Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

“hm, today i shall do a battleground while levelling my alt,” i say, before having to wait for 30 minutes to be put into a match of dudes with 5x the amount of health based on item level alone, oneshotting everyone

cool!

1 Like

The neighbours have the grill going
this is very unfair

It’s like when all the classic rts base builders tried to retrofit moba mechanics and remove bases. And then they all died.

3 Likes

, the end.

2 Likes

The good ending.

A green energy future for all.

5 Likes

Reject modern RTS & Grand Strategy games.

Embrace old-school turn based Heroes of Might and Magic.

5 Likes

HoM&MII menu music starts playing in my head…

3 Likes

HoMM3 was perfection in gameplay, but 2’s presentation with both the graphics and full on opera music is something truly special.

3 Likes

3 is good, but 2 still holds supremacy in my heart, I think. The style, the units, the music. Peak, peak, peak. 10/10.

1 Like

And always play Necropolis to annoy your friends with unlimited units.

1 Like

(Heroes 3 is 75% off on GoG at the moment, too~)

1 Like

Tbh, in that thing we dont speak of, Kane ended up being quite the enviromentalist, made sure all the Tiberium was removed from earth!

3 and 5 will always be my favourite. 5 was the last good one.

3 Likes

Heroes 5 will always hold a very dear place in my heart, because the graphics looked great, the music was fantastic, the Sylvan town was amazing, and the gameplay was fun!!!

Haven’t played 6 onwards, and played very little of 4. People love 4 but I couldn’t get into it.

I will say, while HoMM3 was great, it’s probably last in my ranking of HoMM5 > HoMM2 > HoMM3. Not necessarily sure why, perhaps the pixelated graphics let my child brain make up the graphics on my own whereas HoMM3 tried to have better graphics that didn’t stick. Visually it’s definitely the bottom of the three (HoMM4 is the bottom tho).

Another reason why HoMM5 was amazing: the 3D TOWN VISUALS AHHHHH!!! So peeved they stopped doing that, which I get - it’s expensive. But still!!

3 Likes

Ubisoft really rivals EA for ruining game franchises/studios.

3 Likes

I personally didn’t care for 4 because of how different it was. I can accept it more now in hindsight, but it stands out so much from the others.

If a basic phone gacha data mill can manage, so can Ubisoft.

2 Likes

For me it was mostly just that you had like, 4 tiers of units and you made a choice for each tier. So while the dual towns was interesting, at the end I was like ‘wait that’s it? that’s my big guy unit?’

Especially when Nature had like, just animals… and then some other faction had something actually that sounded like a different tier, instead of wolves and tigers being separate tiers or w/e they were.

1 Like

I really appreciated 5’s update on the base mechanics with two separate rows of unit upgrades. Sure sometimes, one is obviously better than the other, but often enough there is a choice based on visual design and your personal flavour.

Yeah, I never got to play that update, but you best believe my poor youth with still broken English managed to piece together and imagine the other upgrades through browsing some Polish sort-of-wiki pages for the game. I understood about 1% and it was enough for me to think about which upgrade I’d choose and so on.

(the signs of the 'tism were all there)

1 Like

peace through power

2 Likes