Pet Peeve: The Undying

Wrong. Their philosophy is “How much money can we extract from the shmucks who still play our awful MMO?”.

Why do you think they offered a mount with a 6 month sub? Why is the RaF system now is 180+ euros for transmogs that should definitely have been ingame?
Subs are meaningless on that spreadsheet… It’s about get the maximum amount of money from the remaining population.

The reason why it’s so frustrating is that Blizzard is doing this monetization tactics in a time where good will for WoW is at an all time low. Trying to get money out of people who are already unhappy is a pretty dumb move PR wise, but the guys watching the Quarterly earnings and the Shareholders don’t care about that.

FF14 has a big cash shop but players are very happy with their MMO, that’s why there’s very little (or loud) complaints about it. Activision Blizzard is trying to have its cake and eat it in here.

1 Like

“Wrong”.

proceeds to write opinion based material.

Yes, they are a company, what a surprise. But over all their philosophy has shifted from subs to active player time.

XIVs store is in an odd spot, being both better and worse than WoWs.

There are a LOT more cosmetics, but a lot of it is just variations of what you can get in game. And what’s unique, frankly I find to look ugly anyway.

But on the flipside, the store is in no way advertised in-game (No ‘Store button’ here…) and the account services are WAY cheaper. I’m talking half the cost or even less. It’s like £5 for a race change instead of £20. £18.50 instead of £50 for a boost. £15 for a server transfer, but you can transfer as many characters as you want so long as the start and end points are the same, even across to different regions. And you don’t need a separate sub to play on US.

They can do whatever the fudge they want with the cosmetics if it means services are actually a reasonable price. Compared to Blizzard who charge the cost of an entire video game just for a race change. Or make it cheaper to buy the expansion for dummy accounts to get a boost than to buy the boost by itself.

4 Likes

Yeah a friend of mine told me about it. Honestly as long as I can get it ingame by playing The game and some reskins are on shop it’s fine by me, not ideal, but fine.

That’s ideal. Imagine if WoW services were at that price. I would probs do it more frequently, RP servers like ours would be happy little gold mines.

On sale… A recent AAA game on sale or a good indie game. But I agree overall.

1 Like

tbh I don’t often buy full priced £50 games these days, I tend to go for £20-30 range of titles, usually AA or indie. But you get the idea.

Neither do I really. I waited I think… 2 solid years before buying Just Cause 3 and I got it on sale for 18 euros on Steam.

Paying 60-70 euros for a video game is preposterous in my mind, that’s one week worth of food with some side entertainement. I’m still paying 30-35 euros in the worst cases… Guess I’m still stuck in my PS2 standards.

To be fair, the in-game services may be cheaper in FF14 but the game ties a lot of exclusive pets, mounts and emotes to expensive merchandise. I’ve cut ties with the game after growing utterly disillusioned with it as of Shadowbringers but before that point I was spending far more on the game than I ever did during my time playing WoW.

I like FF14 but–

You could get a lot of them in game, at one point but you cannot now (like previous Halloween items etc.)

Yeah that sucks. But at least it all fits thematically in the game so you don’t have guys running around with Mountain Dew greatswords or something.

The worst case of this has to be Mass Effect 2, where there were like… two helmets in the game, and about fifty that were from codes from various soft and energy drinks. WTF Bioware?

peeve; people that are privately rp’ing or having their own bubble rp session talking about it with no context in guild or other social channels. like how tf are the rest of us supposed to engage with ur bs if you hide away?

Simple sadly. You have to, well, not engage.
In this kind of case, I often shrug it off and walk away. I don’t bother them. They don’t bother me.
I would agree, RP is about sociability. About opportunities and such - but sometimes… eh.

IRL peeve;
Other people’s showers are the worst. Some are overly complicated. Some burn you no matter what setting its on. And the one I’m currently in sounds like a screaming child. Literally.

2 Likes

yeah that’s just how I wake up in the morning

I don’t like coffee I need to take what I can get.

1 Like

I like coffee, but it’s a laxative for me. #justsaying

I say I like coffee, it needs a lot of sugar.

I had a weird experience with this a little while back. I was RPing in the Stormwind cemetery with some friends when two people came up to us and started mourning at a grave. We reacted to their presence; It was impossible not to considering they were right next to us.

And then we got whispers telling us to ignore them. Literally came up to us and started bubble RPing between us. It was really weird and we ended up going elsewhere because it ended up interrupting our own RP.

1 Like

I hate leveling still. Even via Timewalking.

I thought timewalking experience had been hit with the “fun detected” bat?

Nope. Still takes about two per level with heirlooms.

1 Like

Trying to use someone else’s shower is like trying to pilot a UFO, you can’t change my mind.

I’d have kept responding to them tbh. Give them a hint that if they want to RP in private, they should go somewhere private.

“Bubble” RP, wherein you generally keep to your guild or friends is fine. But point blank pretending other people don’t exist and only paying attention to your friends is dumb.

I remember during an RPPvE campaign a while back, we had a bunch of wounded after a battle against Undead+Demons in Northrend, we took them back to the gnomish airfield nearby.

Our guild, and one or two others, informed the DM that we were setting up tents for the wounded (As there was basically no cover at all there). DM relayed this information to everybody. Except people continued to be dramatic IC and started dragging wounded into the incredibly packed tower nearby that was being used by officers to discuss our next move. When asked “The hell are you doing?” they constantly yammered on about the wounded being left in the freezing winds. Despite repeated attempts to inform these people that we had set tents up.

Weird, but whatever. But it became very apparent that a select few guilds were pretending what other people were saying or doing simply did not exist. One of my guildies, who RPs a medic, repeatedly prodded someone to respond to their character’s attempts to mend them. Nothing. Their guildie walks up and suddenly they come to life and will only respond to said guildie.

At that point we realised there was no point trying to communicate to that guild, who started putting our guys on blast for “leaving the wounded in the freezing wind” despite us repeating over and over THEY ARE IN MASSIVE TENTS YOU MONGOLOID [paraphrasing]. Fortunately most heard the DM the first time and responded properly. But some people just refuse to acknowledge anything anyone else does…

2 Likes

The amount of times I’ve come across these types is surprisingly high. If you’re in a cross group situation, allow others to be part of the RP. If you don’t want to be involved with non guild members, don’t turn up!