Pet Peeve: The Undying

It’s peace of mind, at least, BEFORE your brain is turned to mush and fragments of your skull shattered like fine china.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t count on that.

Better to just duck, why go for the head when blows just as deadly require far less effort, anyway?

I wouldn’t know, but it’s just ingrained in us that going for an opponent’s head is better ever since we learned that the difference between a man with a missing arm and a man with a missing head is that one still breathes and the other is beneath a gravestone.

Some armchair dev theorycrafting here: because keeping the demo updated with the latest build of the full game is a lot of added work. They would much rather put as much polish as they can on the full game.

Well on the upside, Javelin customisation is great even just for paint jobs. Lots of textures, materials and colours to pick from.

If they go the Titanfall 2 route of ‘free content’ with purchasable cosmetics then I’m more interested. TiF2 did a great job in that regard, cosmetics weren’t in loot boxes and were remarkably ‘cheap’ (As far as cosmetics in games go). Like £7 for an alternate titan model with it’s own executions, £3-4 for a whole pack of about 20 camos for your guns, pilot and titans, etc.

Peeve:

Ilyadris-argent-dawn
It’s just not, though. Put your main behind your opinion or don’t come back to these forums tbh.

That people like this not only inhabit AD but that they’re allowed to interact with other human beings

1 Like

the forums are a dangerous place… thread carefully.

2 Likes

where dat from, mon?

General discussion. Thread about Raider IO

Called someone out for calling other M+ players “scum”… Caught heck for not posting on my “main” lmao.

1 Like

But people didn’t use sledge hammers. The one handed maces, for one, aren’t very heavy. The heaviest (I believe?) varied anywhere from one-and-half to two-and-a-half kiloes- Which is, hardly a sledgehammer hitting you square in the face. Granted, there were things like mauls and flails and pole-hammers, which could gather a lot of momentum and as such deal devastating blows to the person, even through armor, but even these weapons were far behind a modern sledge hammer, and there’s a reason for that:

Sledge hammer is made for breaking walls. Pole-hammers are made for breaking people and armor (something much more fragile, and less stationary).

Even a handheld hammer hitting you to the skull will probably disorient you or knock you out with proper force (if not kill you), but I’d still rather be wearing a medieval helmet because the chances are that helmet will actually flail on my head and as such absorb the blow, glance it off, or just outright stop it if there’s not enough force behind the blow.

My argument wasn’t that plate is impervious to blunt weapons- It is, however, something you’d much rather wear than nothing at all.

Well that depends on so many things, doesn’t it? Angle of the impact, the force behind it, the weapon used, and whatnot.

Even in modern day a proper, cheramic/kevlar/plate armor won’t stop you from dying from some bullets that it’s rated for, depending on the circumstance. Does that mean that the armor is pointless to wear?

You’re talking as if your typical situation in medieval context combat was that you allowed the other person to get a complete overhead swing at your face with a mallet

It definitely depends on the type of helmet you’re wearing. Jousting helmets, for one, were -definitely- made to sustain blows that had far more power behind them than a single sweep with a mace could ever muster.

A great bascinet for one, while poorly adapted for hand-to-hand combat, was really great against both missile fire and heavy blows and to some extent in tournament armor (granted you had a specifically made visor for it, as the houndskull one offers very poor peripheral vision). Since it’s domed very high above your head with the net holding your skull entirely off- the actual plate itself, it can survive really nasty blows as it’ll flail and bang around, rather than caving in directly onto the person’s head. Equally, a late-great helm (commonly known as the frogmouth helmet) or even a barbute would be great compromises, though less protective.

But something like a sallet, close-helmet or a kettle helmet? You’re likely not going to survive a direct blow.

That is my pet peeve, pretty much.

1 Like

I don’t run M+ so I don’t have much to do with RIO but yeah, I can see why it would be a frustration.

People expecting me to have ran Temple of Sethralis and Shrine of the Storm while I’m applying to a Waycrest Manor run are pretty frustrating, yes.

