Mouse Turning into 4 Way Arrow on hold click to turn camera

I started playing again after a short break and now I am getting issues with my mouse turns to a 4 way arrow when I right or left click/hold to turn the camera around.
It is really annoying and the only way to get it to reset is to close the game down. /Realod does nothing and logging in and out does nothing with the issue.

I have testet the mouse in different games or programs with no issue. It is only in Wow this happens.

I have tried to reset my UI and updating drivers.

I read on a US post that others are having the same issue after the latest update.
Unsure if that has anything to do with it?

Anyone else have this issue? Or know how to fix it?

Yes I started having this exact same issue within the last couple days too! It makes it very very frustrating to play the game. It happens for me on Retail where I have a multitude of addons but it also happens on the PTR client where I use very few addons.

The only way to very temporarily fix it is to completely exit the game and restart the game. But it can happen again so easily when you use your mouse to turn your character.

It would be good to consolidate all the reports. As you said there’s a thread on the US forums with the same reports: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mouse-turning-into-4-way-arrow-on-right-click/1541149

And here on the EU forums there’s a thread about this issue having started in the Wrath Classic client too: Mouse (left and right) movement behaviour (Wotlk Classic)

On Reddit someone suggested to try the scan and repair option. I don’t know if that’ll help (running the repair as I type this) but it’s worth trying.

Edit: within 5 minutes of playing after running scan and repair the issue occurred again. It did diddly squat to resolve the issue

1 Like

Thanks for updating with some links to the other posts :slight_smile: I really hope Blizzard gets around to look at this issue. Makes me just log out and not play because it is so disruptive :S

So.

When you hold down your mouse button to turn, rather than the mouse pointer hiding and turning your character : some icon is displayed at the mouse position and this pointer remains on screen while you turn?

Is this what is happening? If so, there is an in game CVar that causes this.

Re-installing the game won’t change anything but I’m not sure why this ‘feature’ is getting triggered in these reports as this cursor state is not saved on re-entry.

Triggered by a key-bind perhaps. Or maybe trackpad/joypad/cursor leaving monitor detection triggers it.

Someone posted a video on Reddit with this behavior that has started occurring https://www.reddit.com/r/wotlk/comments/1106b0e/mouse_cursor_changes_to_crossed_arrow_cursor_and/

i have the same issue since the last maintenance

I have same issue, all my drivers are updated, it only happens in WoW. According to US dev response its not majority player problem so it wont be fixed, feels like they say “It’s a you problem”

I have the same issue, the only way to fix it for me is restarting the game. it’s def blizz issue, I disabled everything and played for a while and randomly got it again.

I submitted a ticket explaining the problem, playing 2 hours so far at the time I’m writing this post, the problem did not occurred yet.

I got a popup window when I logged in today I can’t post links but this is what is written words by words
"World of Warcraft Gaming mouse could not be found. Re-enable the option in interface Options when you have one connected"
I clicked Okay
I don’t know what the developer/GM did but that somewhat workaround my issue. If this is widely known how to reproduce by users themselves, I hope this helps to spread to other regional forums for awareness.
EDIT : The bug is back

Same issue here on retail as of today’s patch (10.0.7).
Happens with or without addons loaded, also happened after deleting Interface, cache and WTF folder. Happens with all external applications closed. I have not testet if it happens in windowed mode (non-fullscreen).
Only closing the game and starting again fixes it so far, which makes any time sensitive content unrealistic to participate in (any given encounter, mythic plus, pvp) until this is further resolved.

Potentially related issue I also experience as of today: moving cursor to the far edge of the screen and right clicking to pan the camera further in the direction of the given edge does not let the camera pan said direction until briefly panning the camera in the opposite direction first. I’ve bug reported this issue. In regular gameplay this is experience as a sudden block on panning the camera the desired direction.

Hope to see some traction on this soon, as it’s otherwise impactful enough for me to have to leave the game until it’s resolved.

I am also having this issue for a few weeks. It seems to happen randomly. I have tried using both my Logitech G502 Hero and also my Corsair M55, but the issue happens with both, so its unlikely to be a mouse setting problem.

Like others, it only fixes with a complete game reset, and then can last from a few minutes to an hour or so before it happens again.

Once it happens, the game becomes mostly unplayable with dragon flying etc.

I have the same issue. I have two mice - Logitech MX Master 3 and Corsair Scimitar.

With Logitech MX Master 3 it does not happen whatever I do. When I hold the right mouse button and start moving the mouse right it goes on endlessly.

With Corsair Scimitar I can reproduce it 100%:

1. Hold down the right mouse button.
  2. Start moving the mouse right.
  3. After a while the camera stops rotating.
  4. Release right mouse button.
  5. Hold down the right mouse button again.
  6. Start moving the mouse right.
  7. When the “end” is reached again the cursor appears as 4-way arrow.
  8. When you hold down the mouse buttons the 4-way arrow cursor appears every time until the application is restarted.

It happens with left mouse button too.

It happens with Corsair Scimitar when I disconnect my Logitech MX Master 3.
It never happens with Logitech MX Master 3 (or I didn’t had the patience of endlessly moving the mouse right).

P.S. After some testing steps 4-6 were not even needed for 7 to happen.

PPS. After some more testing like said in the US post about the issue I managed to cause the bug with the Logitech mouse too. I had to move it like 1-2 meters very fast. Corsair mouse has very high DPI so I guess the total movement required is much lower for the bug to appear.

PPPS. I’m using latest Windows 11 and Nvidia drivers. All overlays disabled.

PPPPS. I have 4k monitor, that may be contributing to the raw mouse units needed to get to the number needed for the bug to happen. I see a lot of people writing in US forum too and still no response.

It seems a lot of people are getting the same issue on the US forums: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mouse-turning-into-4-way-arrow-on-right-click/1541149/96

Thanks for the headsup, I’ll keep an eye on this. Hopefully it’s gonna get fixed soon.

I have the same issue. It happens randomly and I quit for the day if it happens, can’t turn properly. So dungeons and dragonflying are impossible.

This started happening to me as well this morning. I don’t even wanna play WoW right now its extremely annoying. This isn’t an addon or mouse software issue its a wow issue

i got a mouse problem to, today it started when i start a figh i cant turn my character with my right mouse button so im stuck looking 1 way. its possible to turn after a few try’s. but the problem is over when im out of combat

i got this issue too since 3 weeks and it’s frustrating. there are at least 2 posts about this issue on wow forum (both EU and US) and one on reddit. this is gamebreaking and even if i know that tecnical support guys tried to do something about it , i would like to know if you managed to reach something new while looking for a fix, because players pay for the game and the tecnical support. i think we all , saddly, know that working for blizz is bad, messy and for some even degradating, so i’m not here saying what i say in a bad manner, but still, i demand tecnical support guy to tell about this bug to higer ranks of whatever is the boss in there that has the responsability of thaking care of this bug because again , it is gamebreaking, it doesn’t seem to be users fault, and it’s has been going on for months now. and also i demand to be updated about whatever news you tecnical support guys can tell us about. that sayd i apologize if i could sound rough but this bug and the percentage of care this story had is infuriating, frustrating and ridiculus. thx, i w8 for an answer.

5 hours ago i deleted the whole WTF map inside the retail map and it seems everything is back to normal.
tested it for 2 hours and its still working.

i tried what u did, but after a while the bug happened again
 and still tecnical support is not even responding, can we know if u’re working on a solution please? 1 day and still no answer