Lewd names shouldn't exist within world of Warcraft for kids

I’m more astonished by the logic of being offended by lewd names and not killings.

1 Like

this game is rated T for teen, meaning it has blood/gore and anything else in it, if your kid is younger than 13 he shouldn’t be playing wow, and if he’s 13 or older he’s trolling you

Ooh do spill the tea!

That language is more purple than my chocolate starfish grapes on the worst of days…

That…really is not… Are you sure you are using that term correctly? I mean I -could- use ‘Purple’ language at the risk of self-parody, but that, no, that is simple and easy to understand wording. We just used to call it ‘having a vocabulary’. Are we limited to a number of words we can use to express ourselves these days then? Can we get some angry teen in from reddit to tell us how many words are permittable before it gets ‘Too many words, Brain hurts’ and we can try and accommodate that language limitation when speaking/typing to such people?

This being a perfect example. I mean good gods, if you thought that using the English language is purple, heavens forfend you ever encounter -actual- purple prose.

I know this might surprise you but most people don’t talk like you, you very much come off as someone pretentious, using flowery language to say what takes a simple 4 word statement

1 Like

Sadly, it does not surprise me, I do not however see it as a reason to degrade my understanding of language to suit them. We should be helping these people, not punishing them.

I mean there is much to be said for Laconic speech, but then the people who invented it didn’t really leave much poetry behind, did they, or anything complex (I love the Spartans, but they weren’t great talkers)

What would you propose, that to keep this four word limit I should have just answered “Yo’ momma” or “No U” I would, in honesty find that a very grey and tawdry world to live in, where we talk in grunts and memes, and no one has any personality to their words, for fear of ‘using too many’.

No, that would be an awful world.

1 Like

laconic wit is the ability to say simply what others say an a complex speech.

that can be condensed down to the much more easily digestible and to the point statement “So if we do use a 4 word limit do you expect us to type in slang and insults because I don’t think that solves the problem”

Also you love to twist peoples words… When did I propose a 4 word cap? All I said was in a round about way be concise and to the point. Not limit what you say to 4 words…

1 Like

he’s dumb af

Count me in the disagreement too

1 Like

Dissagree all you sent lewd names is wrong

dislike post

As someone whose job it is to train people in pretty technical science stuff in a lab:

Trick is to explain a concept and the crux of a topic in the most concise way as possible, rather than trying to sound clever or use unnecessary language to make up for insecurity in intelligence.

Flowery language has its purposes, and discussion isn’t one of them. Knowing when to embellish and when to get to the point is a very important skill. If you like the fluff, stick to writing gothic literature or something.

3 Likes

This is not a children’s game. Show me one legit Rank 3K Arena player that is 10 years old? Their brains aren’t ready.

You can tell your child what Bootyslapper means and his daddy can demonstrate it.

:peach: :boom::raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

1 Like

It isn’t that Blizz ‘allows’ the names, it’s that this maybe hasn’t been properly added to a bad names list they’ve got, or it’s considered not against TOS as, as other people have said, this is a 12+ rated game.
All you can do is report names you come across so Blizz can use the procedures they already have to handle bad names.

Weekend thread: 1/10

1 Like

Tell him that it’s a reference to a bowl of fruit.

He will understand when he grows up.

1 Like

Are you telling me that we need to rename Booty Bay too? Grow up.

if you look at it from above it kind of looks like a bowl. So how about fruit bowl bay?

Actually it is not. It is typically used as a -rejoinder- to a longer speech. As a stand alone it simply does not work, because it has nothing to stand against. That is how laconic wit has always worked, ever since the people who we gained the term from, the Spartans of Laconia, unless it is used in such a way, it either prefaces a speech, or ends a speech, which by definition means there is a speech somewhere in there.

So I must pander to others because they find more words scary? History would disagree with you on that front.

Just There. (That by the way, -was- a laconic rejoinder)

See? This is what happens when people become inarticulate. This is what conversation would be reduced to.

That is a different ball game though, that is trying to explain an immutable set of facts or purpose to people so that they understand them implicitly, not an open discussion, where you need to inspire, rally or even desire other people to agree with you.

Who defines ‘unnecessary language’? Because that term needs taking out back and shooting. The thing I find annoying, is that these days on the internet, some people regard anything longer than two sentences as ‘a paragraph’ , or ‘too many words’ . I can therefore only assume that people who think that way, are not on a level where any discussion would be profitable. I do sort of blame Twitter for that, which is why I refuse to use it, it reduces human intellect to only a few sentences. Imagine if you tried, as you say to train people in a technical role, and after about a minute or less people were just like “Skip to the End”.
Would you really feel like your message had been gotten across?

That is what people do when they complain about ‘too many words’, or even more lazily, showing how truly thick people are becoming, just type ‘TL:DR’

Imagine trying to train people only for them to go “Just tell us the ending”

Good Gods no. I did indeed read Anne Rice and Poppy Z Brite when I was younger, and a goth, but that ship sailed a long time ago, by almost three decades, they amused at the time, but to dismiss gothic literature is as foolish a statement as to dismiss a style of architecture. I mean how far back do we go? I mean let’s forget the Twilight ‘books’ which are an embarrassment to literature (a female friend’s description, on which grounds I spared myself even were I so inclined to read them) Was Stephen King OK? Dracula OK? Edgar Allen Poe? HP Lovecraft? Frankenstein? Doctor Faustus? Golem Legends? How about legends and myths?

That just doesn’t make sense.

For the hard of thinking, I will boil down the simple point made in simple, and the same words, several times over. It involves three short sentences, so what may be construed as a paragraph these days (Sarcasm -Fully- intended)

Game is 12+
Parent allows child under 12 to play.
Parent blames company for their own Parental negligence.

Simple enough?

3 Likes