Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

I still find it really curious how HoMM and some other games have become such a staple in parts of eastern europe that about 90% of the mod or community that still handles them is often from there.

IIRC the devs were Eastern European / Russian (likely how Owlcat got hold of them so they developed the crusade management for WotR or something), so it doesn’t surprise me.

1 Like

Or embrace the greatest RTS to ever grace the PC; Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.

1 Like

That’s a funny way to spell Age of Empires 2 :thinking:

Consider dawn of war: dark crusade.

Transmog peeve:

This cloth armor is only available to NPC’s, despite the dark purple version and red version are already available to players.

But this specific color version of the robe is only available to NPC’s and I dunno why. It looks fantastic!

Could work for a human, night elf, nightborne, blood elf, void elf, Draenei, etc.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Fialla_Sweetberry

All these dweebs sleeping on Battle for Middle Earth 1 & 2. I’ve played Dark Crusade too and that was alright.

2 Likes

I have to keep shilling World in Conflict because people constantly ask for an RTS that does what they did nearly 20 years ago

Was very good, no lie. Dawn of War, even the king that was 1, sadly fell victim to whoever being in charge of the Expansions and the Patches being a God Damn Moron.

Making all elite/late game units 0-1. Making the Land Raider be a 0-1 as if it was on level with a Baneblade? Making non Assault Terminators be near useless in melee? Making any Imperial Guard unit a 0-1 (Kasrkin? Ogryns? Get Out.) and then steadily ruining Tau with the likes of making Broadsides go from x3 per squad to just 1.
And then nerfing it so you could only have a handful of turrets on the entire map. Useless. Discraceful. -spits in Imperial Guard grinding assault doctrine-

Dawn of War vanilla multiplayer was the best it ever got, tbqh. Eternal war, in all its glory.

1 Like

I liked it when I summoned a big demon man who fought the spacemen

2 Likes

laughs in ressurection orb

neighbours garden party is still going
woke up twice from it now
got wprk in a couple hours
ugh

Young me enjoyed massing artillery and riflemen and waiting for the inevitable helicopter charge at the arti for them to be shot down by said riflemen.

2 Likes

4 had the best writing in the series (only the vanilla campaigns; the expansions were garbage). And while many found the gameplay controversial, I personally liked it.

Emilia and Gauldoth’s campaigns were my favorites.

Can’t speak for the rest of Eastern Europe, but in Russia it was a combination of several factors.

Russia didn’t have gaming consoles and skipped the console classics the West played during the Soviet times. Meanwhile, PCs spread across the country after the fall of the Soviet Union, but were perceived as a relative rarity in the nineties, and Internet access was almost unheard of. HOMM’s hot seat mode was a blessing here. We used to gather at the homes of those of our friends who had computers and take turns playing. It helped that HOMM wasn’t demanding of system resources and ran on old PCs.

(I myself didn’t get a computer of my own until 2001, when I was 14. My current desktop computer is a distant descendant of that one, gradually Ship-of-Theseus’d several times over.)

2 Likes

Battle Realms is an rts worth remembering :pray:

I sure do love having nothing to do at work…

Old games can be super regional with what languages have guides and bug fixes for them. It’s kinda funny.
Until BG3 early access came around I never googled anything for BG2 in English simply because the German forums and wikis were miles better.

1 Like

I scared my friends with my ability to headshot insta kill zombie dogs in 7 days.

Dog bit me so I just turned around and destroyed its head.

I’m just a Knife Guy

3 Likes

Standing back and mashing buttons is not gameplay don’t believe their lies