[Night Elf/Worgen-RP] A New Moon

DISCLAIMER: This event is NOT going to be well-suited for EVERYONE. Please read the ENTIRETY of the thread to decide if this event is really for you.

At first, there were whispers. A sentinel or two partaking in quiet, cautious conversation for a minute or three before their next patrol. Druids gathering in small groups, using hushed and curious turns of phrase. Occasionally, owls were sent around Ashenvale, unexplained, rumoured to carry letters loaded with ancient rites and old traditions.

Now, there comes a buzz. Interest and intrigue build as word spreads amongst more traditional kaldorei residing at the frontline. Groups of like-minded warriors and priestesses discuss amongst themselves a need for dire, violent measures. Soon, a new moon will fall across Ashenvale, and with it, those who have heard the call will gather to partake in history – for their people. For vengeance.

What, Where and Why

Date: 16th of August
Time: 8.30 PM Server time
Organisers: Paraselene / Nalyth, Mythundis, Aeneon
Argent Archives: https://www.argentarchives.org/node/229355

This community event aims to depict the more violent and savage parts of Night Elf religion within the context of the current faction war, delivering an interactive ceremony for all those willing to attend. Co-hosted by the Hand of Cenarius and the Adherents of Altruis (with Priestess Ylvessine as their spiritual leader and the main host of the ritual), it is our hope that this event will help bring more activity to Ashenvale and the Night Elf community as a whole!

The themes present in this event will be generally grim and of a darker note, involving the sacrifice of enemies to Elune – in this case, Horde soldiers. Details of the ritual are provided further below. While we will strictly avoid detailed emotes containing gore or graphic content, if you are generally uncomfortable with these themes, we recommend you do not attend.

The ritual itself will be heavily based on and influenced by the ancient ritual depicted in the Sargeron quests and the Night Warrior ritual Tyrande conducts (e.g. the head of an orc is thrown into the moonwell).

From an in-character perspective, several motivations for conducting this ritual can be found:

• Intimidation of the enemy
  • Raising morale
  • A blessing for the attendants and therefore the support of the war effort
  • War makes a return to ancient rituals more of a necessity

The ceremony will be within the Howling Vale, also known as the Shrine of Mel’Thandris, constructed in the past in honor of Elune. We feel this mysterious location serves the ritual’s purposes perfectly; it is hidden away from prying eyes and is easily guarded. Demon Hunters within the Adherents of Altruis will play a protector role, watching from the hills above to prevent disruption to the ritual.

The Ritual

The ritual itself will be performed upon a new moon, associated with cleansing and goal-orientating. As the start of a new lunar cycle, new moons represent new beginnings; this will be no different in our ritual, where participants will refocus themselves and start their efforts against the Horde anew, with greater vigour and renewed morale.

After an initial speech, a great bonfire will be lit using Elune’s blessed rays. The ritual will follow thusly, where Horde soldiers will be brought to the priestess as offerings to Elune. These soldiers will be unconscious. Those presenting ‘offerings’ will be given an opportunity to speak on the war effort, their thoughts on the Horde, their struggles, fears, and hopes. When finished, the priestess will help guide a knife along the throat of the ‘offering’, killing them cleanly while the Horde soldier in question is unaware of their situation. The body will be thrown onto the fire, and a section of joined chanting will be repeated by the priestess and the crowd before the next sacrifice is conducted.

After enough offerings are presented, a blessing will be granted upon the ritual’s participants. This blessing will include a stamina/health buff (which participants can take as additional endurance and/or strength), and a holy empowerment behind attacks, meaning that attacks made by those blessed will be followed by smiting moonlight, be it behind an arrow or behind a sword swing. Over time, this blessing will increase in power, until reaching the next full moon (the end of August). After August, the blessing will dissipate and leave.

It is important to note that there will be no graphic descriptions of burning or death; all emotes will be vague, short, and simplistic. This is not an event that is meant to be gory, although it is meant to be grim. Such portrayals of violence, we feel, are suited to the direction Blizzard has been taking in Battle for Azeroth’s narrative; villager NPCs are seen pinned to walls in Brennadam, often with a child weeping over their bodies, and bloody arms were seen outstretched towards burning Teldrassil.

With that said, we do expect to use nondescript, non-emoting Horde NPCs; a few in-game character alts to simply depict a growing number of offerings without detail or elaboration. We feel this would be more immersive without crossing the line that Blizzard has set for us. Nonetheless, we understand that this may not be well-suited for everybody.

