[Lore] Please update us on High Elves

Spontaneous cleansing
How marvelous…
How the heart of M’uru remained unblemished when a Void God’s "requirment’ to be lose all light…?
Eh, whatever
Wave and smile to my theory sinking to the bottom of the ocean :wave:

I think you;'re correct, they’re horrible and need to be killed off.
They bring absolutly nothing to the game, aside from waifu material for the Alliance boys.(It’s all about the model, anyways) But they have their Draenei, Human, Void Elf and Night Elf material to console them.
There are two ways about this;

Option 1. They are hypocrites(not a stretch) and join the Void Elves, Vereesa included, she gets killed in a raid(soon), it’s for the best.

Option 2. They die a horrible death and are never seen, heard, or spoken off ever again.

It’ll be for the greater good.

1 Like

There’s about 3 of them left in existence and like 20k in Stormwind. They’re all city-less hobos.

There’s your lore :poop:

Another high elf thread?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(pause for breath)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

2 Likes

No, there were genuine concerns about duplicating the blood elves to the alliance. It’s a faction based game, it benefits from having distinct factions. And you’ll find that for many, they STILL haven’t given in, because what is had is not ‘high elves’ as traditionally defined, it’s still a void elf. Now, a void elf is a high elf, that is indisputable, but a blood elf is also a high elf and one that is closer to the ideal. Even at the end they still resist complete capitulation.

“To me anyway”

Exactly. Your subjective opinion that has been stated several times WRONG by canon lore.

High elf crowd are nothing but bunch of complainers with snowflake syndrome. You want to have something special to feel good and demand whole world to bend for your minor desires.

Blood elves are high elves. Period. Sindorei literally are waht remains of high elven population on Azeroth. Very same people you demand to “be playable” yet despise because “wrong faction waaaah waaah”.

Void elves are what you got. Abominations (they are cool subrace in my opinion) who high elves of quelthalas see as traitors and rightfuly so. They are tools of the alliance but its cool since they are strong.

So go to the barber shop in shadowlands, put on your white skin and blue eyes for your void elf and for the love of old gods shut the fel up about your precious (but canonicaly absolutely ridiculous and non sensical) deman for “playable high elves”

And best part is, when you and your couple of snowflake friends get your high elves, everybody will roll them, you stop feeling so special and snowflakey and start to demand some other dumb thing.

Superficial concerns, The universe doesn’t care about races. The game doesn’t care about races. The only ones that truly cares are highly vocal and partisan players that crave validation for their team.

The very same factions that have ended up being detrimental for the growth of the game story. Had it still been an RTS then the Night Elves would never have surrendered themselves to the alliance, nor would any faction like Thralls Horde survive after being sacked twice.

Because ALL people asked for were the very race/faction that had been part of the Alliance since, Vanilla, TBC and Wrath. That was all, nothing else was needed. Everything that came afterwards was attempts to make comprises like hairstyles and tattoos to appease individuals that were straight up hostile towards a very valid request.

Then Blizzard though they were clever and gave us exiled members of Silvermoon… but now purple, rather than the acutall High Elves that had been part of the Alliance since forever.

No one really wins in this situation that Blizzard have made.

The situation blizzard made, because it is their lore, their story.

Blizzard wrote the lore such that the thalassians majority join the horde, and what’s left are described as “nearly extinct”. This doesn’t strike me as something they want continued focus on. Blood elves, yes, they redefined the thalassian lore as is their right, it is their lore after all.

The high elves are left in the alliance because it probably made little sense for blizzard to write they all joined, or that the rest suddenly died. But nonetheless it’s plausible to infer they intended them to remain a quiet background factor that will eventually fade. After all it’s been 15 years and they haven’t budged on making them playable. Blizzard clearly do not want to do that to their narrative. The high elves are a thing of the past, and what’s left are there for immersive reminders, not to torment players or taunt them. Just because they’re their, it doesn’t mean plans have to be made for them.

The issue is the playerbase that supports helf refuses to let the lore play out. They refuse to see them as secondary characters in decline, and will argue till they’re blue in the face that they’re actually important actors in Warcraft as a race, when this simply isn’t true. They pop up every so often as a background thing.

