Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

Never seen any kind of bigotry from FF players myself (I play on Omega), but I’m sorry you came across someone like that :frowning:

1 Like

Why not just give all races that don’t have their own druid forms the generic forms that debuted in 10.2, I thought that was what they were introduced for

Lore? “I’m an adventurer, I helped these guys in the Emerald Dream and decided to stay around and learn from them”

2 Likes

ah yes, entire playerbase is x because of a bad encounter with a random guy.

1 Like

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I don’t like that newfangled pride flag with the chevron.

My own LGBT activism years went under the classic rainbow flag, and frankly, I see no reason to redesign it. It’s already meant to include everyone, adding more stripes is just superfluous. In particular, I’m not sure what’s the point of including the trans colors separately from the main rainbow, which is already supposed to cover trans people as well; that’s what the T in LGBT stands for.

(And from a design perspective I find it kind of an eyesore.)

1 Like

the words ‘meant to’ are the operative words in there, and the reason why the progress chevron exists

because people often forget

2 Likes

then i hope you never do coz i know he plays on omega. the irony as well when i know he bragged about having a nsfw gpose account with that kind of content. ugh.

its a hard learned lesson how beneficial it is to cut those people from your life, friends or not

ive met plenty of nice folk on that playerbase. sadly doesnt change the fact its usually the bad ones that catch peoples attention.

1 Like

they should change to this one instead
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/561287824964452363/1034087163924578365/unknown.png?ex=6664fcf8&is=6663ab78&hm=765278093fca07a8914b3a56b4ff05ec1d30076de369b63e8757f19ba029a943&

Often times purposefully as well.
The amount of people willfully not acknowledging the T in the acronym or who are adamant that the A stands for ally and not a-spec :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Personally I’ve grown to like the progress flag with the chevron, it’s only the intersex flag addition that feels like an eyesore to me sadly. I’m not sure if yellow and purple are really meant to go together, but it could maybe work as stripes as well.

However, the point in addition to what Koralash said, is to also highlight and/or put an emphasis on a particular group and their struggles. Naturally, at some point adding to it can feel like ‘too much’ in terms of visual noise, and I can also understand why some groups under the LGBT umbrella might also feel left out because they’re not represented with the progress flag, e.g. ‘why do they get a highlight and not us’.

However, I do think using the standard rainbow flag is also fine, because indeed - the flag is meant to include everyone. We shouldn’t also forget that the rainbow flag itself also came in different variations, there were rainbow flags with pink stripes etc.

5 Likes

Clearly, the answer to adding more and more colors is to make the one universal flag to cover everyone’s use cases.

https://pytamaro.si.usi.ch/activities/luce/rgb-cube/rgb-cube.png

We ran the simulations and that only ends one way I’m afraid:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UakbcKb_154

re. bigotry in ff14, honestly i’d say the community is roughly on par with wow’s in terms of its open transphobic discussions etc. ul’dah shout chat on balmung is basically the same as alliance trade chat

2 Likes

I don’t know what the chat is like, but I do know that I went to Ul’dah on Balmung out of sheer curiosity, peeked into the Quicksand, and never, ever, went there again.

That place is worse than Goldshire.

3 Likes

The chat is so bad that I have the shout and yell permanently turned off so I don’t have to see it. I don’t think the Quicksand is quite as bad as Goldshire, but only because the latter is in a game with TRP/MRP, where it’s way easier to be exposed to super NSFW content.

1 Like

In terms of NSFW stuff, FF is the one game where Iv’e gotten explicit whispers instead of just propositions.

I also saw some public dirty stuff in Limsa a couple of times.

2 Likes

I do also think to note that there is a big cultural difference across the regional DCs in FF much like there is here on WoW.
Personally not seen much anti-queer talk on Light DC but it does happen. Going into the general FF tags on SoMe however? Yeah I see lot of it, primarily from US/NA based players coupled with the usual suspects.

Definetly feels less in your face about it than WoW, but it is there and thankfully gets called out more often than not, in my experience at least.

I still never get ERP DMs. Very insulting tbh.

4 Likes

I’ll send you one, dont worry!

1 Like

I deserve creepy strangers in my tells

Say it like it is, Queen :nail_care: