Pet peeves: The return (Part 4)

Push idiot into the bathroom because he can in fact go to the toilet on his own. Get dressed for bed, hear a “MAO” so come to the bathroom and he’s just sitting on the floor by his litter tray waiting for me to accompany him peeing

The absolute cheek of this animal

1 Like

No but it’s a nice break for the brain where you can just jam to the music and maybe drink some water. Makes it so you can do the other segments extra sweaty. Stay hydrated, gamers.

“Parent! Watch me do the thing!”

Not much of an instakill if it takes you 7 days.
:clown_face:

3 Likes

:older_woman:

strapping a tv to my chest and playing the Ring on repeat so everyone who sees me gets a death clock
take that zombos

3 Likes

If the Ring wanted to jump the shark, the sequel would have the tape play on national tv and youtube sponsorship integrations.

Legitimately surprised this film hasn’t been made honestly.
Maybe it has.
When the Purge movie series is splitting the united states into the Gay State and the Black State, surely Ring-via-WHAT’S UP MY BUDS, WELCOME TO ANOTHER BANGER VIDEO, SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON is an easy sell.

2 Likes

That’d be a bad play for the Ring, everybody knows no one watches the sponsorship segments. It’d be like a text-based Ring but it only appears in Terms of Service segments.

I don’t remember the lore. Does a person need to watch the whole tape or are the first few seconds enough? If the latter, than all a creator needs is to make a smooth enough segway into it.

I don’t remember the lore either, but I’m fairly certain you needed to see more than just ‘Anyway, let me thank this week’s sponsor, the Rin-- [skip]’.

Sadako in Raid Shadow Legends when?

1 Like

Meanwhile alot of swedish guides were a coinflip and a part of why I learned english quickly was to look up game stuff :frowning: especially pokémon related.

It was not uncommon that the top-rated(by like 500+) guides on swedish guide forums was something like: “If you want super mario in your pokémon yellow then fart really hard on the game.” Instead of anything constructive.

Completely unrelated to gaming forums, but still related to german gaming I will not forget :frowning: I bought a game exactly once in germany. The box was in german but I knew the game so I thought it would be okay.

Come home to find that all the text is in german, the game is also dubbed in german and the other language options had been removed aswell.

1 Like

Yeah the other languages not being on the disk/cartridge used to be a thing. Either because of license or space issues.
And unless a game is rather niche you can expect everything here to be translated into German, with a 80% chance of also being dubbed. These days you can change the language to whatever you like though.
The translation + dubbing just comes with being a big market. Got enough people stacked into this country for it to be worth doing from an economic standpoint.

1 Like

I find it really interesting culturally on how dubbing is done, because I know it’s big in so many countries.

Meanwhile in Sweden, dubbing has this air of “it’s for children” sort of. Kid things are dubbed, usually with the same six voice actors for EVERYTHING and then anything considered for adults/teens is kept english.

Despite so many here being quite bad at english :smiley:

1 Like

You’re lucky, we only have one voice actor doing the voices for everyone. The same male voice droning over the Spanish telenovelas, both female and male voices get talked over by this low deep bored voice.

1 Like

That sounds both hilarious and absolutely horrible.

It’s the only way you’d experience anything foreign here, at least in the past. Even cartoons were that way I think.

1 Like

Dubbing here has a wide range in terms of quality. You really notice it when they don’t pay a lot for it. But then there’s also the odd gem dub that actually improves some stuff.

And for Holywood actors we have people who only dub one specific person in those movies.
But they also do other voice work so you sometimes get random nature documentaries voiced by the guy who dubs for Bruce Willis.

Passive vs active language acquisition isn’t symmetric so I’m guessing many Swedes may have better passive skills? When I started playing on AD my active vocab in English was terrible even though I understood everyone just fine.

1 Like

I once learned that a sign of wisdom is being able to change one’s mind in the light of new evidence, in which case allow me to be uncharacteristically wise;

After a day in Birmingham being lead down a coal mine by a delightful old man with a sing song voice; I officially renounce my earlier claim that I didn’t like the Birmingham accent and instead declare it akin to Yorkshire and Cockney as the accent of honest working folk

Still no change on Liverpool (sorry Stonetower)

My wisdom is knowing that I am always correct and therefore don’t need to change, but that’s very me-specific.

1 Like