Perhaps blizzard were wrong to think they could keep a few Helf around and people would just let them go, or accept they’re no longer “in the running” due to “their story” now being lived through the belf. They assumed wrong.

At this stage they either need to heavy handedly quash all the helf out of the lore to end the ambiguity on the matter (they become velf or belf) or write in a Deux ex machina that somehow they’re back and that’s that. Due to the existence of belf I support the former of these options because for all intensive purposes, the belf “are” Helf, especially since the restoration of the sunwell, so having the same story played out on two sides just doesn’t seem 1) feasible or 2) honestly, it doesn’t seem interesting.

I imagine however blizz could “kill” all the Helf off and people would still argue there would be a basis for their addition, it’s got that to that point. I mean the hint hasn’t been taken this far after 15 years of not doing it and statements outright saying “we don’t want to put playable high elves on Alliance”. Maybe the hint will be taken if they make them extinct and defer to “well high elves don’t exist anymore so there you go”.

It’s their story. If you don’t like the direction it took, either tolerate it, or find a narrative to your tastes. But trying to consistently riot to get the story to go the way you want it to, because you’ve convinced yourself they’re “taunting you with it” and thus “owe you” or some prior “bad treatment of alliance” entitles the story to be bent to your will is just absolutely nuts.

Just be honest, you don’t like the narrative. Don’t dress it up behind stuff like imagined debts you’re owed. Or the race being In the background of the game being a “taunt” despite stating “we don’t want them to be playable”.

4 Likes

Out of stubbornness, pettiness and ignorance of their own product. Nothing else.

1 Like

Yes ofcourse, bunch of snowflake buddies on the forum know much better then Blizzard lore writters.

Why do you say that?

Blizzard have form for playing with tropes and giving them a pick of new paint. This is completely consistent with their early story writing.

It’s their creation, that gives them licence to be as stubborn as they like. I imagine if you have ever created something similar (a story, a song) where you felt very good about the spin you’d given it, you be resistant to people telling you to change it so it resembles other media readily available. Are you telling me in this situation (assuming you have a specific group telling you this) it would be wrong and your fault for you to feel like you didn’t want to compromise on the creative direction you took it in?

This stance is why people bemoan the modern music and film industry at times. Artists aren’t given liscence to “do what they want” and if it’s popular, great. Everything has to be done with the consumer in mind, and their desires trump your creative onus, despite your work involving creativity. It’s actually really sad. I think people forget that within Blizzard there are people who write this world and create it from nothing and it’s not surprising that they might want to preserve the thing they create and use initiative in their work.

1 Like

Jesus mother of christ have mercy, What crawled up your rear and died? And stop acting like the high elves we’ve seen on the alliance ever since wrath of the lich king. The shield mages, the battle mages in the alliance forces everywhere never existed. There are literally high elves still with the Alliance by cannon, You can be in denial about it all you want but they are there, have always been there. Stop crying to us about it, Blame blizzard for flunting them in our faces to begin with.

And I have by the way never complained that we got the void elves with fair skin? Your quoting me from a previous discussion about what defines a blood elf from a high elf, I already discussed this trough way before you showed up with somebody else, So welcome after. have a drink and read up before you respond.

Since I can’t post links, And since apperently so many of you have never seen the alliance aligned high elves that have been in game that you all seem to deny are high elves. Hit up 7th legion battle mage. And the Fordragon battle mage on google… There you go. Hope they are cannon enough for you

Did originaly list allot more npc’s… But reconsidered it a totall overkill.

1 Like

Yes please, also a bit of lore for gnomes and goblins too. They have been a lot in the darkness and all we had is a bit of action with their leaders.

We need powerful storylines for each race that tells us what they are up to and how are they doing, so that you feel more connected to the race. High elves included. Because there has been such confusing information about how there are very few bloodelves left there would be no reason to add high elves but voidelves were added anyway as a 0.01% of Belf population but they ended up to be playable, so that made no sense.
It got a bit confusing to me as a player. I hope they sort that out.

That was the main reason people was upset and asked to play one of them
They were right there, with a lore, with everything…
Not some obscure legendary Troll tribe from a far off island or the fabled, around a dozen or so still alive, not-hunched pure orcs
They were there as a very, very soild brick in the canon wall…

2 Likes

Just because a race is in game, it does not mean it’s being flaunted. You’re projecting willfully malicious intentions onto blizzard.

