Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

My dwarf is on pretty cordial terms with elves and doesn’t base her entire personality around booze!

I’m trying to avoid the grating stereotypes while still making her recognizably a dwarf, like I (hopefully) did with Lintian and night elves.

1 Like

I’ve had some extremely fun (friendly!) interactions with my Priestess of the Moon and a bunch of Wildhammer Dwarves while out campaign-ing, one of my fonder RP memories!

5 Likes

You forget left handed and sea elves.

Aren’t all elves ambidextrous–

…Oh right, wrong setting.

Bloody lefties.

https://i.imgur.com/sT3sz03.png

There’s plenty of good dwarf roleplayers out there with cool takes on dwarves, but there’s also a lot who use all of the typical dwarf tropes and stereotypes as a crutch, rather than as spice.

2 Likes

I regret my curiosity.

They at least have something vague written about them.
Sinestral Elves sounds cooler than it actually is.

Especially so because the dwarf/elf rivalry in Warhammer Fantasy is extremely specific - the War of Vengeance is very particular and well-trodden ground

1 Like

And some cling to the rivalry more tightly than others and they’d still fight Chaos together if needs must.

to be fair i don’t think you can expect the average ‘hehe och that’s a groodgin laddie elf!!’ poster to come close to warhammer fantasy’s glorious nuance, in which even borgio the besieger and gossipa lotta (this is her actual name) end up more nuanced characters than those

4 Likes

The more I learn about Warhammer Fantasy, the more fortunate I feel that I remain blissfully unaware of its lore.

It’s probably my favorite fantasy setting in general!

1 Like

I appreciate it a lot - especially so with the lore of Grombrindal/Snorri and Malekith, those two loved each other deeply

1 Like

maomer, more snake than elf…

I am now reminded of the dwarf rp’er who mixed Warhammer with Elden Ring. She had a Book of Grudges, and while we were talking about monsters haunting the city ( Sewer monster) she kept talking about a Dung Eater.

That was wild.

I was contemplating reading the War of Vengeance book, but I’m not sure.
Reading Ursun’s Teeth at the moment.

The best dwarf RPers I’ve ever RP’d with were at our Middle-earth LARP last year.

They acted their characters out with such gusto! To me one of the highlights of the entire game was the night of the first day, when a delegation of theirs came to Nargothrond to discuss trade, and they were just… being dwarves in a good and adorable way, easy-going yet with a bit of a prankster-y streak.

(Also one of them was actually an elf who got cursed into believing she was a dwarf, and took on their mannerisms. They humored her and let her wear a fake beard until they found a way to break the curse.)

It was also funny to witness their insistent terminology: they didn’t like having their city called Nogrod (because that’s its Elvish name) and only called it Tumunzahar. On the road there, they even placed two pointer signs: one read “Nogrod” and pointed to a road that abruptly ended at a stream (and another sign saying basically “**** off”), and one read “Tumunzahar” and led to the right place.

Hey we were talking about Elder Scrolls initially.
I enjoy Warhammer, some things are worth trying.
Although reading about skaven for drawn out periods is bad for the brain.

3 Likes

I don’t want to know, do I?

Also, incase WH3 players wonder why it may take a while for dwarves to load in, this is the reason:

1 Like