Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

What is that exactly? That is, what’s usually involved in an attitude for it to classify as catty high school drama?

For some it confuses me. And this irritates me.

Oh I know, I’ve just seen far more of it in FF compared to WoW personally.

Speaking for myself, stuff I’ve seen back in high school myself and usually less direct insults and more like snide remarks, very passive-aggressive comments and tones, and then more direct backtalk and trashtalking whenever someone isn’t there.

To give a direct FF example because it was one of the first I experienced, ran a content group with a friend. Had some people in there who for whatever reason felt like they had a problem with her and started to give negative comments. No direct insults or “lol noob” kinda things, but very petty snarky remarks on any mistake she did.

When she also eventually had to leave mid-run, those who made the comments really went to properly smack talk as soon as she wasnt there to read the chat. And then got very defensive about it when I was still there and pointed that out.

I’ve also heard that being a more common thing in guilds on FF too. Generally alot of talking behind peoples back then being superficially friendly when they’re online. All with a hinted aura of hostility.

2 Likes

I’ve had snide remarks about me not DPSing because i was fighting to keep my tank alive because their health was yoyo-ing (not from the tank, from one of the DPS)

Told him to focus on his rotation and not on what i was doing thanks.

“you’re only casting one spell”

“boy, most my CDs are instant cast and I was having to use them all.”

EDIT: Also like, lets not even begin the whisper from catgirl #395876743950 on my fem highlander about “did you mean to make your character look trans?”

“Ma’am, do you whisper all fem highlanders this or am i just extremely (un)lucky cuz you’re hella rude”

3 Likes

Sheer jealously over your highlander just being absolutely hotter than them.

2 Likes

Kisses

XOXOX

4 Likes

Absolutely fab

1 Like

if i can add to that FF also has a frankly, to my dissapointment, transphobic playerbase, some of it so open its shocking. I had an FC mate who had no issue stating to me he thought trans lesbians were just guys in drag. the only thing that horrified me more was that support did nothing about the report of the slurs that followed.

fictional cops can be good. there are plenty of examples. i know vi’s lore. if there was anyone acab doesnt apply to its her. same goes for caitlyn. and frankly i worry for the takes that people will be dropping when Camille enters the scene.

you are fabulous please continue

3 Likes

There’s a zebra crossing that I use on my way to/from work and almost every day, despite me standing right at it, some tosser keeps on driving through even with ample time to slow to a stop.

Makes me think I should start investing in one of these
https://i0.wp.com/irishcycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/03/PXL_20231010_080652488.jpg?fit=1154%2C869&quality=89&ssl=1&w=640

2 Likes

I’m excited to go out tomorrow for Pride and birthday stuff, so no doubt tonight is gonna go slooooooooooooooooooooooow.

I’m already bored.

2 Likes

https://imgix.bustle.com/uploads/image/2020/8/27/f05cd999-8325-47a2-9caf-a49396d34cb3-egcmigfwoaatlg.jpeg

It might have already been mentioned, but this DAVe (Dragon Age: Veilguard) promo art is - we can assume - the party plus the player character (7 companions confirmed).

And I ain’t seeing a dwarf there…

1 Like

Okay, DAVe is pretty good I’ll give the fans that

2 Likes

I am on exactly 111000 words in my book, not finished though, off I continue.

I came up with it.

…others might have separately come up with it too, but if so I didn’t see them. I saw people saying “DAVG” and David Gaider said “no thx” so then I thought DAVe would be a fine alternative.

:fist: keep on truckin

2 Likes

Canon accepted, it is now DAVe

2 Likes

It’s moreso that far-right extremists try to convert people that already are in the military and police, or are veterans of such, to their cause, especially with how screening has improved - the Reichsburger movement in Germany is a pretty good example of this for example, as they managed to recruit active police force members and a significant chunk of military and special forces staff especially for their would-be coup until they got busted by the German intelligence agencies + police

Extremist political movement recruitment strategies and goals are pretty interesting in general!

2 Likes

Lots of both. One of the clearest tells for extremist and/or violent criminal behaviour is usually either experience in or a failed attempt at the police or military, and the US police in particular have organised gangs in them

Its funny because I only got here from editing previous chapters. I decided at some point that the main character who talks without contractions should have his chapters written without contractions too but IDK where I started doing that so I am currently back in previous chapters to do with him taking out all the apostrophes that I possibly can.

Then i just looked down and saw the funny word count.

I think I am nearing where I started.

The reason i chose this is because all the chapters are from the perspective of which ever of the two main characters it revolves around, so sort of semi first person so obviously the contractionless vampire would think without them too.

1 Like

this is pretty inaccurate in that it only describes a specific sub-group that far-right extremist groups in particular seek to draw into their ranks, and even then only some (especially post-Covid there are a lot of far right groups see anyone that’s involved with the government at any level as ‘the enemy’ and 'traitors to the people), and how far-left extremist groups are largely wholly uninterested in them for similar reasons and currently mostly seek to draw from university, education, and generally (progressive) activism-related spheres (labour unions on the other hand sure have been forgotten about!)

The clearest tell is generally (violent) anti-government (as in: existing governments, rather than the play pretend ones that’ll totally be in place once we take over guys - and not in the ‘i hate my prime minister/governing cabinet’ way) stances, as this is the recurring theme in right about any extremist movement at present, which also drives actions (ex. the Reichburgers in Germany wanting to coup the government and reinstate the German Empire, or anarchist terrorist groups like the FAI/FRI in Italy bombing courthouses and the European Food Safety Authority)

1 Like

Entirely unrelated, but I’m really confused at Amazon continuing to really make New World a thing with some sort of Remaster/Definitive Edition patch kind of ordeal coming in October - they’re probably trying to bet on the Xbox + PS5 release driving up numbers but there’s like 5k people on PC online at any time by now which seems… very little for a one time purchase MMO

Think i tried the New World demo, went “neat” and never booted it up again.

2 Likes