It could simply be they’re in game as NPCs but blizzard have no desire (they’ve stated as much enough times) to not have playable Helf. This doesn’t mean they should make no Helf NPCs whatsoever. It just means they don’t want them front and centre of the story.

But it’s easier to believe that blizzard are keeping them in the game to taunt players and bait them, because this justifies the sheer amount of rage people feel over essentially what is authors displaying creative autonomy and people not liking it.

If you describe it as “I don’t like this story and where the characters are, change it because I’m cross” it sounds incredibly petulent.
If you describe it as “blizzard continually bait us with a race and use them as a means to taunt us.” It sounds like you’d be justified in being cross at blizzard for witholding helf.

Point is there is actually no evidence that they’re teasing or baiting anyone, it’s literally projection and wish fulfilment in people’s heads. It is perfectly plausible to maintain to want to have helf as NPCs without making them playable, it’s done for hundreds of other races.
It doesn’t become “baiting” simply because of what players want, and even if it did, that squarely puts the onus for the tricky situation on the players, not blizzard.

3 Likes

Yeah it ‘‘could be’’ that as you say, But I think thats highley unlikely. It just doesn’t seem reasonable that they could honestely expect that to be the case, When they have heard the want for this sub race to be a part of the Alliance since all the way back then. If you where a developer of this game and you wanted to enforce the idea that most high elves had turned to become Blood elves and joined the Horde. And that the Alliance ever playing one should never happend. Why would you keep putting them in the game like they have and kept making it look more and more like that isn’t the actual case instead? Seems very counter productive to the idea you want bring everyone behind. Unless that was never their intent in the first place… Surely you can see where the idea of ‘‘flunting in our faces’’ comes from. Without it being about justifying anything.

My point is, To keep saying that the Blood elves are the high elves, and that the High elves of the Alliance isn’t a thing. While at the same time keep adding and showing Alliance high elves to be a thing is just not something I would do if I wanted the players of my game to actually get behind the idea that Alliance high elf wasn’t a thing.

Edit: If they had never made the Silver covenant, Never shown these Alliance high elves to begin with, There would never of have been a case to make about this at all… There would never have been an arguement to be had about Alliance high elves at all, Everyone would of accepted that the all high elves became the Blood elves, and that would of been the end of it.

2 Likes

No just make highelves playable for alliance, since we already have so much of them ingame.

More elves!

2 Likes

Fundementally I agree with you, it doesn’t make sense as an approach. Perhaps Blizzard were naive and assumed the popularity of the Helf would follow them into the Belf (as they intended, given Belf were added to pump player numbers hordeside amongst other reasons) essentially transferring the fans over, so leaving a few “breadcrumb” NPCS behind would either be ignored or just treated similarly as other races who are “there” but not expected to be turned into a main race.

For whatever reason this isn’t the case and the high elf fans remained a distinct group. A sensible approach at this point would have been that if Blizzard did intend for the “high elves” story to become that of the Blood Elves, to simply write so the High Elves eventually disappear. For reasons unknown they haven’t done this, but I maintain it’s more illogical to assume it’s for malicious purposes as opposed to Blizzard just leaving them around because that’s how they want the narrative to be- they want them to be a background thing.

My points aren’t to point out whether indeed I believe their handling of the situation is ideal, good or terrible. Rather it’s to point out that this situation resurfaces time and time again because fundementally it appears to be one where the creative developers don’t appear to want to take the direction some players want them to, so essentially it’s a butting of heads over disagreement about story development. It becomes a muddy discussion when it is turned into questions of “stuff being owed” or looking at helf present in game as “taunts” or “Blizzard being ignorant of their playerbase” because again as stated in my previous post, that’s putting the onus of a mistake on Blizzard in a situation which could be as simple as “They’re around, but they;re no longer heroic actors in the alliance” which fits what Blizzard have said in the past regarding their stance on the issue. It doesn;'t need to be complicated beyond that. Similar to how Jinyu are in the alliance, but we can’t play them for example.

