Pet peeves: The return (Part 1)

Life is finally good.

So tired today I keep falling asleep. Help

hmm, I’ve always liked more magical-themed expansions. I’m not sure I’d be excited for a “new continent, but it’s Australia!”

Pulling an MoP might be a good idea but then again, a lot of its dynamics were copied in BFA. Didn’t go well. And they don’t get close the hype something like legion could generate: Legion made the players fight the most iconic enemy of Warcraft (on par with the Scourge). It also did a lot of context right: city of evil noble elves dealing with corruption, edgy demon hunters, floating city of mages, the archetype of uniting to fight a bigger threat etc etc.

In terms of lore they need to rethink storytelling entirely; a world revamp or an expansion where we explore new things is good. But most importantly have the company take risks and produce new features the players look forward - it feels like the last expansion in which we were promised things was Legion (the DH class). And even in legion the new features didnt feel a huge deal compared to say, all the things we were promised in previous expansions (WoD alone had the likes of the Garrison, a completely new system even if it backfired).

A lot of stuff (t-mog, mounts) feels like it is oversaturated and all over the game. In every new zone since patch 8.1 there are like 10/30 new mounts to collect with random RNG spawn that you have to farm weekly. Not only it’s bad content but it trivializes the reward. Korthia introduced like, what, 30 new mounts? They don’t even have the time to be iconic as you have too many to think about. Too much is not good. Players can’t properly “absorb” it.

They could try with new rewards, or introduce new rewards that complement old objects. Have customizable mounts? Create combat mounts that can fight in the world/in specific arenas akin to a pet battle thing? And so on and so on.

A new world experience, having the chance to use, for example, the WoD leveling experience (the wolf in nagrand was so good!)

Legion wasn’t perfect and indeed, Legion brought huge issues such as the awful class revamp.

But a lot of Legion features were a new thing at the time. World quests were an attempt to revitalize the leveling areas, which were otherwise left empty all the time. I don’t think they are bad per se though - say, the artifact progression actually made sense at the time, and people were invested in their weapon.

1 Like

Speaking entirely for myself, the thing that got me most excited about Legion (and why I resubscribed shortly after the expansion announcement, after two years of not playing WoW) was not fighting the Burning Legion, but visiting the Broken Isles, a place veiled in mystery and full of lore about the Kaldorei Empire and the War of the Ancients. As a night elf fan, I felt like it was the perfect expansion for me: exploring the Broken Isles with their gorgeous wild forests and ancient kaldorei ruins, Maiev and the Wardens being back, an Emerald Dream/Nightmare sub-plot, and finally seeing the city of Suramar in its full splendor (that it was a retcon of TFT didn’t really bother me).

I think I wasn’t the only one to whom the expansion spoke in the same way, because I saw a large increase in night elf RP activity over the months leading to Legion launch.

3 Likes

Picked Mini up, he tried to bite me so i blew air into his mouth.

He looked so surprised and taken aback.

2 Likes

Ya boy Arl promoted to dragoon :triumph:

1 Like

Got enough wolf marks for the Sage and Reaper pvp weapons when they come out (assume they’ll add them, they added DNC and GNB ones after the fact)

Congrats! try not to elusive jump off a platform

You’re not my mom.

I really need to catch up on story quests though, i’m 33 and i’ve only just done the Sylph stuff. :frowning:

Time to level another class to do it on!

As much as i love the Red Baron magitek armour.

I miss it not playing the FF6 world music like the OG black armour.

Just reintroducing MoP scenarios as part of telling the expansion’s story would be great.

6 Likes

Would it hurt comics to be written by someone who does more than 2 second of research and maybe has an ounce of talent? No.
Just a hint, Marvel.
Just a hint.

2 Likes

A woman after my own heart (For creepy sacrifices and demon summoning!)

But yeah, I miss Scénario.

I’m not the only one missing scenarios I see.
Yes, bring them back please! Way better than today’s questing system.

I actually liked the MoP scenarios.

Same. Bite-sized role-neutral content that could be used to explore chunks of story that wouldn’t fit in either a quest or a dungeon as well.

5 Likes

oh god, what now, please not any characters i care about

MoP scenarios were kind of wasted potential, because for some reason Blizzard always requires things to have a competitive or timed edge.

Honestly, island expeditions were sort of evolutions of the MoP scenarios that they 100% could use now further as they have the human-like AI system, so you don’t even have to wait for people. Maybe like, to queue for X story bit, if the queue takes longer than 5 minutes you’ll have remaining spots filled by AIs.

You can also have the stories be a little bit longer and more intricate, since iirc MoP scenarios were kinda shallow in story-telling and just dungeon-not-dungeon type instead.

1 Like

More than anything, it’s a(nother) case where blizz tried something for one expac, it was generally okay, and then rather than iterating and/or expanding on it they just sorta left it by the wayside for the most part.

Scenario’s were a fantastic way to tell story beats and they just got dropped entirely. Honestly MoP did some things well, 5.1/2’s “do a week of dailies and you’ll have the rep to progress the story” was solid to be honest. It broke up a month long grind and it was better than the current “wait and see” drip of cinematics at the end of every raid.

1 Like

I used to think Blizzard tests out some systems or just assets, since they slowly iterate on them for some future content patch, which is why I was very excited for Legion reveal with the Val’sharah night elven buildings. My dumb :peach: thought we were going to get a Darnassus revamp using those new HD assets. :crazy_face:

Another thing I think MoP did very well was tell the story through treasures, like those scrolls.

We do get some random history through junk items (like Shadowlands with the calling things), but those junk items are often written by some random intern not involved in the story. Some sort of focused effort could be great for general worldbuilding, really.

1 Like