Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

Mods Georg over here

Think that might still be less than me

Rimworld? I just got on this world!!!

My Rimworld takes like 10+ minutes to load in to the main screen

Toybox, bubble buffs, expanded content, expanded epilogue, isekai mod (yes really), one feat per level, respec mod, scaling cantrips, tabletop tweaks (core+reworks), weapon focus plus, and woljiif romance (it was pretty cute, and very well done for a fanmade thing)

I agree. It did strike me as odd but I couldn’t articulate why. So I checked vanilla 5e.

All fully martial classes get a new class feature at every level. All full casters get something at every level, even if it’s just new spell slots. (It’s telling that wizards and druids get nothing but new spell slots at every odd level between 3 and 17, but I’ve never noticed until now!) And half casters (artificers, paladins and rangers) get new spell levels at the rare few levels where they get nothing else.

In WC5e, the hunter is a fully martial class, so the presence of four completely empty levels is really strange. Furthermore, the balance seems wonky. Marksmanship and Survival get Extra Attack at the usual level 5 (though only as long as they don’t have a pet), but Beast Mastery gets a power boost at level 3 (when it gets to tame stronger beasts) and nothing comparable to Extra Attack at level 5. It gets Kill Command, which expends a resource. This goes against 5e’s general martial design philosophy.

Mind you, shooting once and then having my giant owl make a claw attack for 2d6+5 is still pretty strong. But Kill Command just doesn’t feel like that kind of must-have level 5 power boost that Extra Attack is.

Anyway, brain is exploding from all the tabletop RPG talk, it’s been too long and I can’t keep up anymore.
I wish everyone a LOVELY day. I’m going to go eat some pasta and play some days gone. <3

1 Like

Enjoy the food!

1 Like

All of this was very deliberate. A major complaint about 3.X’s class design was dead levels (nearly half of the 3.5 fighter’s levels were entirely dead, with no features whatsoever), and you can see the steps they took to avoid that when developing 5e.

You might not always get something really cool (eg. Brutal Critical, Tongue of the Sun and Moon) but you should always get something.

Needs a rework from the ground up, frankly.

Apparently they’re ‘looking at it’ as of like two months ago.

1 Like

I agree. Something about the current hunter class just feels off.

Though the priest needs a rework more badly, but seems to be stuck in development hell. And our group has both a hunter and a priest (and a warrior).

Sobs in paladin

1 Like

Keenly remembering how back in the day people argued paladins should just be a cleric or fighter set of alternate class features.

Then 5e paladin came out and they were very well designed, and everyone moved on to saying Rangers should be a fighter archetype instead.

Time is a flat circle.

1 Like

Wait, it’s all just Fighters?
Always has been.

1 Like

You got your Fighting Man, your Cleric, and your Magic User.
Maybe if you get spicy we can add the Thief later.

Somehow you still get grognards arguing to reduce the class list in 5e back down to these four.

1 Like

pondering the techno-dystopian utilitarian monarchy

we will use invasive technology to identify the ideal ruler and forcing them to rule against their will. the algorithm WILL decide.

(this is literally plato’s republic)

2 Likes
1 Like

Fighter.

Fighter [religious].

Fighter [university degree].

Fighter [with knife].

3 Likes

I gained a level (now 19!) and mythic rank (now 9!) and yet it did not make the Saddle Up ability appear in my abilities sidebar.

this is my plea for help what do

i just wanna ride a dragon to battle come on

I am once again telling you to watch The Expanse

1 Like