Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

This.

Ultimately, even if the person don’t think so, if you take on creating and managing a community, you are also responsible for the people in it to quite some extent. Sure, people can do as they wish, but you’re also then responsible for deciding if that is accepted or allowed within your community.

2 Likes

Ironically, that was what “killed” the community in the end really, alongside increasing annoyance and frustration amongst members and different guilds. Most of them already just got on with their own RP and largely ignored the Discord so when annoyance reached its max people just began doing their own things independently entirely - thus severing what little was actually left tying everyone to common cause. Disagreements can only be handled privately for so long and so many times before people eventually realise they’d rather just not have to be in an environment that prompts disagreement so often.

2 Likes

Ironic and amusing that a group which had no problem airing out other people’s wrongdoings and issues in complete public would be almost allergic to even vaguely discuss internal issues or misbehavior outside of private dms.

6 Likes

Peeve: ankle socks. They never quite fit me properly. Bought some new ones (it’s summer after all) and the heel ‘pocket’ part is just bunched up on the back of my ankle as per usual.

6 Likes

Ankle socks can look quite cute and comfortable, but I prefer regular socks. It feels nicer.

1 Like

My suture stitches wounds are hurting, they’re closed and everything, just hurt like hell.

2 Likes

On the plus side, while no online group/community/server will ever be completely free of toxic morality policing bullies, the number has mostly dipped on the forums pretty significantly (excluding a few dedicated sorts).

3 Likes

I read this as future stitches and wanted to know how it worked.

Garbage. Burn them all.
They always come off and end up half way down my foot.

1 Like

[anime voice] you are already stitched.

3 Likes

Reminder to myself: I can draw whatever I want, it doesn’t have to be good or involve a lot of effort

They always slip down and then past my heel

Body when cut: pain
Body when healing: also pain

why?

3 Likes

That’s why i’m in the big white socks and brown/beige sandal club with Akamito.

Sun’s out? Time to grill.

1 Like

Majestic.

Better if steel and bowstring prevail without further aid from the arts, for the constant use of mighty spells sometimes sets forces in motion that might rock the universe.

its been a month and the holes in both my arms from the cannulas are healed.

Both hands though? Still here.

(Yeah, I had 4 and a cathata, I was at a dangerous risk of getting an infection with that many open wounds)

1 Like

Oh you guys are German?

2 Likes

Its weirdly uncanny and yet familiar how you get similar cliques up and running in every rp community. Reminds me of being a month into gw2 asura rp before i was introduced to the “ruling body” of the community. A skype clique that included a 15 year old mean girl, a divorced 40 year old woman and their (and i wish i was joking) ‘yes mlady’ goons that said mean things about people.

In hindsight you can laugh about it

3 Likes

I’d be Levey’s yes m’lady goon but she hasn’t asked yet

3 Likes

I could write essays on how RPing communities especially attract a certain predictable range of personalities and psychological profiles for various reasons and how the hierarchies within gravitate and insulate until you end up with rather quite similar castes of individuals serving a machine to gratify a select few.

Guilds as a general thing are a launchpad from which the shape of the pattern is decided and larger gatherings have a distinct configuration determined partly by seniority and partly by outward aggressiveness (not hostile, extroverted) where the social bulldozers with a lot of community capital are enabled further.

Depending on the setting, this can be as benign as agreed upon community organising rotated between the most able and willing to something as unfortunate as narcissists abusing those beneath them (in various, even illegal ways) with the implied threat of taking the community down with them if ever defied.

Keeping an eye out for red flags is important but so is conscious analysis of one’s own thinking given how easy it is to turn the benign organiser into the narcissistic extortionist by personal bias (I’ve been subject to this, myself). Every community is a machine with many moving parts, harmonious or not and knowing what to expect and working with what you have is a way to keep that steady.

It’s particularly interesting how the 40something woman with lots of free time is such a common fixture but no less strange than an above average occurance of neurodivergence and lgbt+ people. RPing is especially attractive to creatives by nature, as much as it attracts people seeking validation, community and of course power over others.

Once something has been built as a common effort, it’s difficult to penetrate and those involved are naturally protective of it. It’s why I think it so very important for people to communicate between groups so that a/our server isn’t lost to bickering bubbles gradually losing air if we must have these sorts of communities at all.

A more decentralised effort would be ideal, making the collaborative effort stronger by incentive to exchange ideas and plans but I know how hard it is for people to open up and talk if there’s animosity.

6 Likes

Implying I’m a 40something divorcee.

2 Likes

Well I assumed you’re not a divorcee at least.

Anyway, allow me to provide my application:

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

4 Likes

why does every mmo rp community end up having those i swear

they don’t even need to be actually those two things, but just the vibe

fans will insist she’s such a ‘wine aunt haha’ while she’s actively spewing racist crap (but it’s fine because haha she’s so awesome)

3 Likes