Main problem with TBC pvp

The main problem with TBC is how arena is the only meaningful form of PvP, completely removed from the rest of the game and so small-scale that it’s little more than an advanced form of dueling. It may be fun and skill-intensive, but it erased 95% of the game’s PvP aspect, turning it into a separate minigame that has no bearing on anything else. There’s just something missing in TBC. You raid and you do arena, and that’s literally it.

8 Likes

What ?
I raid, bg, arena, daily, farm BoJ and rep.
I m not able to see problem you are describing :confused:
What would you suggest ? What do you miss in PvP ( TBC ) ?

3 Likes

yeah thats what ive been saying about tbc. it has potential for sure. but its just something about tbc that makes u bored its really hard to Point it out but u could just say it has Everything but its missing “IT”

3 Likes

Atleast we get a rating system. The current pvp system has nothing to do with skill.

As a PvPer classic is very frustrating. Everything is scripted and warlocks beat everything.

3 Likes

after awhile in tbc arena u get bored. cause u basicly lose to same comps while u win vs the same comps its no rotation in team vs team comps

4 Likes

there are many problems with TBC pvp.

what you described is definitely not one of those.

Even on TBC private servers, there were random BGs up 24/7

2 Likes

World PvP will increase in TBC. Even with the flying mount.

Only 6 areas & a lot of point of interest : daily quests, drake farm, elemental plateau.
You can’t quest/farm on your flying mount, at some point the WPvP is unavoidable.

I’m 100% sure that during TBC a lot of players will transfer to a PvE server because of the WPvP.

1 Like

not to mention quel’danas

1 Like

horde will dominate all farm spots. which will suck abit cause then it will be a tagg war for mobbs

You are right.
Then, this forum will be filled with Q.Q thread and TBC will have a permanent layering

1 Like

when are official blizzard forums not filled with QQ?

5 Likes

will we see primal air/fire maffia farming in shadowmoon valley xD ? could be fun tbh

For me, the best thing in classic is that raid items are very very useful in pvp. But in TBC, u have to do arenas to get best pvp items. If i’m wrong please warn me, but as i know you dont need any raid items for PVP, because those items dont have resilience. The raiting system is very good but, there can be a rating for random bgs too, because i hate arenas. As someone mentioned before, after a time u will win against same comps, will lose against another same comps.

In classic i like to do raids but my main purpose is getting items for pvp. But, i think i won’t do any raid in TBC.

As a result, fully seperating pvp and pve, and making arenas main pvp thing is wrong for me

6 Likes

Welcome back Torima - you haven’t yet given up on your anti-TBC crusade? What happened to your shammy? :joy:

As usual with your posts, this is false in many ways.

First of all, you still need to do Battlegrounds, even in TBC. Very few classes can get away with using PvE gear in place of their off-set PvP items (mostly burst DPSers like Rogues, and certainly NOT healers).

Second, is it really that different from PvP in Vanilla? As it is, “highest-level” PvP in Classic basically means making a premade and curbstomp PuGs in BGs all day long. As you yourself admitted, Arena is much more fun and skill-intensive than insta-cap AB bases/WSG flags and GY-farm randoms for 8+ hours a day every week.

Also,

What do you exactly do in Vanilla, besides Raiding and/or ranking in BGs? What do you miss in TBC that you somehow get in Vanilla? Is this going to turn into another WPvP tirade?

That being said, if you don’t like it, don’t play it. I don’t see why you’re trying so hard to convince people that they think they do, but they don’t. More people than you tried even harder to do so with Classic. It didn’t work. You can’t stop people from liking what they like. Why don’t you just let it go?

1 Like

the reason im going to play tbc is cause last time i played tbc i had warlock main, and it was a clown fiesta dotting down healers with resiliance gear that gives lower dot damage… im going try mage. that could be what will make tbc fun.

Don’t you think that skill is key? Imo it separate’s the men from the boys.

I.e i get wreaked when more then two (of the same faction jump me). Skill shows in a 1v1/1v2 setting.

This is really the issue, min/maxer’s will have a have a hard time adjusting to this. All ppl atm think about is just putting in the hrs, but not getting better at their spec.

taking statistic from tbc 2007 doesnt mean much tho… was alot of bad teams u could reach 2k rating by just having luck and face noobs tbh, myself playing on a private server vs really skilled players and only a few team Active u notice the difference between comps

but true going from 2k-to 2400 is what seperates men from boys tho altough comp will play a large role even there

Agree, I actually think it will b more competitive this time round. But thats just my thought’s on the topic.

true if shadowlands fails tbc might be massive hype. The arena scene could be something cool indeed… there will still be some honor farming in bg’s for the blue set Quick aswell.

Just fyi, they used the Elo rating system with team-based units in Burning Crusade. This meant that every team started on 1500 rating, and the matchmaking rating was the current rating.

When WotLK came, they separated the matchmaking rating from the current rating, and made everybody start on 0 rating instead.

What these two systems does very differently, is that the Elo rating system moves much slower. You lose rating slower, and you win rating slower. Which means 2k, despite starting from 1500, required more then than it did in WotLK. Because they started using volatility to change the MMR.

An example of this is that in TBC, you’d still keep meeting teams near your current rating (as long as there were teams near your rating that’s free to face) despite having a winning streak going. And as you should know by now, the difference of rating between your opponents and yourself determines the rating gained when you win/rating lost when you lose.

But in WotLK with a volatility factor added in, they made it so the MMR would increase exponentially with winning streaks, and drop faster as well when suffering a losing streak.

So the points gained has always gone faster in this separated MMR system than it ever did in burning crusade, for the better performing players.

2.4k back then was very, very different from 2.4k today.

(Separated MMR with inherent volatility is based on the Glicko RD rating system, which is not the Elo rating system.)

PS:
Because of the way the Elo rating system worked, and the lack of players on the top of the ladder, it meant that the players close or at the top were more often facing players with much lower rating. Which meant less rating won, and if you lost vs. a much lower rated team then you’d lose a lot of rating. Winning +1-2 rating and losing 12-18 rating when losing in such matchups made pushing very hard past a certain point, which depended on ladder size. (And there were different battlegroups back then, instead of one gigantic battlegroup like we have now. So some battlegroups peaked higher than others in rating for each ladder.)

1 Like