Long Topic

Throw in a packet of crisps and you got a date :wink:

3 Likes

count me in!

2 Likes

Just go enjoy the game. Just let me run on EK from north to south on a ground mount while others are flying over me. It gives even a more dimension.

The game is not about optimalisating of 5-10 minutes. It is about playing a MMORPG with all the fun you can make, with all your own enjoyments. There will always be champions better geared anyway. Better not compare with them. You play your game.

For the record; for me that is also playing a s h itton of M+ and challenge myself till i fall over. Also fun. But i am not comparing.

2 Likes

Deal! ha ha ha

1 Like

I think you’re being very rude, actually. Not on a surface-level “angry words” kind of way - it’s much worse.

You said the game was always supposed to appeal to a mass market and therefore they would always have wanted flying. You didn’t say whether the game should have it based just on your opinion - you based it on what you thought their objectives were and are.

You are categorically incorrect in this statement, and it’s rude because I literally just told you otherwise, and I told you I’ve spoken to them. I even gave the names of some of them.

You are flippantly dismissing my claims. You are making statements about the intent of some people I now consider friends without even knowing them. And you are knowingly doing it. On top of that you’re suggesting that they just make games to make money and appeal to mass market with little regard for their personal understanding of fun and would therefore make it full of compromises. No competent game designer works like that.

These statements are not just rude. They’re advanced rude.

Blizzard expected around half a million players - mainly the Everquest crowd. They did build the game to not be as punishing as Everquest because they didn’t think levellign down was fun, but in terms of its genre and just in general it was absolutely aimed directly at Everquest and Dark Age of Kamelot. It was not based on a ton of compromises and it was not designed to just appeal to mass market. It just did anyway because it was really effin’ good.

You better go do content where you can not fly. That is where you gear you characters. In the world you get nothing. Even GETTING flying is a time loss in advancing your chars. Every second in the world is a time loss you could have used in instances.

I am debating in a thread, I have not been rude.

I don’t know half the people on the forums, but I still debate in threads, I don’t understand what point you are making here. You tell me your friends said this so I can’t disagree with them?

Are you suggesting games are made to not make money or to appeal to the masses?

Is there a need for this?

in my opinion it both improved and made some things worse.
in flight you can easily find secret roads and places you were originally supposed to find by mistake, which makes it all funner(is that a word). it also makes everything small like large walls, statues, trees, waterfalls etc… which is bad.
but it also make travel less sufferable. i REALLY dont want to spend half an hour and across distances or die by random monsters and people all the time.

1 Like

You mean is there a need to circumvent the swear filter? No. No there is not. It’s flaggable even.

Yes but I won’t flag, although I do think people should take a time out when they get angry, come back with a cooler mind :wink:

2 Likes

if you guys want to fight, do it with PMs.

Read the posts Wushupanda, I didn’t want to fight, I was debating about flying versus none flying. I wasn’t angry or volatile in the slightest :wink:

Edit: But of course if people disagree with my assessment they are free to flag my posts :slight_smile:

Fighting with prime ministers is a bad idea. It is a very, very bad idea. It can cause some trouble. I’m talking really, really big trouble. Let’s not fight amongst ourselves, let’s make this forum great again.

3 Likes

And yet WotLK had the most players in WoW’s history, and it had flying.

2 Likes

I bet most of those players stopped playing after hitting 78 and getting Cold Weather Flying.

It also had no growth and got followed by an expansion with flying from the start, and it lost all the subs that WotLK gained and then some, and then MoP came out and it also had flying immediately and lost another 3 million.

The biggest growths in WoW subs were during early WoD (even if it was extremely brief), during vanilla, and upon the release of Classic. In all 3 cases there are no flying mounts - unlike the expansions with flying, which either grew slightly or not at all.

WoD then fell off a cliff afterwards because Blizzard had stopped working on half the content and then decided to stop adding content in order to enable flying instead for some utterly bizarre reason.

Meh.

Ok good to know…I umm think.

There’s other explanations that may suffice beyond the availability of flying etc. It’s not like in each of these expos (cata, mop, wod) the big advertised features were “flying is enabled from the word go/flying no longer allowed!” they were in there, but not the main article.

Cata changed many zones people have vanilla memories of, in this way it was a controversial move even if it improved the game experience. Many saw it as tinkering with beloved elements of the game and making the levelling “ez mode”. It also introduced LFR and had very highly tuned dungeons, both stuff that might cause players to nope out. I don’t think flying everywhere can be the point of focus here. People still moan about westfall even today.

MOP was always going to be a hard sell, even if blizzard have developed a race in pandaren, there was always going to be the “lol kung fu panda” memes, and people interpreting the expansion as one big long brown-nose to the Asian markets (even if that’s absurd). Not every agreed on the class design in MoP as well as it homogenised a lot of elements and was the first step in removing the theme of “your class can’t do that” that continued up till today. This is all stuff that could easily remove subs more so than the fact you can fly.

If flying was the issue, presumbely these people would have left in wotlk when it became clear flying was not just an expansion feature. It seems odd to assume flying is one of the principle reasons several expansions later when there is plenty of distinct changes between expansions that seem to be more likely culprits in explaining why someone played in wotlk but not mop for example (as opposed to assuming the thing that cause them to drop was present in both expos, but they only decided to act on it two expansions later because…?)

Vanilla having the largest growth is hardly suprising as this was when WoW had that shiny lustre and the colossal reputation of reforming the entire MMO market. Flying wasn’t even a conscious idea at this point to again, to suggest that “the fact we can’t fly” was one of the core reasons is absurd to me. No other MMOs at the time allowed you to fly either, but WoW did have several things they didn’t and it’s more likely to me, these are responsible for vanilla’s boom (and the reputation of the game) than the fact of not flying.

WoD is hard to explain, after MoP (an expansion of dealing with pandas in asianland) WoD appears as a “back to basics” expo, orcs, humans, gul’dan, thrall, etc. These are staples of blizzard, their calling cards. I think the inital burst of WoD was due to the themes were very promising, but failed to maintain their lustre when the design systems of WoD became apparent, as did the alck of diverse content. Even though WoD is seen by many as the “worst” today, you never usually see them citing the overall theme and thematics as the reason; many actually say that wod has very good zones and a good mood to it, it just sucks because of the way it was handled mechanically (garrison).

Classic exceeded my expectations, but nostalgia is the obvious reason here. Again, seems odd to go “it’s because ppl can’t fly” as opposed to looking at the obvious fact that it offered a “trip back in time” and all of what vanilla gave us, that was the draw, flying might have been part of it, but i doubt it was the principle reason.

All-in-all I think the looking of subs when regarding flying is always quite dodgey, becauseshort of conducting a precise suirvey, we have no idea why those people dropped when they did. But to assume it’s based on one factor amongst several hundred a new expansion switches up is just…naive to me. It could be, it might not be, but on the balance or probabilities i’m going to say it’s safer to assume if i had to pick one thing that caused them to quit, it’s one of the other (hypothetical) hundred things (99% true) than it being the way flying was handled: one thing (1%).

2 Likes

I just want to point out, the reason I quit WoD was that the fact that the whole of the discovering of vale of eternal blossoms being missing at that point ( i didn’t play during MoP, I come and go), and when I got to frostfire ridge and bladespire citadel quests being completely and utterly broken… gave me the message that the newly formed activision blizzard did not even give a monkey’s about the main quest being complete and working.

They been together since TBC .
And im surpised you are not banned after threating another posters life yesterday in my view you should be on a very long ban and police invold .
You have no right to speak to others like you do and i see you deleted the post but heres the thing ive flagged it .

3 Likes