Overwolf & Blizzard Addon Policy

I loathe things that ‘minimise’ and don’t close and most do that by default. First thing I do is find that close means exit option.

I remember this quote.

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

George Carlin

But yeah I find the close instead of minimise option except Steam and the Blizzard launcher.

Yes Dottie because you are averange or above in technology wisdom. But for example my mom don’t know that, and she plays games too.

Keep in mind that Soul only shows the CurseForge app.

The Overwolf app is a different beast that launches alongside CurseForge and will not close when you exit the former, forcing you to bring up task manager and kill the process manually. This may or may not change.

Yes I’m just sharing info from both sides, I think balance is better in discussions than just one sided dislike.

I’m still not convinced myself that it’s something I particularly want to use. I haven’t liked the bloated twitch app. The original Curse app didn’t seem anywhere near as bad. I love WoWUp.Io because it is just simple, I open it, update and close and it’s all I need it to do. It’s so small and doesn’t do anything untoward :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am not worried about my television being on standby. It uses so little electricity

2 Likes

I wonder if the Overwolf app bricks itself if you block advertisements at a system level via something like a hosts file or with a Pi-hole. The Twitch app used to throw a little hissy fit at me sometimes because of that.

These are two diffrent things. That you know about standby and you are worried. There are somedevices in my home that I don’t want to have all time connected to electricity network.

Ooh that was a painless exercise !

Twitch now gone and Wowup activated - for some reason I thought it would be chore switching over! … even did a purge of ones I disabled ages ago, lazy housekeeping on my part!

I kinda went in thinking the same thing. But WoWUP is insanely proficient at what it does. Didn’t have to lift a finger

Let’s just hope this debacle with OW gets sorted out, because I don’t want to be forced to go manual.

2 Likes

This could and should be one of the few things that all of the WoW community can unite against.

2 Likes

It apprently installs bloatware on your pc, Which tends to make stuff run in the background and it apprently even changes the settings in games etc. If you turn it on once, it starts messing around with your pc and it’s to late at that point.

2 Likes

yeah i’d like to believe most people would be against it

if not only for the fact that they are literally trying to BUY AN ENTIRE MARKET to create a monopoly on addon services and literally strongarm anyone into them by denying competition

if something like this were tried in real life, with regular stores, the government would go in and stop is ASAP since almost every country on earth has regulations against monopolies

but i guess there are no laws on the internet, or at least surrounding this so we’re sol

Overwolf has updated their news blog post with further clarifications, it is worth a read:

Most notably and I quote:

We have not, nor are we planning to send cease and desist letters, or close down access to 3rd party mod managers. We are actively seeking conversations with these developers to find sustainable solutions to the following items:

• Authors’ consent when it comes to third party distribution of their IP
  • How to address the impact on Authors’ earnings
  • How to lessen the impact on CurseForge’s servers and CDN

To be clear: nothing is changing, and we’re not turning off access for any 3rd party managers. We’re just looking to have a discussion and find solutions.

Clarification — This post has been edited to address the inaccuracies posted on Reddit and Twitter. We have not, nor are we planning to send cease and desist letters, or close down access to 3rd party mod managers. We are actively seeking conversations with these developers to find sustainable solutions to the following items:

• Authors’ consent when it comes to third party distribution of their IP
  • How to address the impact on Authors’ earnings
  • How to lessen the impact on CurseForge’s servers and CDN

To be clear: nothing is changing, and we’re not turning off access for any 3rd party managers. We’re just looking to have a discussion and find solutions.

That is very different from what they said before!

Backlash must have had an effect.

1 Like

Correct.

It also uses triple the resources something like WoWUP uses AND in order to quit their app properly, you’d have to end the process in task manager every time.

If all of that doesn’t make you a tiny bit suspicious, then go ahead.

1 Like

Well, if no other addon managers will work, this might as well end up being the final nail in the coffin of me playing WoW. I’ve already spend most time un-subbed than subbed during the oil-spill-fire (dumpster fire isn’t enough anymore) that is BfA story and I’m on the fence for even buying SL.
I guess it’s ‘vote with your wallet’ case.

1 Like

this is very different from what they said before, where they literally inquiried wowup about merging or turning off the API

but as long as something like wowup or cursebreaker works then it’s all water under the bridge

again, i have nothing against overwolf themselves, but i have something against the very predatory business model of buying away your competition that they were showing a few days ago

4 Likes

Complete change in stance from them and I’m more likely to believe the information from WOWUP about OW stating merge or be at risk of being blocked.

This morning, I started working on a completely git-based addon manager.
Here’s my work in progress so far.

I have no idea of UI and Web development - if anyone feels like helping and doing this together let me know. Especially if you’re a frontend person. It could be a fun community project.

I also registered the domain name decursed.io for it :joy:

6 Likes