PCU-anti-PCU conflict and why it kills normal RP on Argent Dawn

One problem with certain groups is that they feel the need to reply with sarcasm and a bite to try and put down other people.

IE: Above.

Doesn’t make a community look that great now, does it? Do better.

One problem with certain individuals is that they feel the need to reply.

IE: Above.

Doesn’t make an individual look that great now, does it? Do better.

8 Likes

What I said.

How do you manage to point a finger and still somehow vaguepost as if you’re not talking about one very specific group instead

3 Likes

I’m clever.

Having been in the PCU for a long time at this point, I’m one of the guild leaders who prove that Perroy didn’t create every guild in the PCU as early as the BfA pre-patch. We joined because the PCU represented most of the military guilds in the campaign and it made sense that we should join a collective of military guilds. So here’s a bit of debunking:

• The PCU are not a hivemind. We actually spend a long time discussing stuff and believe it or not disagree with each other at times. We simply believe that guild leaders should talk things out instead of there being loads of games afoot OOC at all times. My guild has enjoyed completely autonomy over how everything is run. We simply run by the same rules that we all agree upon. Not at one point has the PCU had ANY influence over the direction of the Battalion.
  • There are bad apples in every community, and most of the grudges are about members of the PCU who are no longer in it or were sorted out after they caused offence or harm. If you come forward with a concern about a member of the PCU being rude or doing something wrong we will usually investigate it.
  • Concept that we bubble RP and try to ‘take over the community’ is insane. We literally made various discords for different races and zones so that we could promote RP of those races and promote more guilds being made so that there would be more diversity of RP in the community. However, each time we started one up it was marred in people creating rival discords and bad faith acting in general.
  • The idea that we ignore guilds/players because we think their RP is bad is mad. I’ve seen guilds, especially those who RP in the North, put up with A LOT of stuff. The only time we actually ignore people is if they declare that they’re ignoring us and then refuse to apologize or we get situations such as the multiple times the Scarlet Monastery has been destroyed by super death machines and discord RP’d invasions. We ignore the worst cases and those who are incredibly rude to us, including those who have gone so far as to send us DEATH THREATS.
  • ‘But the PCU make up lore’. All RP is technically made up lore, and the irony is that a lot of people come at me with that, that we ‘completely ignore all lore’ when in fact we adhere to the lore very thoroughly. We’ve created little enemy factions and threats to fight, and as for ‘everyone’s meant to be at peace’, I raise you the ongoing skirmishes across Azeroth and even Jaina stating that the fighting is going to continue in pockets and outbursts for a long time.
21 Likes

I’m kinda late to the discussion, but I feel this. When my old guild went dormant I went ahead and joined a PCU guild. I’ve had a wonderful time but at the same time I feel a little trapped at times.

The other day I went to do some RP on a character and I came across an RPer. We interacted for about half an hour or so before they suddenly excused themselves, politely whispering me they don’t RP with PCU guilds. I don’t think they realized I was in a PCU guild until halfway through. It was civil so there was no harm done.

I won’t lie though, I felt a bit sad at this. I’m just me, I don’t judge anyone and I just want to have a good time RPing with anyone who I interact with, PCU or not. At the same time however, that’s 100% their decision and I fully respect it. The PCU has good people and bad people, I agree and disagree with various things in regards to the PCU. Everyone has their right to their opinion on the subject and I will never try to force a different opinion on people. If they don’t wish to interact with me because I’m PCU, I’ll politely let them be and won’t force anything upon them.

I can’t deny however that I feel a bit trapped when RPing with strangers however, never knowing who will and who won’t RP with me, a bit worried that people will shun me solely for the guild tag above my name. I don’t want to make anyone unhappy, I just want to have fun both for myself and the person I’m RPing with.

12 Likes

i could have zero “duplicity” in my posts but quote-miners could still find something in them to zero in on and be offended by, so why put in the effort

if you want to give actual criticism, how about “try to make your point without so many bloody words,” because it’s something i’m bad at doing and it would lead to much less room for being misunderstood/misconstrued, though i’m sure it’d still happen anyway

1 Like

A bit late to the party, but this has been an issue before the PCU and any of its guilds even existed.

Eww, the Stormguard are icky
Eww, the AHG are icky
Eww, Bane is icky
Eww, the Moklohn Command are icky
Eww, the Hand of Agony is icky
Eww, the Three Hammers are icky
Eww, the Royal Court are icky
Eww, Unit Fourteen are icky
Eww, the Stormwind Infantry are icky
Eww, this Cathedral of Light guild is icky
Eww, the other carbon copy noble house guild is icky
Eww, these <insert orc / troll clan guilds> are icky
Eww, these <insert Blood Elf mercenary company / military guilds> are icky
Eww, these Kirin Tor, Scarlet Crusade or Argent Dawn neutral guilds are icky
Eww, this Stormwind Guard guild is icky
Eww, this Worgen pack guild is icky

I’m sure those who have RPed on either Horde or the Alliance going back to vanilla or TBC have experienced the exact same tribalism and OOC feuds between guilds with either similar concepts or which oppose each other because of canon lore. The only difference now is that there’s one bigger community to target and treat as the boogeyman of role-play.

6 Likes

After numerous random encounters with unpleasant RPers I discovered that all of them were from PCU. There is no fun in having made up lore imposed on you. Nor is getting ambushed IC followed by “they are boring leave them” when you’re not accepting character injury. So now I tend to avoid PCU RPers if I can help it and yes. I do ignore them when they try to impose that some random PCU event really happened when it contradicts current lore.

THIS

Absolutely all the same conflicts, dramas, disputes exist in the non-PCU RP.

• metagame charges and overpower - check
  • mutual accusations of insults, - check
  • accusations that everyone else is playing the wrong lore - check

Only when there is no PCU label on the guild - such accusations are more quickly forgotten and forgiven

I think the only accusations that are quite unique for the PCU - are that they “fly 10-15 people all against 1-4 players and throw a lot of emotions in battle instantly.”
(By the way, I do not know how to correctly resolve such conflicts, because for me it is quite obvious that the guys from PCU just want to RP with new people at this moment and often there is no time to negotiate with strangers in open RP, and because of this a LOT of misunderstandings and grievances arise)
It seems to me that if players somehow work out scheme for resolving such conflicts, the number of dramas will somehow decrease.

And I honestly don’t know if there are any rules that govern defeat or victory in pure emote battle, and this is also the reason for many dramas

1 Like

The Consequences of Argent Dawn .com :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Bring Back Seth

Ignoring PCU

the biggest cringe u can put in your trp tab. What kind of forehead do you have to be to scratch off a big portion of rp from yourself lmao

1 Like

Can you provide some sort of example of one such thing that

Probably the riots.

I’d put money on it being the riots.

But… riots were superfun and It seems to me that time Defias were superaccurate in RP with people ><

2 Likes

The tribalism is a huge problem for the server, and it forces people to either be stuck in the middle or pick a side. Without looking away from the fact one side is more inclined to instantly slap someone on ignore than the other. There’s not really much that can be done, some people have just dug their heels in at this point, and will constantly slap away the open hand when offered

4 Likes

Yeah, they were!

But its the only “PCU event that contradicts current lore” that I can think of (I don’t think it did contradict current lore) and i know that a few people were unhappy about the riots messing up their day-to-day RP.

Yep

People unironically argued that they’re bad because riots are illegal.

Like, not even joking. I guess they just hate all rp that has evil or crime in it?