Pet Delights, positivity thread #2

Getting some more VA work. Did the recording on Saturday, quite a long piece actually. Trying to channel my inner Charles Dance for it. Send it to the Client. Waits nervously…

They get in touch.

“Well, I got it, and I have to say, it isn’t how I actually imagined the dialogue to be delivered”

ears droop

“Oh, well, I can re-record it, that’s not a problem, just tell me what you wa-”

“No no, that’s not what I mean. It is so much -better- than how I had envisaged it. You took the dialogue, without context and owned it, that’s brilliant. Consider me a very happy customer, and when you -do- decide to try and make it big, I’ll happily give a reference”

Does happy dance

15 Likes

I’m just quoting this part but nice and congrats!

1 Like

I love Charles dance’s voice so I’d love to hear how this turned out if you trumped expectations of the dance himself.

How did you start this VA stuff anyway? Just an informal request gone wild or something you’ve been aiming for directly?

I love hearing versatile voice actors. If I had more balls I’d give the arena a go myself as I have quite a wide vocal range and often practice my voices in shower or for storytime with my kids. That said my kids are sycophantic critics which is why that’s where I draw the line.

Good for you tho. It’s always good to hear when someone thinks we’ve done a good job. Particularly if it’s something we put passion into as well as effort.

2 Likes

Once its been used (Mid June) then I can link it,

Bit of both. I have ‘one of those’ voices, and a few people over the years have said “You should get into VA or Audio Book narrating”, so part of my New Years resolution was to stop dithering and actually start doing it. Downloaded ‘Audacity’ a very good recording software program, got a decent mic/headphones rig, and just went for it. First two pieces were free (I’ll link the first one in a moment) and originally this recent one was free, to build up a portfolio, but the client is going to pay me anyway.

But yeah, This was the first piece, I was a bit rusty, and still learning how the mic distance and recording worked, and yes, it is meant to sound like an Orc voice!

The lyrics, graphics and music aren’t mine, just the voice…

2 Likes

It doesn’t feel particularly orcish, but it still sounds amazing!

Love it, keep it up!

1 Like

Thanks for the links and advice.

Listening to the video I imagine you’d do an excellent worgen voice over. Deep and commanding but with an element of propriety to it. That’s actually what I thought of when I first heard it.

1 Like

Halo Master Chief Collection just announced for PC! AAAAAAAAHHHH!!! I cannot wait to play that badboy. Some of the best, and worst, times i had were playing that collection of games with my bro.

4 Likes

just added it to my steam wishlist so I remember to buy it. Thank you for the reminder.

2 Likes

Hype for playing halo with my friendo. We gonna finish this fight.

2 Likes

is Reach in the Master Chief collection?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-pc-halo-reach
For the article itself!

1 Like

Yes. Or at least, it is for the PC release.

"For the first time ever, The Master Chief’s story comes to PC. Featuring Halo: Reach along with Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Halo 2: Anniversary, Halo 3, the Halo 3: ODST Campaign and Halo 4, this is the definitive Halo experience. "

2 Likes

Look if we can play Halo Reach and the Reach Multiplayer, I’m sold, Reach and its multiplayer are one of my favourite gaming memories ever.

EDIT: Sucks that the firefight plus campaign is a “digital add on” but at least we get the Reach multiplayer included

1 Like

yes yes YES

Current Objective: Survive

are you ready boys

2 Likes

“We all make it sooner or later. Better get going, Six, they’re gonna need you down there. Listen, Reach has been good to me.”
“Time has come to return the favor. Don’t deny me this.”
1 Like

Name your favourite game mode fellas

I personally liked SWAT because I was really good with that DMR

2 Likes

Zombies on Sword-base camping in the vent area.

3 Likes

Invasion was very based

1 Like

SWAT for Reach, Big Team for the OG bada$$ery that was Halo 3. Nothing will ever compare to some Valhalla.

1 Like

The quality of the cutscenes in the game. They have really gone up in visual and narrative quality.

1 Like