PCU-anti-PCU conflict and why it kills normal RP on Argent Dawn

To add on to this, its not even like perroy NAMED the community.

It obviously existed before one of the anti-PCU dinguses named it that.

And should I? I mean, the moment I do, about five/ten people will begin to spam the thread either denying that anything ever happened, or will just change topic and turn the thread about me being a contrarian.

Just look around and gather information for yourself. Make up your own mind. See how they act and raise a few questions yourself. Others won’t change their mind just because I state they’ve done x and y. And I know many here would not discuss in good faith, so yeah, I don’t care about proving anything to these people.

ie. You or some member of your guild (sorry but your t-mog is similar) were already part of that “your idea is stupid” train a couple of days ago, on that thread about the in-game protest. Perhaps you were nudged to be part of a group that would belittle someone’s legitimate protest with no other basis other than being smug/cause drama?

It is telling that all the people who dismissed the idea in the thread belong or belonged to the PCU (past tense because they don’t play anymore). Either they organized to attack the thread, or they were naturally inclined to do so together (at a surprisingly synchronized time, I’d add). Fortunately, that was a very mild thing but mobbing is a thing that is definitely encouraged in that community.

2 Likes

Hey now Aerilen is a special guy with a special heart

1 Like

Zaphius, you’ve been typing for a while now and I fear your point is starting to dragon.

More sincerely: People can’t respond to claims of anything if you don’t say what those claims are. How can people respond to something when they don’t know what that thing is?

2 Likes

I don’t need to be schooled by someone who’s been summoned in to comment on their off-realm character. The suggestion that the PCU isn’t a one-man autocracy is honestly laughable. It’s not a democracy.

I know the party line is that the ‘PCU’ moniker originated as an insult and was taken up by the plucky pioneers of the community, but I spent ~10 hours in a Discord call with Perroy in the early days trying to convince him that creating a project in which he would seed various racial guilds and keep the guildmaster role on most of them so he could create a more-or-less closed community which he could tightly keep the reins on, and naming it after himself, was not only an exercise in vanity but would ultimately serve to be self-defeating by starving the server of life.

Regardless of the origins of the ‘PCU’ moniker, the PCU community was an intentional creation.

2 Likes

Things the PCU is not:

1. Named by itself. The name was used as a derogatory term first, that the group co-opted as a joke to mock those people, and it’s stuck.

2. An attempt to manage all RP on the server. It’s just one community on the server, out of many, that happens to be very successful due to great events, great RP and a great community (that also does content!) attracting many members.

3. Killing the server. Blizzard’s general ineptness and worse, and the sheer toxicity of some people on the server screeching like lunatics over others joining a community are starving the server.

What the PCU is:

1. A great RP community that you should join, see the full list of guilds here: The [PCU] 😈 now recruiting! [250]
3 Likes

Night elf poster

5 Likes

Now and always.

1 Like

Never was…

I genuinely don’t know how people can claim that it’s the PCU killing Argent Dawn over two lacklustre expansions, a content drought, and Blizzard’s awful writing giving very little of worth for roleplayers to make use of.

Seriously, when was the last time roleplayers got something to really sink their teeth into? Maybe the n’zoth invasions? But before that, like… I dunno, Burning of Teldrassil? And now we have an entire expansion in another dimension where all the characters we’ve grown to love tolerate are acting like utter morons.

But no it’s none of that, it’s definitely one group of players on the server and none of that.

7 Likes

Yes. You should.
It helps if you actually say you’re argument when making it.
That is how discourse works.

The fact that you’re refusing to actually say WHAT your problem is, implies that you don’t actually have a legitimate, provable reason, and your deliberate obfuscation of your reasons for disliking the PCU, because you know that it can be disproven.

I would really love to hear your issues.

This is important. People think PCU guilds are all super interlinked and tightly controlled… they’re really not. PCU RP is incredibly free-form I’ve found, with there being very little control and a general willingness to let events go off their original conclusion based on player-made alterations IC.
We’re not all reading off a script, we’re not all pawns of Perroy, my literal single interaction with the guy was replying to one thing he said in general chat a few weeks ago, and I’m a decently ranked member of a decently sized PCU guild, so if we were all under his Tyranid Hive Control surely I’d have interacted with him more than once (at a push at that).

1 Like

Bit of a weird take because; what guild is?

2 Likes

you should join and see for yourself instead of talking mad :billed_cap:

I honestly don’t consider any opinion on the internals of the PCU valid unless you’ve actually joined and participated in the community, you’re just operating on assumptions and old bad feelings rather than going out to see things as they actually are

Argent Dawn was always a fairly good reason to stay subbed to WoW even in periods of content drought, since it was one of the few places in the world you could find genuinely open, free-form roleplay. If you’re familiar with the Cathedral and the Bazaar analogy, Argent Dawn was the quintessential Bazaar. The PCU is a Cathedral now constituting a good chunk of AD’s playerbase, and Cathedrals (by which I mean centrally-managed RP communities) are dime-a-dozen on the internet nowadays.

That’s true. Still, there’s a difference between the guild-as-unit and the self-contained network of guilds led and directed by one person, like the difference between a free market and a planned economy; it’s the difference between having the initiative to set up your own guild concept and running someone else’s for them.

No, I just genially thought the idea was stupid, as I expanded on why I thought the idea was stupid further in the topic. I am glad that I can still make my own decisions without anyone’s influence.

Simply false, cause I was never a part of PCU.

I really don’t get the infamous stigma that if your opinion aligns with some from the PCU - you are an immediate apologist for the community and therefore a homophobe, sexist, natsee and all the extra words that come along with such “title”.

Even if it

was seen as a coordinated attack of the drones - it still doesn’t evolve further than assumptions that simply breed false accusations and further division into “black and white” classification, which is just fundamentally wrong if you wish to remain objective in any further conversations.

Hold on, when I made DPC, was I actually Perroy?
I knew it! Tuzoh must be Perroy in a wig!

7 Likes

Federation of Evil

Same, but here we are again talking bag and accusing everybody who disagrees as being part of the PCU.

1 Like

Get in the bag

Tuzoh.
Hozut.
Huzot.
Sounds somewhat like “who-zat”, or “Who’s that?”

The answer: Perroy.

I’ve been playing since Legion and for me it’s never been like that. There’s been Duskwood, there’s been Stormwind, sometimes there was Booty Bay and sometimes there was Feathermoon (And personally I never felt too much like I could just walk-up in Feathermoon compared to the other places, but it should still be mentioned IMO). I’m not doubting that there may have been free-form roleplay on the server but in my time here I’ve never personally experienced.

Generally it feels like less people are playing on Argent Dawn these days, and to me I think it’s just that less people are playing the game in general - which I would again accredit Blizzard’s shoddy expansions for rather than to anyone on Argent Dawn.

2 Likes