Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

I actually like both of these equally.

It was not until some years ago when I realised that judgment and judgement are both words (but apparently just a case of British or American). Same for lighting and lightning. I thought they were one word and you’d just understand the difference contextually.

It took me ages to figure out there was a second ‘n’ in ‘peninsula’, my kid brain during TBC got so confused why Blizzard would name a zone something that’d repeatedly get censored by the filter.

1 Like

British/American spellings are always a pain to remember - s/z in words, extra e’s or u’s, all sorts

3 Likes

As a non native english user, thank you. This sort of mixup will forever be an irrationally embarrassing failure of my education.

I’m so glad my English teacher in gymnasium made a pretty big distinction between the two and corrected on the style often. However, considering the internet is dominated by American English, I’m not sure if it made things a little less convenient to me lmao

Jesus that was a wild 700 messages ride.

From collective forum posters’ trauma of PCU to Furries & feet, rainbows, the system & voting, civic duty and cats.

Meanwhile I am enjoying the midsummer weekend back in Finland. I wish you all an equally nice midsummer!

5 Likes

I just accept whichever way people use but only type in the British English (because it’s the one I know)

Eh, if in doubt the american spellings are usually easier to remember and the worst you’ll get is a raised eyebrow at ‘aluminum’

and if some rando english person gives you grief about it you can set them on fire

Happy midsommar.

that austin powers clip

3 Likes

ain’t never watched austin powers

I’ll just set fire to anyone who corrects me anyway, because I’m always right. :sunglasses:

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGiQOCX9UbM

average british driver

I just got home and 100+ replies I cannot look through because Pub said so.

I hate football fans as much as I love them for providing me with entertainment.

You are safe this time. For some reason tauren aren’t considered furries by the people who play them (Even though they 100% are), and hooves are not feet.

They’re toes, though.

1 Like

The last time I bothered to really think about BE/AE differences was school because teachers gave you a worse grade when you mixed them.

These days I just set my spell check to BE for most things and then continue to use whatever slang/spelling feels right.
If English wanted to there to be a clear distinction it would actually bother with fixing the spelling but no one does so whatever.

You know what’s worse though? Stuff like build/built, burned/burnt.

Yeah I never got what all the screaming about Worgen and Pandaren being oh so bad for the game was about. This started with Tauren and druids already in it.
Idk what was going on in people’s heads.

4 Likes

send hoof pics

3 Likes

https://64.media.tumblr.com/ec51d5b982ee804a239f2235dd18b904/a3756be23c5d64f8-f0/s1280x1920/4383841b1ec26dc15fab392825d1421f68ae0fc9.jpg

Very occasionally, I think of this image when I consider the connections we make and how different experiences I have with that of my friends and colleagues. I’m not ashamed to say when I first saw it, it affected me deeply, though I took a positive message from it overall.

And then I hear about how my colleague basically eats nothing but cheese toasties for dinner every day and I’m like wow this isn’t just a small gap in our experiences this is a whole canyon huh. I ain’t never gonna even get close to understanding you.

old thing good
new thing…bad.

Twitch is plastered with Elden Ring to a funny extend

Already seen a weapon I really want

1 Like

Paladin gone from 34 to 55.

I am taking a break from WoW for the next lord knows how long to go enjoy the Elden Ring DLC.

Should be back before remix is over though to finish paladin, druid and rogue and then maybe reroll another character.