Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

He falls hard for your shenanigans.

I know this is counterintuitive to its entire premise, but I’d enjoy Trickster more if it was a more serious story, like if my KC could warp reality for reasons more than just memery.

The best example is:

Trickster Act 4 Spoilers

Turning Vellexia into furniture. That’s a good way of enacting a punishment that fits her crime.

I feel you, some kind of Fey-style path where Shyka of the Many gets involved would be neat

It would also be treading on Azata toes though but there’s a balance

Gimme a prothean gal pal who imparts to me the truth (that the truest nature of reality is absolute freedom [chaos]), and I choose what to do with this information. I’d love to be more of like
 a cosmic prankster, giving people the comeuppance I decide they deserve, rather than turning the entire setting into a meta circus.

The Trickster path as it is in the game was fun to do once, when I was a chaotic evil and capricious character who revelled in the carnage, but I like my well-intended characters most of all.

Not often do I find Estonian as inspiration for fantasy names, so when I do it’s pretty funny.

Especially when assuming it’s probably a benefit of Owlcat being Russian devs, but afaik the azata names are in base Pathfinder game too? Where Paizo is an American publisher.

(Uinuja is literally ‘sleeper’. There’s also a Lillend Azata, and the Painajai demons, which are slightly less direct, but still fitting more or less. Lill is ‘flower’ and painaja is ‘nightmare’ or ‘torturer’. One could suppose it’s Finnish inspired, where painaja apparently means ‘pressman’. :person_shrugging: )

It’s the fantasy way - start with Western Christianity/Judaism, then go east until you hit Moroi

A hideously underutilised folklore is Celtic and Irish mythology - give me more banshees, more fey, dullahan, CĂș Chulainn, the works

It’s usually messily eaten raw by a given setting’s elves.

Albion in Warhammer used that sort of stuff.
But didn’t get must expansion in later things, which is a shame.

You go try find any central European folklore that isn’t heavily filtered through an anglophone pov. Especially if it’s not yet another retelling of the same few selective stories “by the Brothers Grimm” that have containment-breached all over the place.

Extra difficulty: No Witcher.

The world needs more actively predatory fair folk, full ‘give me your name’ meat-eaters

DA Origins Dalish touched greatness

2 Likes

Japan, of all places, seems to have a real soft spot for CĂș Chulainn and more of the Gaelic leaning folklore. Crops up in multiple shows and settings, from what I’ve seen.

I came across Setanta (CĂș Chulainn’s human name) in Persona 5 of all places, and was like ‘why have I never heard this excellent folklore from a stone’s throw away???’

1 Like

FWIW the Azata I don’t think are based on any Estonian mythology and the names were just ‘inspired’ by Estonian words.

There’s plenty of Estonian mythology to go around and be utilised, though I think some things are at odds with English translations. Elf (haldjas) is more like a fairy than what we consider Elves now. Haldjas here is more like a protective spirit of some nature object or phenomenon.

So I guess Ulbrig in WoTR calling everything fey or oglins is
 actually pretty Estonian.

The big banner art for the WoW forum with Alex and the flying background dragons always looked off to me and the more I look at them they look like they were AI generated.

I like the elves in DA sounding Welsh and Irish

2 Likes

I have a few MTG elf flavour texts burned into my mind.

“The elves have a reputation for attacking without warning. They claim the first shot is the warning.”

1 Like

who doesn’t like dunking on the shemlen tbh

“We fired a warning shot.”

“You call that a ‘warning’ shot? You took out my friend’s eye!”

“That’s what makes it an effective warning.”

You’re probably noticing it having been cut together either from different pictures or being a somewhat condensed version of a bigger picture.

1 Like

I haven’t touched MTG since decades ago when my big brother got me one of the early Starter sets (he kept the foil special that was part of the set, which is fair enough), and yet still I instantly know that that flavour text is from the Llanowar Elves :joy: Shows it was effective!

Edit: Also, I love how the Carians in Elden Ring were Welsh accented. It’s a criminally underused accent, tbqh.