Thats what you get for turning your back on the horde.

1 Like

People who bring their personal problems into RP with strangers.

/e - (sorry guys g2g, parents are screaming again. I need to move out -_-)
/e - (can’t concentrate atm, mb, maybe my insomnia???)

We all have problems but we don’t need to broadcast these things publicly while other people are enjoying what free time they have. Wanna reach out and talk about your problems? Sure. Do it. It can help. But do it where it’s welcome, appreciated and private.

1 Like

Who would use a Sledgehammer in medieval warfare? I mean people are trying to equate that to WoW, so lets indulge that theory. Who would do that? It is hard to think of a more inefficient weapon choice. I mean lets look at this. You grab the handle and flex your muscles to pick up the hammer. Too Bad, your opponent just stabbed you. You take a mighty swing with your Sledgie. Your opponent doesn’t care, they stepped away with ease, read a short story, then stabbed you. Your enemy goes to strike at you, surely your trusty weapon will defend you. Yeah. It might do, if you weren’t moving it at comparative glacial speed to someone just…stabbing? There is a reason certain weapon combo’s -worked- historically and Empires were built off the back of that! OMG Brigs! Fantasy Universe! OK, that applies both ways. Your double handed hammer not designed to fight with is faster, so is the other person’s dagger that -is designed to fight with. Can’t have one without the other. Its a shame, because the Paladin Fantasy is cool but yeah…just no. There Is a -way- such weapons were used. Probably the same reason that Landsknechts were generally tricked out with a few shivs for when the Zweihander was just impractical.

Sad but true(And I say this as someone with a new Dark Iron Paladin) but the double handed Warhammer approach is the most laughable thing ever. No, actually that was a YouTube clip of a crab trying to climb a tree, but anyway, yes, just No! That’s not going to work! For it to work, means the laws of Physics in the Gameworld have to apply to other people and weapons as well, meaning that it STILL won’t work against them. Just…NO. I love playing it as a class, and I’ll keep doing so, but Retridins, you make no sense at all!

2 Likes

Much better at injuring a heavily armoured plate-mail wearing knight than a sword. Essentially nullifies the benefits of the plate-mail. Blades ineffective in later-medieval combat due to the armour being as hard as the sword so ricochet was common. Sledge/Mace becomes effective counter to this because it causes concussive damage and doesn’t need to pierce someone’s helmet to kill them.

Also really useful as a side arm for lighter armoured soldiers i.e archers - who were the main focus in late medieval combat as well as crossbows became more prevalent.

So who would use them? A lot of people. Effective at disabling and crippling heavily armoured cavalry + infantry for a cheap cost. Good side arm for lightly armoured auxiliary units.

Diminished due to the decline of the cavalry charge. Also because they were ruinous to the various princes and monarchs of Europe, mercenaries formed the backbone of the pre-early modern armies post-1346 Europe.

Fantasy universe - also practical. A heavily armoured combatant will want the edge against other heavily armoured combatant - ergo the Paladin swings the hammer at other Paladins + Warriors etc.

Arguably makes more sense for a Dwarf - since you’re keep referring to physics. Centre of gravity is lower to the ground for a Dwarf meaning they’re going to be able to swing more of their bodyweight into their hammer - weight is less spread out like a Human or Orc.

So I hope you can still enjoy playing your class with a completely mechanically and physically appropriate explanation for you!

The Sledgerhammer was purely used as an example for what would happen if you apply the blunt force of this familiar modern tool unto a metal helmet of medieval times, not all are familiar with medieval blunt force weaponry afterall.

Brigs, your entire rant is pointless when someone can magically enhance or enchant their weapon, armor, arms, muscle, center of gravity and focus with magic, making whatever they want to use as formidable as any other weapon of choice. More importantly I can’t see a single race in this game where the realistic logic you want to use could overwrite the rule of cool.

12 Likes