Pet peeves: The return (Part 6)

The main issue I have with this is primarily how it sadly actually works in most cases. And that is that many marginalized groups of people never even get the chance to show that they’re the most suitable even if they are.

Diversity casting & or hiring helps with that. It might not be perfect, but its there to literally give opportunities for people who likely wouldn’t get that otherwise & or to help normalize showcasing the existence of people that normally do not get as much attention.

I’ve not seen Cleopatra at all, but I saw it had alot of negative comments, and while some of them likely have a point(again I’ve not seen it so I cant comment), many of them at first glance read as it usually does. People suddenly become historical experts and extremely critical the second a show features a woman & especially so if its a non-white one.

That is also a very common issue and why I also personally take a little bit of issue with:

It only ever comes up as a talking point or issue when it’s a queer person, woman or ethnical minority actor or actress.

1 Like

I still to this day don’t understand how pharmacists read doctors’ handwriting. It feels like some kind of secret code for the initiated.

5 Likes

I swear most doctors just deliberately draw the most obnoxious scribble and see if anyone questions it.

I always thought their handwriting sucked, historically, so people couldn’t copy their signatures and prescribe themselves Valium.

1 Like

oh I’m SORRY are we against practicing SELF LOVE in the year of our lady 2024!? Whatever happened to treating yourself to a little treat???

3 Likes

Pharmacists specifically use a shorthand because they have to deal with sometimes literally hundreds of complex prescriptions per day

Because the sensitive white straight man can’t handle his worldview being challenged, it is known. That still doesn’t mean Cleopatra (of infamously incestuously Macedonian Greek heritage) needs to be played by a black actress.

Fantasy characters though? Go wild, I mean I still find it hilarious AD has a budding white nationalist Blood Elf community who were spouting shrill screams when black skin tones were added to the race.

4 Likes

The Egyptians I know here (not Egyptian-Americans or Egyptian-Italians, but my Egyptian colleagues here) were actually upset about Americans appropriating their culture in that series. Keep in mind: here in the global south, African-Americans are widely viewed as just Americans. And we know the difference between an Egyptian, Hausa, Somali, or Malagasy when we meet one just as Italians, Brits etc. know the differences between themselves.

5 Likes

I can understand their reasoning for the casting, but true, it would have been nice representation to have the character played by an actress from the region or close to their heritage.

An example I can think of myself from my own interest/stuff I watch from years ago that got a bit of similar attention was an episode of Supernatural that featured a variety of Gods, including Ganesha and Kali. At the time and in later years, people have discussed that it was a shame and bit off that Ganesha was portrayed by an African American man rather than an actor with indian heritage. Especially since Kali’s actress was exactly this. (Most of the other Gods in that episode also had appropriate actors for their culture. Hermes was another poor example as he was portrayed by a typical white american actor).

I remember this still. Their loss as the dark skintone on blood elves elves looks absolutely gorgeous and fits really well.

3 Likes

My canon Hawke would absolutely top my canon Inquisitor if they both weren’t in respective relationships with Isabella and Sera.

They’d be a cute couple too.

1 Like

You also have a canon version of each RPG protagonist you play? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, I always do!

Every RPG I play, I always have one run or character I consider to be my canon one for the world. The other runs are just alternate non-canon stories.

I also like to think up what happens to them after the story is concluded too.

1 Like

Same!

I even wrote an epilogue fanfic with endings for my Shepard and her companions.

(Except for Jacob. I forgot about him. x_x)

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to do that many times for so many things, I should probably! It seems fun and a nice way to be creative! (I’ve often written little small notes and short scribbes, but not a proper coherent structure).

Don’t worry, so does everyone!

Also as I saw it mentioned a while ago, its a shame that Bioware took the first black companion in the trilogy and gave him two very negative stereotypical traits. He has a deadbeat dad and he also actively cheats on you if you romance him.

Both of which are negative stereotypes often directed at african american men.

3 Likes

Jacob needed a top-to-bottom rewrite honestly

2 Likes

My personal canon ending is essentially:

• My Shepard and Liara living somwhere happily with their kids and being best moms. I’ve never been sure on exactly where, but I can imagine Earth or Thessia, leaning towards the later. They also got a beach house somwhere where they collect seashells for Mordins memory.

• Garrus and Tali have settled on Rannoch. The Geth survived the destroy ending(because its stupid) and live peacefully with the Quarians as equals.

• Grunt is taken in under Wrex’s arms and helps guide the Krogan to a better future with the genophage cured.

• Kaidan and James are rebuilding earth and continuing their military careers. Jack goes back to the Academy and is a role model for troubled kids. Miranda settles somewhere peacefully with her sister and just lives a calm life.

• EDI and Joker are also happily dating.

• The rest I don’t know.

I never liked Vega, or most of the ‘shoe-horned into ME3 when they didn’t need to be’ characters.

I feel entirely vindicated.

1 Like

I found him insufferable at first, especially with the Lola and weird flirting he does with Femshep(that you also can’t ignore/stop directly).

But he does get better and despite being a meathead, he seems like a well-meaning idiot essentially.

Absolutely. It’s clear that they had no idea what to do with him.

2 Likes

He fills up the squad ‘brute/blockhead’ slot.
That is a slot that was reserved for Wrex or my darling son.

How very dare he :angry:

vega that was his name. blegh

honestly i forgot he voiced kanan jarrus in rebels til just now and honestly i am just. im really not okay.

especially having read up on it. he didnt just misgender krem. he made transphobic jokes to double down rather than apologise. ugh

2 Likes

Wait, it’s not just “Iron Bull’s VA”, it’s Freddie Prinze Jr. Damn.

2 Likes