Name flagged for rename?

Names with religious meanings are not allowed. Look at the naming policy, it is nothing to do with any group being offended.

Our Naming Policy rules apply to all player-made names in-game, including characters, guilds, and pets. If your character has a name that does not violate our naming policies, but you would still like to change it, see our Name Change service. For information on RP Naming, please see the Role Play Naming Policy article.

Character Naming Rules

• The character name must be between 2-12 characters long.
  • Accented characters are supported.
  • Numbers and symbols are not supported.
  • Mixed capitals and spaces are not supported.

Guild Naming Rules

• The name must be between 2-24 characters long.
  • Accented characters are supported.
  • Numbers and symbols are not supported.
  • Mixed capitals and spaces are supported.

Communication

When participating in communication of any kind (chat, voice communication, group finder), you are responsible for how you express yourself. You may not use language that could be offensive or vulgar to others.

Hate speech and discriminatory language is inappropriate, as is any obscene or disruptive language. Threatening or harassing another player is always unacceptable, regardless of language used. Violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.

Naming

Names are subject to the same rules established above. Any name the player has the ability to customize—such as player names, BattleTags, and guild names—must be appropriate and inoffensive. Any name that violates our standards or disrupts the community will be changed, and additional limitations may be placed on the offending account per our discretion.

Take note that acceptable names are determined by player reports and Blizzard’s decision, and role-playing servers may have distinct standards for using game-appropriate names.

No mention of religion there.

I have no idea,

However it is one of the three main subjects that should never be discussed, Religion, Politics and Race.

To me people are people, doesn’t matter where they come from or what their political and religious beliefs are, some people are bad , some are good, and there are a number of people in between, I am 60 now, my parents brought me up to treat everyone with the same respect as I would expect in return, it took me a while to figure out what that actually meant but I think I got a handle on it now :slight_smile:

In this day and age the smallest things offend people. Sad really.

Me either, i don’t care what the difference is between me and another people (religion, skin colour etc.) i just want everybody to behave.

Unfortunately it still happens, I try to be tolerant of everyone until they start to attack me personally, then I have to take a step back and think about things.

edit … Perhaps that is why I have always played PVE since 2006/7 :thinking:

Even in PvE you would see trashtalk, try to join LFR and you will see.

Well that is trash talk, I just ignore it, on the other hand, if I get a free buff off someone I always thank them and in most cases I get a yw in response that is the WoW I remember

So arabic words are offensive now ?
Racist Blizzard.

Hmm, I just tried creating a tauren hunter char called Kosher and got a warning “That name contains mature language” hmm again, changed it to KosherCL and got the same warning I then changed it to Cosher which to my mind is far worse but is apt for a hunter and now I have a new char called Cosher, well, I’m confused.

I don’t understand either, maybe Blizzard are trying to be Politically Correct.

I tried to create a warlock name Xarfax (after the hero in Heroes of Might and Magic III) and I got that warning aswell. Anybody know what Xarfax may mean? I sure don’t.

You got me on that one @Riotblade just tried a few variations on the name looking at dictionaries and can’t see anything offensive there, maybe it is bad in another language

Well, I didn’t mention Muslims at all, so no. Try naming your character “Jesus” and it’ll click, don’t worry… :roll_eyes:

Then why are some curse/bad words of other languages blocked or flagged for change? They don’t mean anything offensive or anything at all in English, so they should be allowed. Their definitions in other languages shouldn’t matter, since it doesn’t with Halal.

edit: @all
And there’s nothing offensive in Halal, in its English, Arabic or OPs language (Hungarian?) definitions. As far as I know, that’s for example how fish is killed and prepared about everywhere (minus the prayers)…

How does permissible meat equate to naming a religious prophet ?

A muslim being offended??? Never in the world…

Religious references come under disruptive language simply because someone will always take exception either because it is part of their religion or a religion they oppose.

Feel free to rename the character the same and see what happens. Just don’t come whining here about it when it does after being told why.

Remember YOU (and I for that matter) do not decide what names are offensive.

I have been there with two characters in vanilla: Pinatubo and Ruapehu. Both are volcanoes however Pina is apparently offensive in some languages and someone reported Ruapehu thinking it was a variation of “forced sex act on you”. It was only after a conversation with a GM back when they would appear to you where I explained the source of the names was I allowed to keep them.

Good luck explaining your meaning of the word. Which language do you refer to where Halal means “death” ?

Hungarian.

I had a friend who had a tauren paladin called Moohammed. He got forced to name change because it offended a Muslim player… I bet you if you named your char kosher it wouldn’t get flagged.