The high elves situation gets more time in the sun because fundementally a section of the playerbase disagrees/refuses to accept this explanation as “good enough”. The problem with this is it’s attempting to turn what is essentially a creative decision into something that can be explained with reason or logic, and they don’t necessarily apply at all. Hence the brick-wall-meets-head nature of this discussion over time. It boils down to Blizzard don’t want to do it, and no amount of “should do it because x, y or z” will change it, if they don’t want to for some fundemental reason, they won’t, and expecting they eventually will is an exercise in being disappointed, as they haven;t budged in 15 years and making Velf have a model comparable to helf appears to be the closest compromise they’ll offer. There seems to be a line in the sand: “Playable high elves” and Blizzard will not cross it for whatever reason. Debating about the reason is essentially pointless, because it doesn’t change the fact they’ll adhere to it.

I still disagree about the “flaunting” thing. I can understand why some people might, but that doesn’t mean arguents based upon such suddenly become reasonable- because they’re not.

Let’s say I am a baker. I bake doughnuts, croissants, fairy cakes and additionally I do bread sculptures.
WIth regards to all of my creations I create them first and foremost because I enjoy being a baker. I notice that people will pay me monies for my baked goods as well, so I decide to bake more doughnuts, fairy cakes and croissants with the intention of sharing them and selling them, and I litter them all over my bakery.
Customers come in, however some notice I have bread sculptures dotted here and there, animals and people. They ask me if they can buy a human one from me because they’d like it to act as a table centrepiece which their dinner party will then consume. I say no, because I have never concieved my human sculptures as being for sale, only my animal ones. Their purpose is to enhance the environment of my store, nothing more or less. I have shaped some of them as people who are “enjoying” my doughnuts and other products, thus acting as a way to enhance the appearence of the goods I do actually sell.
The customers are insistent “you should sell those”. I maintain I don’t wish to sell the human sculptures because that is not the purpose I had in mind for them. If you want to buy a sculpture you have to buy an animal one.
The customers begin to leave bad reviews on my yelp, stating that I “taunt customers with the promise of baked sculptures that I never intended to sell to them”. I am confused as to why they would do this as I never stated i’d sell them the sculptures in the first place, in fact i’ve stated quite a few times that’s not what they’re for and I won’t do it.
The yelp customers build up an almighty fuss and eventually the situation reaches a head where they’ve built up so much furore the papers are coming to try and assess the situation. They talk with the unsatisfied customers who present it as a simple situation: “Allow us to buy the sculptures or take them out of the shop altogether, it’s false advertising.”

Now there is massive pressure on me to either do something with the sculptures I never wanted to do, or to remove them entirely, which I don’t want to do either. Stemming from the fact some customers did not agree with my stance on my product and then tried to frame the situation as me being obstructive.

This is how I see the situation. And i hope if others can follow it and appreciate the general tones I am putting across, you will agree it is the negative-reviewing yelp customers who are taking the “leap in logic” here by turning something that didn’t need to be negative into something negative because they essentially didn’t like my baking philosophy- and are now putting pressure on my to change my baking philosophy in two possible ways I don’t want to.

1 Like

void elves?

Holy moly! that a nukeclear bomb of a response if I’ve ever seen one! You make a good case and I think i see where your coming from, But to use your bakery example for instance. If you kept making the humans ones, And you kept them in the window for show, You told your costumers they are not for sale just for show, But your costumers kept on coming and coming with anticipation and desire to buy the human ones. Getting increasingly frustrated as you kept repeating your self that they where only for display not for sale. Wouldn’t you either choose a better more suitable place to show off them off, as to not subvert costumer costumer expectation and increasingly frustrate them so to not hurt your buisness? You wouldn’t want to keep putting your costumers expectations down right? I mean your running a store, and your showing wares your never gonna make for sale in your stores display window… It’s not unreasonable that your costumers would walk in, Hoping to buy some of the wares your using as commercial for your store with. And if you weren’t using it for that. Wouldn’t you rather show them off at a baking contest? or exibit instead? Instead of just pissing off your costumers?

I mean if you picked up early on where this was going, You saw where and what this lead your costumers to believe… Why would you keep doing it? to put what’s happend in WoW here into your bakery example. The result is now full on fighting and loud arguements in your store about what you should or should not bake for sale between costumers with different expectations… What on earth could make you possible want this as a store owner? Sure it makes you look popular, But now your costumers love for you is split all over the place and the mood around your bakery is either of love or contempt of expectations.

1 Like