Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

Zerglings: all raptor baybee, swarmlings are good but on no-build missions they don’t give you more swarmlings

Roach: Vile, that slow is big

Hydralisk: impaler - lurkers are very good elsewhere but you don’t need anti-light for the campaign

Baneling: splitters + heal

Mutalisk: vipers are much better units but I can’t micro them so broods

Swarm Host: flying locust strong (they can get stuck on the hosts on the ground)

Ultra: torrasque is incredible, can’t be beat

4 Likes

Pet peeve: Games that do this!

1 Like

Speaking of, y’all got any recommendations this fine summer sale?

I saw Hi-Fi Rush, Furi, and Nier Automata are on sale which are all games I will readily shill any day of the week.

1 Like

Days Gone, starts off slow, but one of my favourite games of all time. And it’s only been on steam for two years, it made it to that favourite spot very quickly! =D
It’s 67% off right now.

Best way I can recommend games on steam, I forget I can just do this. But: https://imgur.com/a/oOuitLm
Fallout 5 test edition and fallout new reno. Are Script extenders for fallout new 4 and new vegas, restrospectively.

1 Like

My exact choices every time.

Love the splitter banes with kerrigan’s summon banes button

1 Like

https://media.dndbeyond.com/compendium-images/ua/ph-playtest6/OJVW7QLuHjEFCCVs/UA-2023-PH-Playtest6.pdf

College of Dance bard?! All praise D&D 5.5e our lord and savior!

(I can finally build Luthien)

2 Likes

Altered my favourites a bit, added a few games to it. Seems like the perfect way to recommend things on the sale. =D
I’d also have recommended Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, beautiful game, beautiful series, just… all round, beautiful… but the steam version is poorly made, very unfortunate. If you can emulate, DEFINITELY recommend.

As for the rest, based on games you guys play, you’ll like Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall and Hong kong the most. They are… exceptional!
Then there’s legend of Grimrock, I wager a lot of people who like old school dungeon crawlers would love.
Beyond that, majority of the games here speak for themselves. <3

… Except Roombo. It doesn’t speak for itself. It vrooms, it might be hungry, it’s hard to tell. You play as a carnivorous roomba who has to defend the home from robbers, then clean up their… ahem… remains.

The universe needs more bards. <3

1 Like

My favorite 5e class, hands down. So amazingly versatile.

I just recently finished a long campaign where my lore bard went the whole way from level 1 to level 20. By the end she was the only full caster in the party, doing a bit of everything — healing, support, AoE, battlefield control, — whereas the fighter, paladin and rogue focused on damage.

1 Like

Bard is my least favourite 5e class because they should have never made it a full caster.

Ah, such contrast.
Alas, I’m happier to see someone enjoying something than not. =D

I typically play rogues, sneaky types, pick locks (Can do in real life, yay) pick pockets (cannot do in real life, yay) stab things (Could do, won’t, yay) If you can give them a bow, that’s even better, (Can do in real life, yay)
Rogues and bards work well together, I think. We can torment the mages. =D

1 Like

I recently started archery and find it super fun! (fistbump)

1 Like

Ah, you have me jealous!
I could only do it on trips, as they only have clubs where I live, for children. No adults.
How wonderful it would be to do again.
I was quite good from the get go, so I didn’t have to worry about being bad for the first while before I could have fun. So that’s nice.
But unfortunately, I live on a tiny boring island where they think it’s acceptable to have 3 bowls greens, but not one bowling alley. I know that’s totally random based on the topic. But if they’ll waste space with that, then there’s absolutely no chance of an archery range, especially one for adults.

(That was a hell of a ramble) I’m glad you’re enjoying the archery, shoot double for me! <3

1 Like

You’re in a thread with people you could ask to proofread stuff for you, you know.

2 Likes

Savages! Savages!

Jumping 'lings of all kinds are great for shenanigans.

1 Like

With every new 5.5e… sorry, (squeaky voice) “One D&D” playtest document, I’m finding I have less and less faith in WotC’s designers.

The good parts aren’t new and the new parts aren’t good. Compared to 5e it feels homogenized, flavorless, directionless, design-by-committee. WotC can’t seem to decide what makes a bard a bard, a druid a druid, and a monk a monk.

The dancer bard is, frankly, disappointing. The AC bonus is nice, but the rest of the features seem situational or outright crap. You get unarmed strikes (because when I think of dancer class fantasy, of course I think of fistfights) but no extra attack, and situational buffs that are all dependent on the same limited resource. And the capstone feature is just giving me an extra use of a core bard spell? Meh. Meanwhile they’ve buffed College of Lore, because of course what it needs is to be even farther ahead of the other colleges.

The revised Four Elements monk is an improvement (because anything is an improvement over the old Four Elements monk), but is now completely homogenized, and the elemental powers are only cosmetically different. Remember how in Avatar, waterbending and firebending worked exactly the same except one was blue and the other red?

And now they’ve reverted subclass level progression, presumably to stay backward compatible with old 5e subclasses. Which means that a cleric domain, just like in 5e, gives you a feature at level 6, spells up to level 9, and then bupkis until level 17. Brilliant.

1 Like

Actually they’ve tossed out the One D&D name \o/
https://gamerant.com/dungeons-dragons-one-dnd-over-revision/

But yeah the new playtest stuff isn’t great. It has some okay ideas in it (comboing Step of the Wind into both Dash and Disengage is nice) but nothing the really outweighs the bad.

Just saying that they might have been able to do more with Dancer if bards didn’t have so much of their power budget tied into spellcasting… >_>

2 Likes

I would like to remind people the good rpg The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind GOTY edition is on sale and worth the €5.99 price tag

Bit like how 5e feels vs 3.5 :smirk:

1 Like

Not sure if I’d take 3.5’s direction where an explicit design decision was “include trap options to trip people up”.

1 Like

Boy, WotC really is rapidly backpedaling on their radical decisions lately.

New OGL with draconian licensing terms… (massive uproar) Never mind, back to the old OGL.

One definitive D&D edition going forward! Buy all new rulebooks and forget the old ones! Then a few playtests later, the changes are scaled back, backward compatibility is given more of a thought, and even the “One D&D” brand is dropped and it’s rebranded as a revised 5th edition.

Also, unpopular opinion, but I like how they removed all the pop-culture-Asian flavor from the monk class. Not only does it make sense in an age of increased cultural sensitivity, but it gives me more freedom as a worldbuilder. In my world, the monk arts were not invented in the China-equivalent, so it frees me from the burden of explaining why its class features have those faux-Chinese names.

3.5 had a whole slew of other problems. I never played it, only played video games based on it and read Order of the Stick, but just reading through the Player’s Handbook, 3.5 feels like a nightmare to explain to new players. Also, as a 5e DM I just wing DCs (or sometimes don’t even assign a specific DC and just look at the result of the player roll), but if I were to DM 3.5, cross-referencing all those tables and counting all the fiddly modifiers feels like it would grind gameplay to a halt.