Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

Read Gotrek and Felix books and then (or mix in at the right point) Thanquol. You’ll understand.

I am still peeved by the new Grudge/Age of Reckoning mechanic.

They can give Grobi, Urks and rats interesting mechanics that fully control, but the Dawi have to be at the mercy of arbitrary, rushed turn limits and RNG? Rush? Rush?!
That’s a Grudgin’!!

1 Like

I fear I do not have any warhammer books, and while I love playing the game, I think that is how far my interest in WH: Fantasy goes :frowning:

Is it only a certain part of the Skaven being disturbing, or just all of the things that make them disturbing?

I have to try out the new grudge system still, but yes, constantly having to rush does not sound like fun -at all-.

1 Like

I’m glad they changed the range slightly and removed the additional cost to LL factions if you confed minors.

Oh no. They’re just paranoid egotists and they talk how they do and it can be a bit mad.

3 Likes

I think I’m already getting a headache trying to imagine myself reading an entire skaven-conversation…

15 turns still feels very jank at the start, especially when you’re working with basic units, and having to chase down goblins and skaven stacks. Mountains should be navigated at a leisurely pace, not barreled around :pensive:

In my opinion, it’s not. I’m sure it’s totally fine for people who play on Very Hard/Very Hard or full Legendary difficulty and who can cheese more than a rat (though I saw videos from even the longterm good players saying it wasn’t good still, so maybe I’m vindicated)

It put me off my Thorgrim campaign because, militarily, I was doing fine. Slow, steady, grinding the enemies of the Karaz Ankor into mortar paste as is right and proper.
But I missed out on scraping out of the second-last slot by one turn because an enemy army Underwayed back and forth and I was like 2% shy of progress, and there was NOTHING I could do to control that.
I detest mechanics that remove player control. They’re not fun, they’re not challenging, and there’s too blooming many of them…

1 Like

Dwarfs being bound by archaic, arbitrary rules dictating their entire civilization onto a very avoidable and surefire path to failure and misery is 1000% on point lore wise.

Gameplay wise, myeh.

I’m not certain that Lintian would enjoy any of the Warhammer elves based on what I’ve read in the Warcraft Retrospective, but they are certainly unique and their own thing, full of interesting details and depth, just like the Warhammer dwarves.

Though I’d argue that there’s definitely some tragedy behind the history of the Warhammer elves that feels very Tolkein to me, namely the tale of Aenarion and his son, Malekith. The modern high elves and dark elves feel a bit like generic fantasy fare (even if that is because they inspired a lot of later depictions of elves in fantasy) but there’s something mythical about their older lore.

1 Like

It, frustratingly, would work well if they did similar to the Waaagh mechanic, tbh.

Get presented with a list of Those What Have Wronged Us, and you can declare who’s going to get a hammer upside the head. THAT should be 100% player controlled and triggered, so the timer only starts when you want it to.

Having the Grudge points or w/e as a secondary mechanic could be fine on its own, and go towards, I dunno, research or units or something?

To be honest I never play higher than normal either. I don’t mind at times trying higher difficulties, but it depends on what the higher difficulty rating does.

If , in warhammer’s case, it just makes the AI cheat , then its no fun and I do not consider it worthwhile to try and “skill” my way around that. That just sounds like pointlessly torturing yourself.

It’s why after doing it once, i’m not bothering with Deathmarch on Witcher 3 ever again, seeing as the monsters and foes you fight do not gain new abilities or something, they just get extra HP and damage.

Yeah if something like that happened, I’d probably call it quits too.

The WAAGH! from Greenskins was actually very fun.

1 Like

It’s significantly better than it was - your starting army is enough to get you started for a good grudging, and it snowballs. Only the very first level is negative for you (and you have to do basically nothing for 15 turns to get that) so it’s less about avoiding downsides and instead just stacking bonuses.

Less like the greenskin waagh which is all about building up for a big fight and more just a consistent, methodical grinding down of anything bigger than you

1 Like

It’s just frustrating how much a coin-toss the reworks are.

Orc overhaul? Amazing. They’ve been fun ever since.
Beasts of Chaos? Stunning. Went from being literal trash tier to a force of nature.

Dwarves? Went from Meh to Meh But Different Flavour
Empire? Fixed the mechanical issue for most things, but didn’t fix the fact the two starts in the Empire are surrounded by :ox: :poop: that make starting even on Easy/Norml frustratingly un-fun, re: Oops, All Beastmen, Orcs and Chaos beating your allies to a pulp.

1 Like

I already was tempted to try out that new dwarf hero, and replay the game again so, sounds nice.

I would love to do a Grombrindral campaign but, I will be honest, Naggaroth is just depressing to look at for prolonged amounts of time and I just don’t like being there. Rather fight in Lustria or the southlands. For similar reason I’m not such a fan of the area where the Chaos Dwarves live either.

1 Like

southlands thunderdoooooome

(Thorek Ironbrow is down there, and he’s a very fun campaign)

3 Likes

Apparently they’re changing the title of Dragon Age: Dreadwolf to…something else, presumably which will be revealed at summer games fest.

A shame if so, I’ll miss DADWolf, but just so long as they don’t go lazy “Dragon Age 4” it’ll probably be fine.

I’d also like to veto any titles that start with ‘Re’. No Resurrections, Reckoning, Return, or anything of the sort.

4 Likes

Dragon Age: ReEgging
or DeEgging?

Hehe, I experienced Lustria Moshpit myself :stuck_out_tongue:

Dragon Age: Scrambled

Leave me alone.

Also this is my warhammer army;

(I don’t play warhammer, I just saw this and was like; “I’d do this”)

2 Likes

At least Malakai’s underway allows you to attack other armies because it isn’t underway… ITS THUNDERBARGE BABY!

1 Like