invasion (certiain Red Eredar “rogue” who helped the Order Hall leaders or the ones like Matron Mother Malevolance proved they can behave and be work with). Warlocks similary are welcomed, but must reguraly check in to any signs of insanity
3, speaking of Insanity, Void and Light fanatics will suffer the similar fate like the ones in the First Law. Not users, mind you! Fanatics and Cultist. And yes, the Lightforged are a Cult. With a space ship. And army. But even ex-twilight cultist can be reasoned with, so keep your devotion and insanity in check. Like Warlocks, check in now and then, reguraly to decide if your mind is intact enough to be allowed to stay? If not, may the Sand devour your remains!

Question: Hoist the colours! You have the opportunity to join my pirate crew to sail the seas, pillage, plunder, gamble, enjoy your fair share of the treasures and be free from the insanity of the Alliance vs Horde nonsense! Your captain will be little ol’ me, a Vulpera and follower of Gral, come matey, join me crew, be one of my Sharks!
Would you do it?
Or rather walk to plank to swim with my patron’s childrens…?

“Take me chances wit de sharks.”

Kalu’cha places a small jug on the table with a crossed out shark on it.

“Gral Repellent… Workin’ more den ya expect.”

Question:
What is death to you?

1 Like

There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.

Question: I’m quite sure everyone experienced one form or another the Visions of N’Zoth, fears, hopes, dreams and dreads made real…
So what do you think?
All the insanity, the pointless wars, arguments and deaths… the whole life now…
Is it an illusion? We are experiencing one of the Great Manipulator’s grandest trick?
Is there a way out?
Would you take it, to see whats real… whats behind the veil of the visions? The illusion?

"Hoo, boy. You don’t ask small questions, do you? Well, welcome to the existential crisis that the Void invokes. I wish I could tell you it was all nonsense, just N’zoth trying to get inside your head and make you doubt things, but while that is what he’s doing, it’s also not wrong.

"There are contradictory truths to the universe that our perception of reality cannot contain, with or without the Old Gods to inhabit them. And when they do get involved, the difference between a figment of your imagination and a verifiable reality starts to get pretty blurry. The Visions we’ve been seeing, they’re from N’zoth’s imagination - his idea of how things will go should he emerge victorious - but they’re also real possible futures, though it’s hard to say just what that means in practical terms.

"To your final question: If this is all a grand ploy, would I choose to peer beyond the veil and see the truth? Even if it drives me mad? Even if I seem mad, by the standards of others who haven’t seen it? Would I take that plunge, knowing that I can never go back to blissful ignorance?

“I’m a Void Elf. I made that choice long ago.”

Question: On a more pleasant topic, what’s your opinion of the Holy Light? Is it merely a cosmic force like any other, or is it fundamentally good?

"Forgive my sermon for I am no Anchorite but the Light is not fundamentally good, it is the fundamental good in our universe. A cosmic force, yes, and in this a fundamental part of reality and all that we are. The Light is the spark of life without which we could not be and the source of that which we know to be good.

The Light is the whisper within you that urges you forward in times of despair despite all seeming lost, being what gives that flicker of hope and reassurance that better days will come if you hold to this promise and step forward. It is the warmth you know in the company of kith and kin and the certitude that all you do has purpose. It is the urge to help another in need and the awareness that others suffer; your empathic urge to make a difference in recognition of the lives and worth of another. Life knows life and so Light recognises Light, thus the world is made brighter and warmer.

The Light is life, hope, truth and serenity, compassion and empathy, it is all that is good within and without, woven into the very fabric of what we are. Of course there are misguided souls who do harm in their desire to do what good the Light calls them toward but their crimes are not the Light but the frailties of mortal beings, confusion and misplaced zeal.

The Light will ever be as it was at the Dawn; the very source of life and the good it does in a universe blooming into conscious deeds, aware and perceiving its reality. It will ever be in opposition to its dark opposite; source of confusion, doubt and despair. It is our charge as intelligent beings to learn and know the difference and act in accord with all that is good and in time, be as one with the Light."

A brief pause follows along with a faint smile before she continues.

“No one asked, but I am unsure of what to make of those who amplify and enhance the Light within them; these Lightforged. The benefits are obvious but is this… hmm… shortcut to a blessed state truly safe for us ignorant mortals? Are we truly prepared to ascend to such a state still burdened with not just our flaws but later also unwilling to see the fault in ourselves, so certain of the Light’s truth that we confuse it for our own? I believe that this risk exists within our own failings. No matter. This will not be my path. I will continue to look toward the Light within me and trust its guidance.”

Question:

Another thought experiment. If the factions were to collapse, how would you reshuffle the nations and races of Azeroth for lasting peace? No one kingdom can simply be conquered or removed; you can only create new unions and alliances between them.

I will not let this die!