Sacrifices themselves will be registered and need to be signed up. This can be done by leaving a post on the forum thread/prodding one of the organizers in private, be it on Discord or in-game.

We hope that you consider these details closely before deciding to attend. If there are any questions, you can contact one of the organisers (Nalyth/Paraselene, Aeneon or Mythundis) or make a post here on this thread!

38 Likes

This is certainly interesting!

4 Likes

Quite intresting indeed might have to pass the word to the Matriarch

6 Likes

A really cool initiative, guys. Night elves do need a return to their savage roots, and this type of event is, I feel, a nice contrast to the peace-loving direction the main plot is taking in BfA.

While Baine and Saurfang may seem contrite and eager to betray the Banshee, neither of them raised a finger to stop the fiery catapults or the shaman that fanned the flames that they unleashed upon Teldrassil. The genocide of the Kaldorei will never be forgotten!

Bandu thoribas!

8 Likes

Really like this initiative. Elune knows the Kaldorei need their savagery back. It also nicely collides with the current campaign in Feralas which yet again shows that the Horde has no intentions of leaving the Kaldorei lands alone.

5 Likes

Hello, Mythundis!
Excellent Forum post!
Thanks for reading!

But really, this does look pretty cool; I’ll put it to the guild and Co. see if we can’t add to the assuredly high turn-out!

5 Likes

Very cool event maith, this is absolutely what we need to see in the nelf scene.

8 Likes

To see that you’re announcing yet another great initiative is an absolute pleasure, Mythundis. Although it is too early to say with certainty, I do hope that the Mok’Nelghor will be able to reduce your pitiful elven bodies to ashes show up in some capacity :dragon_face:

2 Likes

Hey team! I’m glad to see all this interest so quickly – hopefully, we’ll be able to see all you guys on the 16th!

Great to see we’ve also garnered interest on the red side, but it’s sadly not what we’re looking for. The event wasn’t created to accomodate for Horde disruption, and although we normally do love ourselves some IC conflict roleplay, this event isn’t the place for it.

Thank you for your understanding and I hope you have a Night Elf/Worgen character to attend on instead!

11 Likes

I would recommend seeking out any attending guilds for any RP-PvP that might follow. We contemplated doing something but ultimately decided against it and left it up to the individuals to plan something like that as a follow up instead. As Mythundis said, we‘ve no interest in RP-PvP or conflict RP during this event. That is also in part why we chose A. Such a remote place and B. Have Demon hunters guard the place with spectral sight. Hope that any Horde will respect the wish for the event to not be disrupted!

7 Likes

Thanks Mythundis, very cool.

Hopefully I’ll be able to attend - depends if I can round up a cabal of like-minded elves.

Great initiative, and ishnu’alah as they say, ha ha.

2 Likes

A New Moon? Why? What did you do to the old ones?! :dagger:

I wish you luck on this! \o/

2 Likes

Oh, I’m totally not loosing this event! Can’t wait!

2 Likes

Hey folks, regarding the entire “bring-your-own-offering” part of the event, we’ve decided that, since we’ll be trying to account for the sacrifice NPCs, we need to register who exactly brings what. As such, sign-ups for offerings (not attendants!) should be placed on the forum thread according to the following form:

Who: <name of offerer>

What: <offering that you’re bringing, race>

Since the event will go on until we have enough sacrifices, the amount of offerings will be somewhat limited. This will be called out once we deem it necessary - there’s no absolute number on this.

We will provide NPCs, but keep in mind that they’ll be very, very simple. They will be nondescript, they will not be emoting and they will be unconscious.

We hope people understand our reasonings behind asking for sign-ups and, again, if there’s any questions, uncertainties or concerns, do feel free to reply to the forum thread/reach out in private!

8 Likes

Finally, an event that will let Kaldorei act in the glorious way they should have been this whole time!

5 Likes

Oh, I hope I’m doing this right then

Who : Riralsun Moonwish

What : Sin’dorei

2 Likes

Best of luck with this event! Might pull my worgen out of the mothballs to attend.

2 Likes

I shall be present on my Nelf. : D

This sounds pretty lit, tbh.

3 Likes

As lit as Teldrassil. :fire:

1 Like

Who : Malfven
What : Forsaken

4 Likes