Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

It’s a shame.

Right before reading the latest posts I honestly considered buying D4 because I liked the beta gameplay, despite the high price, but between the dark-pattern business practices and Blizzard just continuing being… sleazy…

And since it’s architectured as an online game, with server-side game logic, it’s unlikely to get cracked.

Ah well. I have an actually well-written online game to play where I’m not even close to exhausting the story.

1 Like

I feel like I’m the only one who disliked D4 from the beta.

from the awful totally-not-eastern european accents to the classes being wonky (i guess this is fixable at least), and god fire whoever wrote lorath nahr’s introduction…

The only positive D4 has is that you can mog yourself to be a hot nude muscle person. Character creation was also pretty nice. But it’s not worth the 70 price tag plus battle passes. :sob:

Europe, Australia and New Sealand are still the wild west when it comes to VA hiring in the US. Mostly because they won’t catch a lot of flag when doing that.

And yeah, when I saw the price + battle pass I just kinda laughed. Sad because I really liked some of the visual designs but I’ve got other games to play.

Today’s Darktide patch finally brings up the game to what I would call “launch-ready”, which is both good and incredibly grim at the same time.

But at least now I can actually look like a guardsman.

2 Likes

What latest posts?

cadia stands

1 Like

Imagine if all current day games launched in a launch ready state, instead of as busted betas. What a state of affairs that would be. I feel like I was alive during a time many years ago when that was the case but it seems so strange I wonder if I am merely imagining it.

4 Likes

With, always, fully functional cash shops, of course!

1 Like

Got my Vamp Lord Dunmer married to a Dunmer mage in Skyrim.

Gotta keep the magic going.
Fitting that I will be setting off to Solstheim to do the Dragonborn DLC next too.

What’s been changed?

Which mage, though?

Good morning, AD. Today is a day that begins with “why?”

2 Likes

As in “why isn’t this a bank holiday either”?

2 Likes

-Looks at the time-
Aaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh!!

Latest posts in this thread.

I think another thing that sucks about battle passes is that they’re kinda good. Or as least, it’s easy to fall for them.
I play Apex Legends and the battle pass there feels decent, it pays for itself if you complete it, it gives you small challenges to change up your playstyle every few games, and rewards you with regular dopamine hits.

I can’t speak much for other battlepasses, but I imagine most of them follow a similar formula. And for a lot of people, that’s how the battle pass feels and works. We get rewarded for playing a game we like and don’t realize or think too deeply about the predatory stuff underlining the whole thing.

Gets even worse when battle passes are compared to worse, even more predatory monetisation techniques. At least it’s not loot boxes anymore, am I right?

2 Likes

That there are good (“enjoyable”) things about the battlepasses like giving you incentive to switch up gameplay is part of why they’re insidious. Hook you in with a bit of variety with a dash of gamified FOMO, keep you playing the game, all while the microtransaction shop lingers just at the corner of your vision saying “oooh, you could just drop a few bucks on this cool skin…”

They wouldn’t do it if it didn’t work on some people :pensive:

£60 for the game
Two layers of purchasable battlepasses
Plus a microtransaction store
Truly D4 is Hell in modern game form.

3 Likes

That Dark Elf gal from the Winterhold college
I forgor her name.

1 Like

True love at its finest

3 Likes

Cosmetic overhaul with a dedicated spot for all in-game earnable cosmetics (which was also expanded with a lot new items and backpacks) along with two new missions, a new boss and a new monster encounter chance. Together with the previous patches the game now feels like a release ready game with a polished interface, gameplay loop and quite a lot of of content for the base price of 35 pounds (excluding the fact that anyone currently running the game with AMD on Windows 10 will hard crash on startup lol lmao).

1 Like

Hey when you have to deal with Dragons coming out of nowhere, vampires attacking you when they should be your allies, assassins jumping from the bushes and whatever else Skyrim decides to throw at you, names become a lil unimportant.