NFT gaming WoW

Only really remembered DOTA2 monetisation , and that was fair, as you did not need to spend cash to play, but could buy neat cosmetics to support the game (and also the creators). TF2 hats came with ingame power, so that is bad. But I was never too much into TF2, so I forgot. I own a couple of Apple earbuds for having owned the Mac version of TF2 which people were messaging me like crazy to trade, but that’s as far as my experience with that does :wink:

And the cards is something I just ignored. I sold a couple of them for 0,05 - 0,10 € I think, but stopped caring 5 minutes after the novelty wore off.

Yeah, maybe I was seeing Valve through too rose coloured glasses here. They just don’t come off nearly as scummy as their competition…

Just let them make WTC, Wow Token coin. It would moon like crazy.

1 Like

How would adding some " currency " to the game make it better? be it a scam or a legit " next big thing ".

What would make the game better is actually creating a better game.

More solid class design, interesting world, better transmog, better lore etc etc.

This line of thinking is exactly what made WoW fall from grace, ( Turning the game into an E-sport )

It’s like when some person gets famous for having a certain quirk, and once they get famous they abandon this " quirk " because its edgy/not cool anymore and then they just fall off while wondering how.

So no, let’s no longer incorporate irl BS into the game and keep it the MMORPG World of Warcraft, and focus on that, not E-sports, Not NFT nor Crypto WoW.

2 Likes

That’s effort, and costs more money.

And yet it’d bring them even more money, as not nearly as many people would quit.

True, but one would yield money without effort.

It won’t. It makes it easier for publishers to obfuscate the real cost of items and services, which makes people less wary of spending money. One example is Blizzard’s own Heroes of the Storm MOBA, which I used to play before they implemented this type of “hidden” monetisation in HotS 2.0.

Before the change, you would either save up in ingame currency that would be earned by playing the game (Gold), or just buy heroes/skins with RL money. I actually bought a couple of items that I wanted and didn’t have the gold for and it was a rather straightforward experience.
Then HotS 2.0 came, and they implemented another currency that you needed to buy with money, and another currency that you would get by disassembling duplicate items from lootboxes (I think, it’s been some time).
The thing that made me switch away was the way in which the RL money currency was sold and spent. Gems are being sold in following pack sizes:

• 260 Gems: 2,49 €
  • 565 Gems: 4,99 €
  • 1.170 Gems: 9,99 €
  • 2.410 Gems: 19,99 €
  • 4.255 Gems: 34,99 €
  • 6.140 Gems: 49,99 €
  • 12.400 Gems: 99,99 €

A “Legendary” Hero will set you back 750 Gems, which means that you need to buy the next increment from 4,99 € to unlock the hero. So you have to buy the 9,99 € option. The remaining Gems will only buy an “Epic” skin, a “Legendary” skin will cost 600. The way Gems are handled is borderline predatory.
This is not even addressing some skins which were only available through bundles, which would often require you to buy the 34,99 or 49,99 € Gem packs.

I am not in favour of special currencies. Just be honest and tell me the price of your items and services up front. But ingame currencies only ever serve the purpose of hiding the real cost from customers.

It is not “currency”. 90% here are clueless on NTF’s.

Hopefully: Never.

3 Likes

Non fungible token with extremely subjective and volatile pricing and close to 0 irl actual value.

If you plan to live in metaverse or smth similar it is a property, sure. But atm imho its just another inflation sink, which takes extra cash from young ppl hands.

If wow becomes full in virtual world it can be smth, same as with meta.

Pretty much this.

Gaming is supposed be a leisure low effort activity for fun.
It’s already bad enough when with its needless daily chores, FOMO mechanics and toxic RNG.

Here is a clear eyed view on it. Sorry for the mean word in the story, google recommended it to me.

This is wrong, if I buy an nft of the mona lisa I don’t own it. Imagine me selling you a queue space next to a lamborghini, you don’t own that lamborghini you only have that queue position next to the lamborghini, that’s an nft. That’s how useless and scammy nfts are, it’s literally nothing.

Are you on crack?

1 Like

Another one of those Mindless people who is just as stupid as gaming CEO’s that keep thinking.

‘‘Hmmm, this new trend is making tons of money, even if a majority despise it. **** the majority, this trend should be in everything. Including games like WoW!’’

This thread needs to be rot to the sand faster than the Sun dosen’t shine!

Haha NFT, butters!

From what I can gather, and please correct me if I’m wrong, there is no value in an NFT other than the price that someone will pay to buy it from you. So far I’ve not been able to see any use for an NFT other than that. I recently read about some people that grouped together to spend £2.2 million on an NFT for a rare book, thinking that they were buying the copyright for the Dune franchise.

Spice DAO paid 100 times the estimate at auction for an original copy of Alejandro Jodorowsky’s failed screenplay from 1974.

They thought that the NFT would enable them to do something, but it did not. So that’s where the problem with NFTs is to be found.

What can you do with an NFT?

What uses in blizzard games are you thinking of? Owning specific items or skins and being able to sell them to other people? But why use NFT? Wouldn’t it be more straightforward to use a blizzard owned token, like wow tokens or something new?

Lol that’s classic

The idea with NFT’s in gaming is interoperability, meaning the ability to take your gaming NFT’s with you to your next gaming adventure. Whether that be Ghost Recon, WoW or even Super Mario. Which i think is an idea that excites many. Imagine if you could use your transmogs or mounts from WoW in FF14, or vice versa. Or earning a gun skin in CoD and using it in CS:GO. Doesn’t sound so bad in a vaccum, does it?

However, as many developers have pointed out. This would be a logistical nightmare beyond compare and thus is nothing but a pipe dream. In order for NFT’s to work like that the entire industry needs to unify and standardize behind a single game engine as well as art style. Which would seriously hamper creativity among many other things.

NFT seems to be nothing more than a component, a means of recording some information about something, which in the case of NFTs, is ownership of a digital asset of some kind. That’s it. There are no rights attached to ownership. For ownership to be used for anything, a company has to set up a framework where it can be used in some way and they must enforce that usage, for lots of companies to do that would be more trouble than it’s worth, so the most you could hope for is a single company to enforce it’s own mechanisms for ownership and enforcement, in which case why use NFTs, they can just use their own proprietary mechanisms and avoid the disadvantages.