PCU-anti-PCU conflict and why it kills normal RP on Argent Dawn

Of course, the general rule of leaving things as you found them and ultimately restoring the status quo still applies. Hence, the riots get stopped, and the boy king lives another day.

4 Likes

What contradiction exactly? Elaborate :relaxed:

I’m selling an improved mechano-hog IC for 15g coins, amazing quality, crafted by artisan hands. If you are interested feel free to contact me, thanks.

So you think it’d be unreasonable to do something the PCU didn’t do because it was unreasonable?

What’s your issue then?

I think you answered that yourself. No issue to speak of.

3 Likes

I don’t think Levey was really going on about having any issues

3 Likes

This hits the nail on the head for me. The PCU doesn’t care who you RP with. Never will. It’s not our business. We’re happy to do our own thing, and RP with whoever comes our way. But the anti-PCU crowd can’t do that, they have to, and it’s ironic given they make meritless claims the PCU does this, force their views on everyone one. There’s a massive false equivalence between the PCU (biggest crime, being aggro on the forums) and the anti-PCU (literally harass, threaten, bully, and wish death on those who “oppose” their “crusade”). The “both sides do bad” line is completely groundless, and at this point frankly a joke.

Sorry you guys had to deal with those people, but ces’t la vie these days. Won’t lie though, the sheer level of lunacy from the anti-PCU crowd does raise a small smile: they’re our best advert.

15 Likes

which is absolutely hilarious.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree with everything that TRC poster above have mentioned. The worst position to be is…position of a regular RPer who is not picking sides and just trying to do what they came to do - RP with everyone who RPs.
That’s absurd in it’s finest, if you ask me. Especially if you play a wandering character, not stuck in SW 24/7 and encountering various guilds on the way.

And yes, I’ve got a reply that tribalism always had an effect on AD. I agree and I experienced it before PCU was created, but as I said, it wasn’t that bad. Because it was not centralized, and hence hatred was quickly forgotten and lost in memories.

1 Like

Definitely Swedish.

This is the only one where I think it’s valid to distance yourself from though, where as other guilds and roleplaying types listed there are totally normal occurences with normal people behind them, my experience with pack guilds is that it’s pretty much an avenue for for people to be thirsty with worgen. I’ve not seen a pack guild that’s just a normal guild, but comprised entirely/primarily of worgen.

Maybe by honing in on this one I’ve missed the point, but I do think pack RP is mostly just ERP. Correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Not about the riot in particular, no.

I was saying that everything we do is headcanon, some things bigger than others, that doing something big comes with responsibility and that there’s a very real difference between RPing a riot and to escalate said riot into moon guard tier server lore which didn’t happen.

There’s nuance in what we do as RPers and every interaction relies on others recognising our own impositions. This works up to a point but refusing to recognise an event, or even declaring players and communities apart from your experience is an active choice too.

The people who see the riot and henceforth go “ignores PCU”, personal issues aside aren’t too different from me ignoring the Uldum slave market nonsense and both of these things are effectively rifts in the community that I don’t believe will just close on their own. I certainly don’t want to associate with that crowd if I can help it.

So what’s the solution? Ignoring one thing won’t make it go away. Nobody wants to fix it so there’s nothing to fix. But this thread is ostensibly about this divide that drives players from a shrinking RP community that won’t be fixed. What’s a constructive step forward?

I’d argue for less OOC nonsense but that’s just me and people pouring their lives into this “feud” really need to find something that makes them happy.

Omegaverse. Do not google if you don’t know. Gawd.

Anyway, he’s right that the ick factor of guilds and concepts has always been there, rightly so in many cases but there’s been a consolidation of this mentality to an unhealthy degree.

The constructive way forward?

Simple:
We keep RPing. That’s what the PCU has done and is still doing. We keep on RPing with people in Stormwind, in Orgrimmar, and beyond.

The anti-PCU crowd usually shrivels up, their guilds crumple and you are left with individuals who cling to their hate. They send death threats, they send hateful whispers. But what they don’t focus on is RP.

Sure, they RP. But if there is so much a mention of PCU? Be it a guild or people who RP with them? SHUT IT DOWN! “I am not RPing with you because you are PCU.”

That’s the difference here.
The PCU only ‘ignore’ one guild… And is because guild leader REQUESTED it. We simply respect their wishes.
And even then, we often don’t ignore their members who didn’t get their guild leader’s memo about what they requested.

The solution to your ‘What’s a constructive step forward?’ question is, as I said:
We keep RPing.

2 Likes

The constructive step is for people to do what they have been doing so far - enjoy the game as they wish to since they are paying the money for it, not anyone else. It is flawed from the get-go to mend the divide within the community when neither wishes to do that due to the amount of past toxicity from both sides. For as long as people cannot see past some bygone offences - there won’t be any change, and the only way out is that either of the sides will just fade into inactivity.

There are people, who happily roleplay on both sides (not without any struggle to be branded as one or another side, I might add) simply because they are tired of this 2012 political gameplay - I can only assume that such people will continue roleplaying as it is and their further interactions with anti-pcu or pcu will create their own experiences for the future.

I do, however, think that conspiracy theories of people on occasions agreeing with PCU, hence de facto making them PCU, is quite a gamer moment, and is warranted to be met with a stern reply due to someone incapable to realise that black and white aren’t the only colours in this particular “conflict”.

6 Likes

I’m inclined to agree, only wishing for the background noise of OOC politicking to go the hell away. It’s not good for anyone involved nor exposed to it.

4 Likes

Honestly, the easiest solution would be for the PCU to ‘win.’
As has been said in this thread, the shunning is mostly one-way rather than mutual. The source of the ‘problem’ is the people who don’t want to roleplay with the PCU, so they’re the ones that need to be ostracised for refusing to roleplay with that community.
Mock them, deride them and shame them, until almost everyone left on the server has figured out that saying “I don’t roleplay with the PCU” is a quick way to exclude yourself from Argent Dawn’s roleplaying community.
Out of peer pressure, everyone will keep their opinions about the PCU to themselves or form insular communities far away from the public eye, where they won’t risk anyone sneering at them for their deviant opinions.

It won’t mend any rifts. In fact, it’ll probably create even more bad blood. But if your goal is create an environment where people will no longer refuse to roleplay with PCU members, that’s probably the quickest path to it. All you need to do is encourage the shaming of people for their unwillingness to roleplay with the PCU, until the shaming becomes the norm.

1 Like

I like this.

1 Like

That sounds extremely effective I’ll forward it to corporate

Edit: good news blizz restored my falsely reported post in the saurfang v sylvanas thread :pray: hope the flag abusers learn from this

7 Likes

I’m sure you understand the irony of this statement…