Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

In true Windrunner fashion, she represents a people she does not quite identify with in a visual sense.

That said, she is called a void elf in canon.

Adopted by the real void elves.

I acknowledge that canon has made a decision

I mean yeah, for a void elf she’s about as edgy looking as styrofoam on white bread. Hopefully Umbric will teach her something about aesthetics.

Perhaps I am simply a picky creature (and also a profound hater of exclusives don’t worry totk and ff16 fans i don’t think ur games are pure garbo just the practices behind them) but the only games on that list that do anything for me at all are hi-fi rush (great game you, the reader, should play it) and armored core 6 and the latter is entirely empty because we know practically nothing about what it’s gonna be like yet and, from what little i know about the armored core franchise, it likely won’t be for me.

And as much as I will shill FromSoft they have proven with elden ring that they aren’t in the market of launching finished games.

1 Like

I always wanted to play Pikmin but forget to buy it.
Gimme Mario though! Playing As Yoshi and Daisy will bring me much joy.

We know it’s gonna be like Armored Core 4/FA/5/VD, with a pinch of Sekiro sprinkled in.

Also like, idk, it seems hard to talk about an issue where you’re saying there’s no good games coming out when we’ve had certified bangers across a whole bunch of genres this year. If this is what the games industry looks like in an absolute pit, what halcyon days of perfection do you yet long for?

I think that’s a pretty major mischaracterisation personally. From what I recall there were some performance issues (framerate stuttering) at release but nothing gamebreaking. It wasn’t a live service game with the skeleton of a promised roadmap, or borderline unplayable like 2077.

I think the new Mario (Wonder?) is also out this year yeah.

Several of the questlines weren’t finished and had to be patched in later over time (in some cases making them uncompletable because you were already past the step needed to make the patched part progress), the multiplayer was entirely broken for months to the point of people (me lol) getting tempbanned from the game due to constant crashes and disconnects because of just how poorly implemented easyanticheat was (and it didn’t even stop cheaters), and no doubt more that I’m forgetting.

The days before Halo became the hollow 2000-player husk it has become today, before Command & Conquer randomly became some sort of pseudo-moba and then died forever, taking most of the RTS genre down with it, before Saints Row jumped an entire ocean of sharks, and games like f.ex Prototype still popped up.

But I think most of all I really just miss being able to assume that a game would be finished on its release. This falling from the standard has really damaged my ability to enjoy them.

1 Like

There’s a strawberry seed in my molar that I can feel but not see. No way of telling where it is and how to be rid of it.

Sanity DoT active…

From a nerd/lore perspective, it’s less :biting_lip: sensitive touch and more :skull: as they are not erogenous. The Lekku are literally their brains.

But that’s not what anybody took away from it.

Not gonna lie, I do think the days of CoD4 (Modern Warfare, the first) and Halo: Reach were pretty much the Golden Age.
City of Heroes was still alive back then, too.
What a time to be alive…

1 Like

It’s out in October.

Oldheads be like “old thing good, current thing bad”
not me though
I’m an oldhead who remembers the absolute slurry of shovelware games, movie tie-ins, or absolute clunkers. And if they were broken or buggy? Well too bad, 'cos ain’t patching back then, unless you got sent a disc with it on.

You can for sure name a handful of real standouts, but the cream always rose to the top of a poop-soup. Remember the good and forget the bad. It happened in 2003, it’ll happen again in 2023.

4 Likes

Every gamer has a different gold standard of which era was the best one and laments that we will never see it’s like again. Probably it’s linked in with adolescence idk. 2004 gets bandied around as the big one a lot.

But for me, I’m still impressed with some of the incredible games that are coming out these days. Persona 5 was mind blowing when that hit me in 2020 for example, same with Breath of the Wild.

Sure some of the corpos are trying their best to chase after every trend they can and bringing some once great franchises down with it, but there’s still incredible work being done out there and I’m pretty content with where things are for the most part.

My only gripe to speak of is development times being so lengthy. You can’t knock out yearly or twice yearly entries for major flagship series these days like you could in the late 90’s. Unless you’re Pokemon that is, and the less said about that the better. But that’s not the fault of developers, it’s just where we are with technology.

Nah, it was just the perfect time when I had time, multiplayer games that felt, for the most part, balanced and the internet was, while still a bit grubby, not quite as grody as it has become all over these days.

There’s still absolute gems coming out these days; the Horizon games, Fromsoft games, less Triple A stuff like Hades, Dead Cells, Deeprock Galactic etc.
But it definitely feels like the churn to ‘produce the next AAA banger’ from big name studios has corroded the marketplace somewhat.

1 Like

Ended up in Caverns of Time while levelling, and now I am scared that the infinite dragons coming next patch will lose their iconic echo forever : (

“Thrall-thrall-thrall! Come outside and face your fate-fate-fate…”

3 Likes

THE TIME HAS COME TO SHATTER THIS CLOCKWORK UNIVERSE FOREVER-EVER-ᴇᴠᴇʀ

2 Likes

Genius marketing back then tbh because you know that the moment I saw a Phantom Menace game hit the shelves I was picking that up. Is it any good? Who cares, it’s a game just like the movie!

Probably depends on the elf but yeah. They don’t twitch if they’re numb.

1 Like

It rhymes with their /emotes tbh and it also goes hand in hand that - despite working with each other for so long - the humans of Dalaran still can’t match an elf’s facial expression with their emotions/talk. Just can’t get a read on em’ or their archaic formality.

Telaryn will have the actual quote somewhere.

1 Like