Now Available on the Shop: The Trader’s Gilded Brutosaur Mount

Blizzard is well aware that the outcry will be limited to a few posts on this forum, perhaps a rant by asmongold or some other youtuber / streamer, and then the bad press will go away, meanwhile behind it all, everyone is buying the mount.

Hmm.

Depends what they’re right about.

Making money? Treating their fans with respect?

I don’t think this is a good way to make money in the long term. Like, if Blizzard wants to stay around as a giant in the gaming industry, then they ultimately need to build a fanbase that’ll promote and hype their games so they become increasingly popular.
This does not do that.

Which bring me to the fact that I don’t think this treats the existing fans with respect.
I mean, we paid a premium price for this expansion, and we have pay a running subscription as well. And under the guise of a patch that’s supposed to celebrate the game’s anniversary, Blizzard uses the player engagement for that occasion to sell an expensive mount on their online store.
That’s not a behavior that creates a good relationship between the fanbase and the company. The fanbase will feel increasingly alienated and taken advantage of as all the money they already pay doesn’t seem to translate into the high-quality game experience they desire, but rather premium stuff for sale on the online store.

Across all of Blizzard’s games, that all heavily monetize their players, there’s not exactly a good atmosphere these days. The sentiment toward Blizzard is pretty jaded and mistrusting, so to speak, because the expectation is not that Blizzard has the interest of the gamer in mind - but that they just want more money at any opportune moment.

What I’m taking from all of this is that Blizzard needs to hit a certain revenue goal before the end of the year. They have their own bonuses to worry about, and probably some insane targets to hit that are dictated by Microsoft and Phil Spencer who needs to close a whooping $68.7 billion hole in their pocket.
And Blizzard don’t have great new games coming out and their existing ones are bleeding players slowly but surely, so the only course of action they have left is to milk their existing fans for all they’re worth. Which they do.
It’s sad though, because it is a path that leads only to ruin.

3 Likes

Companies haven’t treated their customers with respect for decades now, it’s far easier to build brand loyality with “FOMO” / addiction tactics, then just do whatever you want.

Would have been cool if it was a reward for an epic achievement, like the Taivan mount.
Or maybe just a gift for playing World of Warcraft for 20 years, like a token of thanks.

You know, a thing in the game for playing the game. A game experience rather than a shopping experience.

2 Likes

I think he’s currently banned on Twitch for hatespeech, I saw a comment I can’t link on the forums in response to the bruto.

1 Like

Yeah it seems to be the way the industry is moving, at least the major actors within it.

But as is often said, then indie games is where it’s at. And it is.

So it’s not all bleak and gloomy.

I see it as a cycle, people fall out with the big studios, and buy more indie products, so the indie producers then become (or become bought out by) bigger studios, and end up being the new people making AAA garbage, but it doesn’t matter, because we have a whole host of new indie companies…

1 Like

I don’t think they could win on that front either way. Those that farmed 5m last time would have been put out if it was just some givewaway in game for a quest chain/achievements.

Why my new brutosaur cant fly? :confused:

2 Likes

No wings, only vendors.

1 Like

Tell that to my wingless flying horse :smiley:

that one is magical! :dracthyr_nod:

1 Like

It’s too heavy, that whole AH weighing it down!

3 Likes

but a flyin brutosaur woul have been incredible

1 Like

Uff not nice to milk the addicts like this

1 Like

Make the vendors fly it. :smirk:

1 Like

He is suspended, not banned.

200$ Mount Addon : Brutosaurus Jetpack

2 Likes

Thats going to be the 200 dollar mount. Don’t worry Blizz already have a plan.

His words. I will find tweet and censor words out.