Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

What level you are plays a big factor too.
Lower level classes in FF are a lot more similar due to how basic it everything is. 50 and below is the living snooze.

I blame an obsession with balance for many mmos lack of variety in that regard.

Balance is an unobtainable goal because itā€™s ultimately based on opinion not a mathematical equation that can be solved. Opinion that shifts like frelling quick sand.

Itā€™s also a race to the bottom, when the irate plebians or meddling developers come to the conclusion that something is ā€œunbalancedā€ the response is nearly always nerf it, rather than do something more positive like lift everything else up to the same level. Tall poppys get cut down and youā€™re left with an bunch of terrible unfun weeds.

1 Like

if you showed most wow raiders the shadowbringers or stormblood summoner optimal rotation for the time itā€™d probably give them an aneurysm. it had as many steps as most mythic bosses do while still needing to pay attention to mechanics.

Was talking about that at work yesterday when a guy on my team asked me if Iā€™d played FF14. Had to say yeah, the classes are pretty funā€¦after youā€™ve played a few dozen hours of them not being fun. :confused:

I manage to find them fun by getting into the class fantasy. Samurai or Ninja? I can be a weeaboo and shout out my abilities like Iā€™m Sasuke. Summoner? I choose you, Ifrit. Use Fire Blast!!

Happy pride month to my fellow queer folk :rainbow_flag: :transgender_flag:

6 Likes

And also happy birthday to Stonetower

5 Likes

Yo yo.

2 Likes

Eyup.

Itā€™s reared its head in Warhammer 40k now as well; a bunch of units from Horus Heresy (The prequel game, for those that donā€™t know) that you could use in 40k are, while still usable, being made ā€˜Legendsā€™, i.e. they will get unit sheets and points costs, but they wonā€™t be updated and wonā€™t be usable in tournaments etc.

The steady drive/demand for things to be ā€˜balancedā€™ in a hugely assymetrical game makes this inevitable. And then people complain about the removals.

Meanwhile, Iā€™m over here assembling a WW2 army for Bolt Action, knowing full well my Fearsome German Engineering tanks can get one-shot by a screaming man with a tank-mine strapped to a pole. Thatā€™s soldiering :dracthyr_hehe:

I return from seeing the new Spiderverse movie. It is very, very good. Perhaps even better than the first? A high bar to clear. I highly encourage people to go see it.

3 Likes

RIP Boxnaught.

1 Like

I must see it.

The Spotify AI DJ is cursed.

ā€œWas I a Good Dreadnought?ā€
ā€œNoā€¦ I heard you were the best.ā€

:fist::pensive:

Maybe this is my sleep depraved mind talking but hear me out.
the goblins spawn universally every half hour in a zone following a time table, this table is the exact same across the entire game far as I am aware.
that means the goblin will spawn in stormwind across every possible shard.
now the spawn point may differ, but they all spawn at the same time.

So in theory, there is a shard where there arenā€™t as many people thus making the goblin a slightly longer fighter, so here me out here.
if you are in shard A and you burst down the goblin, then leap to Shard B by joining a group there, you could in theory get to kill the goblin twice.

Technically possible, but this is such an unnecessarily tryhardy thing to do when you can already kill a goblin every 30 min.

1 Like

ā€œIā€¦would have liked. To see the skies of Baal. One last time.ā€

2 Likes

I can confirm you can do this because it happened to me by accident, but the treasure goblin spawns in a different spot in each shard so you have to be fast

1 Like

Leo

6 Likes

So what does one get from these treasure gremlins aside from your game catastrophically crashing to a blue screen?

Is that the feature?

Across the Spider-verse quickly became my favourite movie of the year, holy frick

it somehow managed to be better than the first one and that was already a high bar to beat

What an excellent movie

3 Likes