Name flagged for rename?

I also didn’t mention any prophet. Can you even read, or do you just not bother?

Blizzard’s game; Blizzard’s rules. No exceptions. If they’ve told you to change your name on their servers, you have no recourse whatsoever.

1 Like

It brings religion into the game and that is generally frowned upon.

I thought halal was more to do with preparation of food, mainly meat and meant something more like allowed than death.

I remember recently someone complained about having a rename due to being called Gód, if someone called the character Állah then people would complain.

The problem with it is twofold: It’s ritualistic slaughter, and it’s religious in nature. Both are subjects that can elicit an extreme emotional response from a great many people, therefore it’s pretty unsuitable for a fantasy game. Evidently, Blizzard agrees. The end.

This thread is flame bait, just as I suspect the name itself was intended to be.

2 Likes

You’re on really dodgy ground when you start advocating banning names for mere connotations. Halal covers a vast range of things. It just means ‘permissible’. There’s absolutely nothing offensive about it.

I actually linked this thread to my Muslim friend and he thought it was hilarious that anyone could be so petty.

Let’s not forget that this is a game that literally uses Christian terminology and symbology as a tool of combat.

How many times have you seen people demonstrate ‘an extreme emotional response’ while healing a raid with Holy Light. I mean we REALLY better not bring back TBC because that would mean Crusader Strike for Paladins and by your logic that could be a really bad idea…

I thought WoW was the one refuge left from this overly sensitive, snowflake culture but I guess I was wrong :rofl:

1 Like

I’m advocating nothing whatsoever. I’m merely stating Blizzard’s stance on the matter, and why the action was taken. Don’t put words into people’s mouths, please.

And I thought people on a forum would at least be able to read. Guess we were both wrong. :wink:

1 Like

Sounds very much like you are when you’re stating that it’s a problem.

Yeah, that didn’t age well did it?

I couldn’t give a damn what you perceive it as; I’ve just told you its intention.

1 Like

Ah so you define what the intentions of other people are?

Even if the OP set out to offend, for whatever bizarre reason, the fact of the matter is that the word is not offensive in any capacity, it’s as simple as that.

Then why was it changed? :joy:

Cya, pal. :wave:

1 Like

You were saying? In the very same post too. Gold.

1 Like

Because, regrettably, the world bends to wishes of the hyper sensitive, SJW culture which I’m sure you’re all too familiar with.

Word of advice, stay on your Rogue. Playing a Paladin or Priest might give you an aneurysm with their Christianity connotations.

1 Like

Intentions aren’t definitions sweetheart. Keep digging though, it’s amusing.

No, I’m sure you’re not.

Save it.

Bye.

1 Like

Just rename yourself to “Haram“

Something about ToS and religion in names

I’ll give you 1000g if you point where I’ve said it’s definitely offensive and not a religious reference. I’ll personally create a character in your realm and vendor kobold candles to pay up.

Well obviously you need to rename yourself to Haram instead.
But then your name would be too close to mine, hmmm… :smiley:

Is Halal haram?

1 Like

There’s quite the difference between using a word as it is intended and using it for the name of a game character.

Halal has very specific religious and cultural connotations so someone could view using the word for a game character name as a form of mockery.

Games are for entertainment, and I can see how someone could be offended if a central part of their history and culture is viewed as little other than a way for someone else to enhance their entertainment.

I don’t think anyone should go crazy over halal being used in this way, but at the same time I think anyone who finds it off-putting is perfectly within their right to feel that way.

And no I’m not muslim. I don’t even practice any religion.