Long Topic

There are different games for different people. That is not a statement for or against flying. It’s just a statement about whether compromises are a good idea in game design.

Games need direction. You cannot design a game to appeal to all.

I’d rather Blizzard commit to no flying. If they can’t do that, I’d rather they commit to flying. This “compromise”? I really don’t like it.

As regards to jumping puzzles, flying, and optional stuff - there are several types of stuff that make up a game. One of them is content, and the other is mechanics. Making optional content is extremely easy - you just take a piece of content and put it in the game, and then you leave it up to players whether they’ll do it or not. Making an optional mechanic or game rule is less simple, but can be done. Making an optional mechanic and balancing it against ignoring it is hilariously, ridiculously difficult.

A jumping puzzle is an optional piece of content.
Flying mounts is an optional mechanic.
Incidentally a flying mount is an optional piece of content.
Making you do jumping puzzles in order to get upgrades, in general, is an optional mechanic.

You can choose not to mount up. You can choose not to get gear upgrades. But if you do, don’t expect your gimped self to be competitive with anyone else.

You can choose not to get that mount and you can choose not to do that puzzle, but you won’t be far behind at all. More than likely you’ll have found a different objective to make up for it anyway.

Mechanics are just absolutely constant, and you ignore them at your peril. You could also decide that Vespene Gas is totally ridiculous in StarCraft 2 and not use it. You’ll lose every single game but you could do it. It’s kindda like that with flying mounts.

XD

To who are you losing with only using ground mounts? In SC you are playing against someone. In wow in the world you are just less fast at your WQ. But you are not competing anyone.

1 Like

If you are slower doing quests, you are slower upgrading your gear or other stuff that matters and you fall behind in other ways.

1 Like

Slower than who?
Mind you, we got 10 months without flying anyway at the start of BFa.

1 Like

I am sure there are plenty of ‘niche’ games that have appeal to a specific market. WoW has never been like that as you said earlier an MMORPG is appealing to the masses. From a business point of view, to ensure they continue to make money then they really do need to try and make the game satisfying enough for all to play.

And this is where we will always disagree, which is fine it would be a boring world if everybody agreed on everything :slight_smile: I do believe a compromise is better than forcing everyone to the one choice.

thats not quite true. dunno if flyff is still a thing but it had flying and it was really cool. :blush:

Would you use both hands to rip his throat out or only the right?

Also you may want to cool your head. When you’re bordering on real-life threats to people because you don’t feel they have the right to reply to “your” thread it is time to find some other outlet for your rage.

1 Like

Slower than anyone who flies, obviously.

You know what she means. Don’t try to evade the point by trying to bamboozle with an overwhelming amount of multivariate statistics. Obviously not using flying mounts makes you slower.

No i do not understand it. You play the way you like. There is no comparisment. I even rerolled 2 times and am 470+ ilvl. I leveled and do everything in resto (shaman), resto (druid) and holy (paladin) spec. That must be slower too than everyone else. But with who am i comparing? you understand what i mean, for real with who am i comparing?

There’s plenty of MMORPGs with flying. But pretending to be ignorant of it fits his narrative better.

Idk man I asked several vanilla and tBC devs and they all disagree with you - so I really don’t think you should come and tell me what they think when you obviously haven’t asked them. That’s just weird…

Fine. :slight_smile: I would never design by committee or design by compromise - but we disagree on whether that should be done or not, and that’s fine.

oh wow, you just proved hinatas point. :roll_eyes:

I haven’t been rude to you, so would ask that you return the favour. In respect of Vanilla and TBC devs, are these devs on the current team? If not are their opinions more valid than anybody else? If I don’t like something in game now, do I need to speak to the current devs to post an opinion?

If I did have the opportunity to speak to the same people you spoke to, am I then just to agree because that’s what they said and therefore it’s the way it should be?

Opinions differ and each person is allowed to have an opinion.

What is a shard?

i bet. flyff was just the first thing that sprung into my mind because i really enjoyed it a lot when i was younger. :slight_smile:

but yeah, a quick google search showed plenty of mmorpgs with flying. :neutral_face:

1 Like

It’s okay, I just asked 4 other vanilla developers and they said flying is one of the best things that has happened to the game post-release.

2 Likes

With other players?

And you didn’t inhibit your progress - you just spread it out. You sacrificed some progress in one area of the game in exchange for progress in another.

You’re not asking the no-flying crowd to do that. You’re asking them to not fly in exchange for literally no progress whatsoever in any game mode.

You could put a whole shed-load of hidden and very worthwhile ground objectives all over the place that flying players don’t get to see, but even then the flying player moves faster and can just hover right above the ground and spot it anyway.

You may not be going into the game with a competitive mindset, but it’s as simple as this: Not flying costs time. That time is spent by others advancing their characters, thus the guy who can’t fly falls behind. If nobody can fly, everyone gets that cost, and there are no advantages being given out to anyone.

And I’m just going to pre-empt “Why would you do something that costs extra time anyway?” by answering that I think this is where a lot of fun comes in, and a video game is nothing if not a giant exercise in spending time for fun. If I can do something that takes longer and is more fun, I’ll do it, but not if the game punishes me for it - which it absolutely does when flying is allowed.

Blimey. This post goes on a bit doesnt it!
Anyone for a pint?

2 Likes

Ya interested me in a pint.

2 Likes