This is not a simple question
Depends really the mindste of the orcs
All the other Horde races are reasonable, yes, even the poor Forsaken, and even they are free the conditioning and brainwashing of the Lich Queen wanabee; without her I don’t think they would ever touch the Blight or rise anyone against their will like the Scoruge did them… they never would curse someone to the similar fate they had to suffer, so giving them a little kingdom where they could leave out their remaining unlife and giving them peace would not mean they suddenly knock your doors “Pardon me Sir, do you have time to talk about our lady and savior, Slyvanas… on a side note: Death to the living! Blight all! I will eat your braaainss…” No. They would enjoy their freedom and I think would want to remain undistrubed and live in peace. The key, when one of them visits another kingdom, don’t treat them garbage, but like any other living being
The Taurens have Mulgore and Highmountian, won’t go to war with anyone
The Goblins just want business, and war while good to business, peace is even better on the long run and a wise trade prince quickly would realise, trading contract, shipping contract, the rebulding the world is much better business than destroying it for profit that you can’t enjoy when you are dead…
Face it, Suramar and Silvermoon, both the Blood Elves and Nightborne want what the Night elves want: leave us alone in our city/forest, treat us like superior beings, respect us and don’t talk to us unless spoken too. This worked for many many years with the humans and thalassians…
the gnomes and mechagnomes would clear Gnomergan and continnue their lives, while the Worgen would have Gilneas back
Dranei/lightforged: GO HOME - you have your own planet, yes its a demon infested hellhole but its yours. Fight for it! Cleans it! Reclaim it! Untill then feel free to stay where the Exodar crashed, and you are welcomed with all of your hi-tech knowledge to help rebuild Azeroth
The Pandarens are like the Zandalari - Troll tirbes united under them as the part of the New Zandalari Troll Empire - , have their own empire and while welcoming now, if you don’t bother them they will not bother you. Talanji would recive Jaina who I think would offer herslef as a compensation for her fathers death accpeting all responsibility… and I think Telenji would let her live. She is a wise Queen and her father made many mistakes, like Jaina’s, and after months of imprisoment she would realise Jaina is kindred spirit and never wanted his father death.
Dwarves are easy, they are fine in Ironforge
Humans need to rebuild… and friends
I think this new Azeroth would start with species and kingdoms taking the islationist route, but slowly accepting each other, helping here and there to the other and ultimately uniting the planet in a mega faction
Now the orcs… if they could forgive themselves and accept, the old ways of the Old Horde are gone, its time to change… and would return to their spiritual noble clan-like roots, there wouldn’t be any problem. If not… and they can’t be conquered or removed, I think they would find tehmselves… alone. Every old friend and ally simply just trun their back on them, ignoring them to the point they either realise they could have a part in the world if they embrace their past ad future… or eventually the winds of time simply would blow away their ashes

Question: since the Legion’s fractured in to mirriad of little demonic factions, led by Annihilan warlords, scheming Nathrezim lords, Man’ari commanders rule/terrorize the Great Dark now, a large number of red skinned Man’ari Eredar arrives with their Legion ships asking you to help them to be accepted in to your faction
Would you help them? If yes, why and how?

Question: since the Legion’s fractured in to mirriad of little demonic factions, led by Annihilan warlords, scheming Nathrezim lords, Man’ari commanders rule/terrorize the Great Dark now, a large number of red skinned Man’ari Eredar arrives with their Legion ships asking you to help them to be accepted in to your faction
Would you help them? If yes, why and how?

"Ohh boy. Don’t ask the easy questions, do you? You’re sure I can’t just kick this one to Velen? No? Fine, fine. So… Demons. Man’ari Eredar. I’ll be the first to say that wielders of objectively horrible magic don’t have to be bad people, but these ones worked for the Legion, so we can safely say they’re monsters.

"But will they always be monsters? Draenei tradition demands that a chance for redemption be offered even to demons, and while I’m not a Draenei, similar principles of Light and such are common in the Alliance. If we turned these demons away at the door, are we betraying our own values? And then on the other hand, even if we extracted promises that they would abide by a series of laws demanding some kind of moral behavior - a term which I’m in no hurry to define - what’s the promise of a demon even worth? These are famous liars and corruptors. How would we verify anything they say?

"And then there’s the matter of scale. How many demons are we talking, here? Even a fraction of the Legion’s total numbers is still a lot of demons. A few Black Harvest warlocks I know have been tracking Legion splinter groups, and we could be looking at thousands, even tens of thousands of demons. That’s a potent fighting force, and an extremely volatile ally. If they turned on us for any reason, we could be in deep trouble, even by our standards. And let’s not kid ourselves, they’d turn on us if they thought they’d benefit.

“Every practical bone in my body tells me to fake an agreement and lure them into a position to be dismantled. Unfortunately, I am told that the Alliance does not operate that way, even with demons, so I suppose we either openly refuse or honestly accept. In light of that, I see no choice but to accept. If we don’t, they’ll only sign on with our enemies - I bet Sylvanas could use some new flunkies. But we cannot make the mistake of trusting them, and we have to watch their every move, maybe for generations to come. Even then, well, there was no good answer to this.”

Question: Let’s try something more light-hearted. If you could pick any place - any world in any timeline, across history, the Nether, et al - where would you want to live?

1 Like