Lore Tidbits #6

genn is so old his hair was already grey during the third war

I fixed your fix.

To be fair, I too just want the Stormwindian hegemony to end.

Also, Turalyon on the Lion’s throne makes no sense, he appointed Greymane as his succesor in case something happened to him, Greymane agreed, something happened to him and suddenly Greymane’s like “Nah, fam, I don’t wanna do Kingly stuff even if I am a King, let the Light zealot take the throne even if I agreed to be the regent for Anduin if he dissappears/dies/whatever”

And yet he’s still described as being in amazing shape as recently as BfA.

Takes notes people: Curse your grandparents. They will thank you later.

1 Like

Yep. Turalyon’s head of the military.

So why’s he sitting on the throne? I mean, it fits him and all ( and Turalyon as high king would be better than Anduin ngl! Venerated war hero, known all over the eastern kingdoms vs a 19 year old boy who’s sole trait is “Let’s give peace a try!” after every Horde atrocity ) but still.

God why are all the main cast so bloody motionless.

1 Like

Tbh, a monarch can’t really name a successor (at least IRL). If they die without one, a new one’d be chosen by some council (here the Nobles). I can imagine Anduin actually stepped out of line in that instance.
It also makes sense not to want someone who already is a king to be the king of your nation. Out of fear that they simply merge the two kingdoms, cultural differences etc.

Except its been proven since forever that the House of Nobles(the Council that could choose a successor) are nothing but glorified butlers for the House of Wrynn. I’d doubt they’d have any say in the line of succession if any Wrynn decides who should replace them when push comes to shove.

1 Like

Honestly what Mordi says,

Stormwind seems like an absolute monarchy, so if Anduin decided to make Genn his succesor then thats it.

Heck, Shaw and such even assumed he’d be the King (or regent), but apparently not :man_shrugging:

Consistency and such, ya know. Dont wanna tie the hands of the creators.

But Shadowlands proves you wrong on that. Anduin’s request/wish was put aside. It makes sense.

But was it put aside by the regent or by the House of Nobles? Because thats a big difference.

If Greymane decided Turalyon should take his place(akin to how Anduin decided Genn should be his regent): it still puts the King and their Regent of choice in a very favorable/powerfull position compared to the House of Nobles.

If it was the House of Nobles; why would Anduin even bother with electing a regent when the Nobles can replace it with whoever they like when they want to? :thinking:

1 Like

Well it’s implied that the only reason Turalyon -is- Regent, is because the House of Nobles supports him. Genn mentions it when Shaw asks him about it.

So I assume Anduin forgot/misjudged the rules that were in place. The fact that he’d appoint a foreign king as his heir already screams a lack of good judgement, I’d say.

Edit: and I suppose the king can still put forward a candidate. Then the ones who’d choose a new king could go with it or not.

That’s my expectation. Unite the houses, make a single monarchy and either claim Gilneas or forget about it.

I’m fairly sure Genn was 80ish in Cata. Presumably his worgen boost keeps him from sundowning or maybe his perpetual blaming of Sylvanas is just that and he’s just accidentally right because she’s awful?

The worgen form essentially makes him young again when he’s using it. And for an 80 year old he’s fit AF to pack all that muscle mass and a full head of hair.

It’s funny though. The Alliance has the largest swath of near-immortal leaders in the setting and yet none of them do a bloody thing. Yes I’m including Genn in that because of the worgen form. We simply don’t know if a worgen can die of old age or not given their connection to the Emerald Dream.

I’ve recently begun re-reading/listening to some of the Warcraft novels, and came across an interesting tidbit in the Illidan novel.

It seems that when a person projects themselves in spirit form, leaving their meditative body behind, they are emotionally numbed. Not that a person cannot feel emotions at all, but it’s a muted experienced compared to when in physical form.

2 Likes

Genn was said to be in his 70s during what would be TBC in the RPG lore. Personally I’ve always put him down to being in his 60s during Cata, so somewhere in his early to mid 50s during the intro. It’s the sweet spot of him not being too old, nor too young.

Also, not relevant in any way. But this led me down the RPG rabbit hole and dwarves have pointed ears in it.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wowpedia/images/0/08/Honagger_Bradwarden.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080104072923

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/wowpedia/images/5/56/Rogthur.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080104075240

The RPG had a few cool snippets, but by god was it by an large trash; what wasn’t just DnD with a cruddy paint job was just ??? at times. Like the fact ALL Grimtotem had to commit murder.

3 Likes

I mean… that’s literally what Warcraft is.

In the past, but I don’t know what the heck it is these days.

and a lore tidbit i remembered

The Flying Tiger Gourami which is a rare mutant of the normal Tiger Gourami, which is found in the rivers of Pandaria has a local tradition attached to its consumption.

“Local legend states that good luck comes to the person who eats it, and local tradition states that only royalty can eat them. To be caught breaking this “tradition” is a death sentence.”

The implication is either this was a rule set by the Mogu and for one reason or another it stuck around OR the pandaran actually have death sentence as a viable punishment for some crimes.

By extension, local tradition dictates only royalty may have good luck, as if they weren’t already lucky enough, being royalty.

Presumably, the fish must be kept out of peasant hands to prevent usurpers from bumbling their way to the throne.

1 Like

Make note that it is illegal to be “caught” breaking the tradition
eating the fish itself is not a crime supposedly.